Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Satellite Compatible Mach 460 and XM..Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 09:46 PM
Limited40th2004

Unhappy Satellite Compatible Mach 460 and XM..Please help!

Hi everyone, just took delivery of 2004 GT with the 40th anniversary package and the Satellite compatible Mach 460 system with the 6 disc changer. I am an XM Radio subscriber and I thought the the new XM Snap would work just fine with the system and I have a few issues.

1)I get satellite reception that is only clear when I unscrew the antenna on the fender. If I leave it on, I am getting background static I shouldn't get.

2) My system sounds great with radio and CD player, but when I use the XM unit the sound quality from the speakers is awful, and has no depth(flat). I have to set the system loud in order to hear anything at all. The signal is clear, but it sounds all wrong, almost like the old days when you would get the background noise while playing a cassette. This XM Snap system works great in my GF's 99 Nissan with BOSE, so I was expecting the same (if not better) quality.

3) My system has a SAT button..what can I do so I get clear crisp sound from this XM system? Do I have to add something like a module, get a different type of XM unit, or do I have to shell out $$$ for a dealer to help me get this straightened out?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can steer me in the right direction.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:57 PM
SUPRA88
1st Gear Member

Follow the antenna wire or the radio wire to the xm tuner, see if it is a factory unit or a terk tuner, the audiovox terk comes with a set of rca jacks that go bad, from the radio they both work with the SAT buttons and there is no way to tell wich one you have
you have to pull the radio out
good luck
Old 10-28-2011, 08:16 PM
Limited40th2004

The XM unit I have is not integrated at all...it plugs into the lighter.The antenna issue has mostly resolved itself since I moved it to the roof on the drivers side. I expected some sacrifice of sound quality. The car did not come with a satellite antenna either. The XM Snap unit is a new product designed to work with any radio.

What I am trying to find out is whether or not I can just receive the sound through the radio itself. When I press the SAT button on the head unit, I get a message that says "No SAT". Sorry if I was unclear, but it is a bit annoying when my Snap unit is on but I am picking up a random signal from somewhere else or just static. For example..while waiting in line at the tire shop this afternoon I was listening to an XM station while I waited, only to pick up someone else playing Jimmy Buffet's song "Why don't we get Drunk and Screw" I know it was someone else's CD player, because I heard the end of that song and the beginning of another before my XM station returned (I had never turned it off). My XM signal was strong. I apologize for being long winded, but there is no other way to explain it.
Thanks for the suggestion...and for reading here.

Chuck
Old 10-28-2011, 08:48 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

I was a bit hesitant to comment, as I know little of the previous gen stangs, but I think for some 03-04's they had a similar set-up as the S197's "shaker" systems satellite integration as an option. This is completely CAN-BUS. So if you do not have the OEM satellite module connected you're SOL.

If you use the satellite radio a lot I'd go for an aux-in hookup to directly feed the audio to the unit.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:32 AM
Limited40th2004

Originally Posted by wayne613
I was a bit hesitant to comment, as I know little of the previous gen stangs, but I think for some 03-04's they had a similar set-up as the S197's "shaker" systems satellite integration as an option. This is completely CAN-BUS. So if you do not have the OEM satellite module connected you're SOL.

If you use the satellite radio a lot I'd go for an aux-in hookup to directly feed the audio to the unit.

I do use it a lot, I have had it for the last 3 yrs. I suspected that an OEM module was my only option and I appreciate the info and the comparison to the new SHAKER unit. Guess I will have to bite the bullet for awhile until I can afford to have it installed by a pro. Thanks again.

Anyone else out there have a suggestion? I'm all ears.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:45 PM
SUPRA88
1st Gear Member

I understand now you have a portable xm tuner and the static or noise problem is because you are using the fm trasmiter to listen to it,
you need a auxiliary audio input interface made for the ford mustang radio, there are a few of this for radios with aux button cd button and the satellite button
since that is what you have look for the FRD03-AUX/S
http://www.oemautosound.com/pc-211-8...at-button.aspx

this interface will let you use the factory satellite port of the radio to input audio from your satellite radio or any other device
Old 11-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Limited40th2004

Smile Thank you!

Originally Posted by SUPRA88
I understand now you have a portable xm tuner and the static or noise problem is because you are using the fm trasmiter to listen to it,
you need a auxiliary audio input interface made for the ford mustang radio, there are a few of this for radios with aux button cd button and the satellite button
since that is what you have look for the FRD03-AUX/S
http://www.oemautosound.com/pc-211-8...at-button.aspx

this interface will let you use the factory satellite port of the radio to input audio from your satellite radio or any other device

Thank you very much, this looks like an inexpensive and pretty standard DIY project. I appreciate the tip. I am guessing you have to fins a mounting point for the aux transmitter somewhere behind the radio?
Old 11-07-2011, 01:49 PM
SUPRA88
1st Gear Member

Yes that is correct, the installation is very simple, the aux audio interface plugs into the back side of the radio and it is small like a cigarette pack there is space on the right side of the radio or under the radio you can install rca jacks to 3.5 headphone jack and run this cable to your portable satellite radio