Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Need a little info on (touch screen) head units

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 09:13 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Souldriver
im getting that pioneer unit by the end of the month off of many recommendations. I would say go with that one. the only down side is if you use android stuff its not as compatible as apple, but they did say android soon i believe.
kenwood is good too but i dint like that unit when i played with it (ddx418) the screen felt mush and didnt look the best. and for me it wasnt too intuitive and the blue tooth mic got bad reviews. the screen also felt mushy. the dealer prefers kenwood b/c of a +3db bass slope but ehhh.

I also like stock looking radios and nothing too radical but he pioneer is within acceptable range.
Yeah that one and one of the kendwoods are still on my narrowing list. I might just go with the pioneer though since you sound like you've researched it pretty well. I think the bluetooth is a nice toy but its really just a bonus for me lol. I use blackberry (tour) so idk if my phone will even sync with that? (It has bluetooth)

And yeah I hate the aftermarket look so many head units have lately! I don't want a neon light show in my car but it seems like every non-touch head unit that I like features the rainbow for backlighting

Any idea what you might be charged for install? Are you getting it done at a specialty shop or by yourself?
Old 09-05-2011, 10:21 PM
Souldriver
1st Gear Member

i was going to do it myself but i figured let them do it. warranty on the unit and work. i can probably do it myself. i have the skills, but a half day ripping things apart compared to an hour of them doing it. to me thats worth it.
the place here is charging me for the headunit, wiring, and bracket. that is $475 since im buying from him inst all is included. some include install, other do not. he is a pioneer dealer but he doesnt carry them in store.
ive seen a mean number of $100 for install around here. I also live in NY and things seem to be a little more expensive here.
check the reviews for it on amazon and people usually say how well bluetooth works and then lists their phones. the EQ, bluetooth and creating a base for later sound upgrades (a proper sub, speakers, crossfilters) are the reason im upgrading.
i also dont like the lights show. ill probably put it to red and keep it. it will match my dsh and my map lights that i put red led bulbs in. i wish i had the time and patience to change all the LEDs in the car to red instead of green. i wonder why they couldnt of included those in the mycolor scheme.
also i can set the background picture WEEEEEE! (you can do it on the kenwood too but i heard its harder) if you can wait ill report back. I know other put them in older stangs but i havnt heard much about our year models.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:28 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Souldriver
i was going to do it myself but i figured let them do it. warranty on the unit and work. i can probably do it myself. i have the skills, but a half day ripping things apart compared to an hour of them doing it. to me thats worth it.
the place here is charging me for the headunit, wiring, and bracket. that is $475 since im buying from him inst all is included. some include install, other do not. he is a pioneer dealer but he doesnt carry them in store.
ive seen a mean number of $100 for install around here. I also live in NY and things seem to be a little more expensive here.
check the reviews for it on amazon and people usually say how well bluetooth works and then lists their phones. the EQ, bluetooth and creating a base for later sound upgrades (a proper sub, speakers, crossfilters) are the reason im upgrading.
i also dont like the lights show. ill probably put it to red and keep it. it will match my dsh and my map lights that i put red led bulbs in. i wish i had the time and patience to change all the LEDs in the car to red instead of green. i wonder why they couldnt of included those in the mycolor scheme.
also i can set the background picture WEEEEEE! (you can do it on the kenwood too but i heard its harder) if you can wait ill report back. I know other put them in older stangs but i havnt heard much about our year models.
100 sounds fair to me, maybe with all the harnessing and etc. 120ish is what I will be doing around here at most... One or two of the reviews said that paired a blackberry lol so I might just go to the store and ask them to figure it out for me before purchasing. I have my lights set to blue so that's pretty cool that you can change the back lighting (one more cool feature!)

If you could let me know whenever you finally get it installed or bought that would be great! I would love a mustang owners input instead of all these other internet reviews- Thanks man, I appreciate the help!
Old 09-05-2011, 10:35 PM
Souldriver
1st Gear Member

ps here are some pictures

the model above it: bigger screen but no BT intigrated, it needs a module.

not too bad
the model that the 3300 replaced.

now as stock looking but not bad either, i think that blue is from the card slot being open

and the background choice of some.

ill also report back if i can use the usb with my non ipod mp3 (cowon for the win with sound quality) and if the aux input in my console will still work.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:44 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

That actually looks pretty good for aftermarket, I like it! Don't know if I want to shell out for bigger screen and no BT though (I like having some buttons lol)... Might just stick with the 3300BT instead.

I totally forgot about the console aux... But if there's the aux on the unit itself I wouldn't really mind.

So the 3300BT is part of the newest model lineup right? Just making sure.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:28 AM
Souldriver
1st Gear Member

Yes. the 3200bt is the same except no dvd (or so they say) so make sure ypu get the 3300
Old 09-06-2011, 05:52 PM
d.girardi
2nd Gear Member

i might seem like im on pioneers ****, but that 3300 is awesome. ill post the link again, http://www.vminnovations.com/Product...VD-Player.html
as they have it cheaper and you get 5% off with the coupon code "FACEBOOK" the install is easy as cake, and with this http://www.ebay.com/itm/270751362702...#ht_1199wt_932 you dont have to do the whole handbrake lock deal, or passengers can watch while you drive on road trips and such. overall i rate it 10/10. i just got the dvd part hooked up and the screen is amazing.

Edit: bluetooth aint bad. i can be heard decently clear with windows half down at 50

Last edited by d.girardi; 09-06-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:33 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

what part of indiana are you in? I am in evansville and can either help or recomend a good local shop.

If you are interested in a good nav unit take a closer look at kenwood as they use garmin to do their stuff rather then in house and they are a little easier then the others to use.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:46 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by d.girardi
i might seem like im on pioneers ****, but that 3300 is awesome. ill post the link again, http://www.vminnovations.com/Product...VD-Player.html
as they have it cheaper and you get 5% off with the coupon code "FACEBOOK" the install is easy as cake, and with this http://www.ebay.com/itm/270751362702...#ht_1199wt_932 you dont have to do the whole handbrake lock deal, or passengers can watch while you drive on road trips and such. overall i rate it 10/10. i just got the dvd part hooked up and the screen is amazing.

Edit: bluetooth aint bad. i can be heard decently clear with windows half down at 50
Wow so you have it in your car currently? How are you liking the touch screen? Is it at all plastic-y? Or feel like one of those cheap squishy screens with low touch sensitivity?

And thanks for the link man! I might just get it off there since it's free shipping too.

Last edited by aaquib1992; 09-06-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:58 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ttocs
what part of indiana are you in? I am in evansville and can either help or recomend a good local shop.

If you are interested in a good nav unit take a closer look at kenwood as they use garmin to do their stuff rather then in house and they are a little easier then the others to use.
I'm in Fort Wayne, but I go down to carmel for long weekends so whichever city has a better shop nearby will probably be where I go. And thanks for the offer but I think I'm just way too far from Evansville lol, but I still really appreciate the offer man thanks!

By the way, do you by any chance know of some good shops for the work near there? I would also be willing to drive down or up a little farther if necessary to get to said shops. Thanks again guys!

Quick Reply: Need a little info on (touch screen) head units