Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Audio/Visual Electronics
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Need a little info on (touch screen) head units

Old 09-09-2011, 08:32 PM   #41
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008, V6, PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souldriver View Post
im getting mine installed next friday morning ill let you know the details of how it is with the s197 and all the technical bits.
Sounds good, can't wait man! Thanks for the input btw, I appreciate it.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

Steeda CAI, 91 tune, GT axle-backs w/ H-pipe, P/P stock TB. Dinosaurs!
aaquib1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:03 PM   #42
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008, GT/CS

After going through them all..Ya, I don't think I'd even waste the money on the other units.

Haven't heard much good about the Jensen ones. AVH-P3300BT or the AVH-P4300DVD and just adding the BT module would be the way to go I think. The 4300 is what I'd personally go with if I was forced to go this route.

Both are WQVGA (480x240) resolution displays, but you get the full 7' from the 4300, with that low a res, it will make a difference when viewing; especially with movies. WQVGA (480x240) display with anti-glare coated LCD screen with either one, in fact, essentially the exact same internals I'm betting aside from the BT module and screen size. Same RMS wattage, etc..

A true transflective coating would be preferable, but I might be expecting too much there from these.

AVH-P4300DVD Pioneer page
AVH-P3300BT Pioneer page

Between the actual AVH-P4300DVD and the
Bluetooth module for it, looks to be about $180 more for it. Around $500-$525 total priced out from sonic electronix, might be a bit cheaper elsewhere though.

Only 1 real drawback...USB...you'll have to buy an extension cable since it's on the back of that unit.

Last edited by wayne613; 09-09-2011 at 09:16 PM.
wayne613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #43
Souldriver
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang GT/CS

yeah the 4300 is nto for me. yeah the screen is bigger but it has the same resolution so it will actually be less sharp. then i have to buy the BT and usb cable.
Souldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:13 AM   #44
Souldriver
1st Gear Member

Im getting things installed now.3 hours for the headunit and sub install. they said there is no rear input so the console aux input has no where to go. Ill report back more after.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:43 PM   #45
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souldriver View Post
Im getting things installed now.3 hours for the headunit and sub install. they said there is no rear input so the console aux input has no where to go. Ill report back more after.
Thanks man, sounds good. Hope everything goes ok.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:40 PM   #46
Souldriver
1st Gear Member

ok got it installed. headunit and MTX sub.
at first i was like ok it sounds better. bass has better depth and can be turned up past where anyone would like it. i drove it home happy but i did notice an odd sound in the vocal frequencies. but you know what it must have been the demo cd.
i put in my cd and UGH it was bad as in the first day i wanted to take it back and have them put in the regular headset again. things were muddled and just really mehh.
the next couple of days i spend time fiddling with it and i get the cd to sound decent.
i then do my mp3. oh god. it sounded like a a bad bit rate recording on a cheap ihome of sorts. i really wanted to rage at this point but i stuck with it. i did major changes to the EQs and sound setting and right now i have it sounding at the same quality as the factory did just with more features and better bass. there is still an odd sound in the frequencies around the mids and vocals but its very much reduced and nothing sounds like a "blanket" is on it anymore. I havnt gotten back to the cd yet. nor have i tried my mp3 through the usb connection nor have i tried the dvd or sd card slot. but there is a lot to play with and ive only fooled with it while driving to and forth from work at red lights. there is an annoying white noise i cant get out and i dont know if thats from the signal to noise ratio or something else. also the console aux input doesnt work but there is a $30 module they told me they can get to make it work. too bad they told me AFTER the install. ::rolls eyes:: i would of sprung for it b.c that wire i have is long and messy.
as for the gadgets, blue tooth sunk up really nice but I havnt tried it yet. they put the mic sticking out clipped to the roof behind the rear view. I dont notice even when looking in the rearview, but it still is visable so i may have them move it when i get the module put in for the console aux.
eq could have been better but it works. odd frequencies chosen and you can only plus and minues by 2db. the high end only goes to 10khz instead of 16 or even 13. im used to 10 band EQs where you can adjust the boost or cut by .01s and not a full 2. im also used to some where you can change the frequencies and the bands "width" to further tweak it all. so this is good for the masses but i wish it was a bit better for me. i mean really making it go by 1s instead of 2s isnt that hard. each audio source can have its own custom EQ or you can make one universal one for it all. it also has bass boost which IMO is dumb since you have an EQ and a subwoofer control. and a loudness control. i kept loudness off in the beginning but after tweaking everything i need it on high or everything sounds like a blanket was tossed on it. high pass is set at 125hz and up sub does 100hz and lower, i dont like that there is a gap but im trying to figure out what sounds better. I also keep playing with the subwoofer phasing to see which one is right, I know people say sometimes the door subs and aftermarket back subs cancel out due to phasing etc etc so im playing wiht it. I also still need to upload a picture for the background. included ones are cool but i would rather a picture of my own. I also put the signal source all the way down and turned up my mp3s volume to help with the white noise. but between songs and during quiet passes its there.

all in all it sounds the same if not better right now, but im still playing with it.
youre mileage may vary bc i used a Pioneer dealer but he only really installs kenwood stuff. so he ordered it and installed it nice but wasnt up to date on the headunit itself so there was a lot of self discovery. If i didnt know how to eq all that stuff i might still be pissed and going back there, but if you go ta a guy that knows the headunit and how to tweak it you should be fine. the guy i went to didnt even set the time and date right.
oh and i dont like the fact it only does 12hr am/pm time. 24 hour time please and thanks.

Last edited by Souldriver; 09-20-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:30 PM   #47
Souldriver
1st Gear Member

update:
still havnt tried a DVD but...
I took the EQ and put everything down 6db, so now everything is in the negative except one or two things. same shape, same curve but everything is down 6db this cut down on the white noise dramatically and i think helped the overall sound. doing this turned down the over all volume but now instead of the volume being 10 out of the 40. its now 20 out of the 40.

I no longer go into the car and the first thing i notice is the sound being "off" now i notice that it is pretty darn good. one or two songs dont agree with the EQing but in literally 3 button presses its fixed menu>EQ>cut/boost frequency>fixed. once you get used to it you can do it without looking.
At this point im done with the audio int he car. Im an audio nut but the cost vs benefit of getting the speakers and amps done right now is not worth it. it will increase clarity and some depth but this sounds pretty darn good. plus thats more money AND more time EQing it all. plus a sub and headunit are easy to take out at resale. speakers... ehhh not so much and you never get back on that.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:35 PM   #48
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

I see, sounds like it was a good deal then? I might get the unit sometime before the months end, but I have to get a shop to install too so we'll see.

How is the call quality on the bluetooth? Thanks for all the help man, I really appreciate your time and input.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:28 PM   #49
Franchi
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 06 Mustang GT and 04 Mustang V6

Good info. I was considering getting http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mHr4g25...KW-AVX640.html just now but gonna wait a bit and do some more research.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #50
Souldriver
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaquib1992 View Post
I see, sounds like it was a good deal then? I might get the unit sometime before the months end, but I have to get a shop to install too so we'll see.

How is the call quality on the bluetooth? Thanks for all the help man, I really appreciate your time and input.
well, it synches up nice and easy, i just needed to turn bluetooth on in my phone. i forgot if i mentioned this but my HTC incredible has inputs for first and last names. last names get displayed first on the headunit so it may be odd finding them at first. I dont have enough friends or enough time driving around to get a call yet. other reported the bluetooth is good but i have no first hand experience yet.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #51
ldk59

Vehicle: 06 Pony

Just a little above your target, but this HU is MUCH better then what you've posted links to thus far...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200596986724...ht_1644wt_1396

Do a search on the model number, you'll find the reviews are better than you'd expect for units in it's price range.

HTH

Larry K
Old 10-08-2011, 03:34 PM   #52
Ronbo

Vehicle: 64 1/2 Mustang (departed but not forgotten)

I first bought some unknown brand unit to save a couple of hundred bucks, it lasted six months. Get a name brand.
I then bought a Clarion off of Amazon. It already had bluetooth, it was about $350. Added a nav module and Sirius satellite radio, about $100 each, so $550. I went to Best Buy Geek Squad for the install, which is a lifetime warranty and can be serviced at any Best Buy. Now that was expensive, because they charge extra per module, so the install was $250. But with the GPS and sirius antennas, it wasn't simple, and they installed a bypass switch so I could watch DVDs without the e-brake on (nice to run music videos in the car, my friends love it).

So it was $800 by the time I got done. Not cheap, but I love the whole result. The only downside is that since it is aftermarket, the microphone for the bluetooth is in the front panel, which puts it down in the center stack - a terrible location. Its hard for people to hear me, fortunately I seldom have anything useful to say...
Ronbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:34 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
01, bad, cx501, ddx418, googlecom, head, headunit, install, kenwood, mic, mustang, screen, st, touch, unit