Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Where to put bass knob for sub?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 06:09 PM
rvastang
1st Gear Member

Default Where to put bass **** for sub?

For those of you who have subs/amps with remote bass control *****, where do you install them? I'm looking for a spot that is easily reached from the driver's seat but doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:01 PM
clucas

Which bass **** do you have? A lot of people take them apart and drill out a hole to have just the **** exposed, amd you can put it wherever you want.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:28 PM
rvastang
1st Gear Member

It's just the stock one that came with the amp. And yeah, I was probably going to take it out of its housing, I was just looking for a good spot for it.

I think I found my spot. Inside the center console there's a little plastic panel that you can pop right off. This is someone else's image below where they installed some sort of switch in that same place.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:01 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't worry about installing it. It isn't needed, and you are more likely to blow the amp or sub with it. I have had a few and if I needed more bass I turned it up in the radio settings, or on the amp itself.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:19 AM
clucas

The bass **** will absolutely NOT cause you to blow either your amps or your subs if the gain is set correctly. It will give you a separate control for the volume ofthe subs based on the preset gain adjustment that is determined when the amp is setup, which should only be set once unless there is an equipment change. The gain setting on the amp is not a volume ****. It is the setting based upon the input voltage of the signal to the amp from the audio source ( most likely the head unit). If the gain is set incorrectly, then that will cause damage to either the subs, amps, or both. The bass **** will not allow the amp to put out a signal that is higher than the gain is set. Now, just because you turn the gain up and it gets louder does not mean that the gain is set correctly. At some point the signal being pushed out of the amp is a clipped signal that will cause the damage because the amp is being overdriven. That is why it is important to set the gain correctly and leave it alone. The gain and the bass **** are two different things.

OP: That's a decent spot for the bass ****, but I would consider the fact that you will have to open the console every time you want to make am adjustment. If you mainly listen to the same type of music it may not be that big of a deal though
Old 08-12-2013, 10:59 PM
rvastang
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the explanation, clucas.

Yeah, I know having it in the console wouldn't be great if I were doing constant adjustments, but I really just want it so if my son is sitting in the back I can turn it way down.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:53 PM
clucas

No problem. If my kids ever were to ride in my car I would do the Same thing. Kids only ever ride in the wife's van though.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:44 PM
mturnertech

I mounted mine under the front right corner of the drivers seat. It is easy to reach and adjust. I took a strap of metal that was about 1" wide, and 3/32" thick. I bent it at the proper angles and drilled a hole in it for the bass ****. Works great.

Michael
Old 10-07-2013, 10:59 PM
rvastang
1st Gear Member

I ended up putting it in the center console like I was thinking. It's easy to reach when I need it and well-hidden.