Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Need a little info on (touch screen) head units

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 02:15 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Souldriver
i heard some people say you do need it, and others say you dont. to tell you the truth i cant find what the pac really does.
Need. No. Want, should, yes.

It simplifies the install. Gives:
  1. VSS(Vehicle Speed Sensor) for GPS, so you can still get a decent guestimation of where you are when the GPS signal might crap out. And other unit speed display purposes.
  2. 5v remote turn ons for the factory amplifiers(faker 500/1000 systems), so you don't have to step it down yourself with a resistor or 5v regulator.
  3. E-brake sensor, saves you from running a line from the e-brake for this (assuming you weren't going to bypass it to start with).
  4. 12v delayed accessory line on from can-bus, as many later models don't have the actual 12v line run to the harness. The factory head-unit gets turned on by the can-bus signal instead.
  5. Reverse sensor, to switch to a reverse camera if hooked up without having to tap additional wiring.

Last edited by wayne613; 09-07-2011 at 02:18 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:23 AM
d.girardi
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
Wow so you have it in your car currently? How are you liking the touch screen? Is it at all plastic-y? Or feel like one of those cheap squishy screens with low touch sensitivity?

And thanks for the link man! I might just get it off there since it's free shipping too.
I like the touch screen alot. I wouldn't say its iphone quality, but its good. I don't have any troubles with it, and having physical buttons for your most used buttons is nice too.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:25 AM
d.girardi
2nd Gear Member

No edit button on phone. I really like vminnovations. I have only had to deal with their customer service once, and that was because they called me to let me know an amp I ordered was out of stock. they seem to have lower prices than crutchfield and sonicelectronix
Old 09-07-2011, 10:58 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

None of 'em that I know of use screens like the better androids and iPhones. All resistive touch-screens, not capacitive like the aforementioned. Expensive as hell for that size without a major level of mass production.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:25 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
I'm in Fort Wayne, but I go down to carmel for long weekends so whichever city has a better shop nearby will probably be where I go. And thanks for the offer but I think I'm just way too far from Evansville lol, but I still really appreciate the offer man thanks!

By the way, do you by any chance know of some good shops for the work near there? I would also be willing to drive down or up a little farther if necessary to get to said shops. Thanks again guys!
depends on what kind of work you need done. E'vill is 3 hrs from indy though, can't go any further south in indana then there...

We are the toe-fungus of the state.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Souldriver
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wayne613
Need. No. Want, should, yes.

It simplifies the install. Gives:
  1. VSS(Vehicle Speed Sensor) for GPS, so you can still get a decent guestimation of where you are when the GPS signal might crap out. And other unit speed display purposes.
  2. 5v remote turn ons for the factory amplifiers(faker 500/1000 systems), so you don't have to step it down yourself with a resistor or 5v regulator.
  3. E-brake sensor, saves you from running a line from the e-brake for this (assuming you weren't going to bypass it to start with).
  4. 12v delayed accessory line on from can-bus, as many later models don't have the actual 12v line run to the harness. The factory head-unit gets turned on by the can-bus signal instead.
  5. Reverse sensor, to switch to a reverse camera if hooked up without having to tap additional wiring.
ok i see now. the only one that applies to me is number 4. im guessing thats what keeps the radio on when you turn the car off and before you open the doors.

for another $70-$120 ill live without that one. but thank you for clarifying. that almost should be stickied.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:32 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Souldriver
im guessing thats what keeps the radio on when you turn the car off and before you open the doors.
Aye, but you likely already have it run to your radio harness, think this (can-bus activated with SJB 12v delayed accessory line not run to radio harness) didn't start until the 08's. So you didn't have a shaker system originally?

Last edited by wayne613; 09-07-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:30 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wayne613
Aye, but you likely already have it run to your radio harness, think this (can-bus activated with SJB 12v delayed accessory line not run to radio harness) didn't start until the 08's. So you didn't have a shaker system originally?
So are you saying the shut off radio thing when the door opens is only a feature on 08+ models? Because my car has it, I am just curious whether it will have that after I go aftermarket?

Also, I was hoping to get your input in this thread! Do you think going with a touch aftermarket is worth the trouble/cost? I'm not really an audiophile, but was looking to spruce the interior and people really vouch for this units reliability so I thought I'd take the leap- nothing wrong with my shaker though.

Do you have any recommendations for touch head units?
Old 09-07-2011, 09:33 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ttocs
depends on what kind of work you need done. E'vill is 3 hrs from indy though, can't go any further south in indana then there...

We are the toe-fungus of the state.
I just need the head unit installed, and I might get some infinity speakers or something for the door to go with that- not sure on the speakers yet though.

Basically just some simple audio stuff from a reputable shop so I can get a warranty (peace of mind). Thanks man, I appreciate the help!

Lol, if you're the toe fungus then I guess Ft. W is the dandruff on the hair? haha.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:35 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by d.girardi
I like the touch screen alot. I wouldn't say its iphone quality, but its good. I don't have any troubles with it, and having physical buttons for your most used buttons is nice too.
That is good, I was just worried about a low quality screen bothering me or something. Yeah I wanted to upgrade to the larger head unit but then I lose all buttons lol.

Quick Reply: Need a little info on (touch screen) head units