Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Comparing some head units...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 04:17 PM
EthanP71

Default Comparing some head units...

Hey guys, I'm comparing some head units and I really need some input on my choices. Right now I have the Shaker 500 with no way to connect an iPod. The main thing for me is that for whichever head unit I get, I want either Aux, USB or iPod cable wired from the back of the unit into the center console, so I can keep my iPod/iPhone in the console or have it rest in the cupholder. Would this be possible? If so, about how much would it cost to have someone install that?

Anyways, onto the 2 head units I'm really considering right now.

Choice #1- Pioneer AppRadio

Pros:

-Sleek touch screen look
-Lots of cool stuff/apps that you can see right on your dash

Cons:

-Not a fan of touch screens when they are all grimey and washed out in high light
-No volume ****
-Higher (for me) price

Would the iPhone cable it comes with be able to be wired into the center console?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130APPR...rand%7cKenwood

Choice #2- Kenwood DPX308U

Pros:

-No touch screen. Everything's at your fingertips with buttons
-Lighting can be matched to oem Ford green so it looks relatively stock (as far as aftermarket head units go)
-Lower Price

Cons:

-Not sure if Kenwood stuff is good quality (I've had a couple Pioneer head unit before and they were great)
-Would I be able to wire Aux, USB, or iPod into the center console? I know its got Aux and USB on the front but I don't want wires going all over the interior of the car.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DPX3...rand%7cKenwood

So does anyone have either of these? Could you give me any insight or pics if you do?

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate any advice!
Old 01-06-2012, 04:25 PM
EthanP71

Hmm ok, how about this. Anyone have any other suggestions for a sleek looking double DIN radio or a touch screen radio with a ****? Something good quality and around $300-400.

Right now I'm kind of leaning toward the Kenwood with an iPod cable running to the center console. Any idea of how much that would cost to get installed? Is this the type of thing I should just ask Best Buy about? lol
Old 01-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

I bought the pioneer 4300 and all the stuff to install myself 80 bucks for the replacement harness(needed) and like 10 for a mounting bracket. Bought the soldering gun to attach everything together.
Was a easy install and plenty of how to's to dissasemble the dash.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:34 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by EthanP71
Right now I'm kind of leaning toward the Kenwood with an iPod cable running to the center console. Any idea of how much that would cost to get installed? Is this the type of thing I should just ask Best Buy about? lol
NO rear USB/Ipod hookups on that one. It would have to be run from the front face.
Usually about $80-$100 for a simple job like this.
And no, you'd usually be better off talking to your dog about it in all but the minority of cases.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:42 PM
EthanP71

Haha I guess I forgot how dumb Best Buy employees are in the years that I haven't shopped there. Could you run an RCA to iPod converter from the RCA inputs on the back of the radio?
Old 01-08-2012, 02:02 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by EthanP71
Could you run an RCA to iPod converter from the RCA inputs on the back of the radio?
Nope. The rear only has outputs(page 11).
Old 01-08-2012, 04:21 PM
EthanP71

Alright well thanks. I guess the search continues.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:00 PM
red96v6
2nd Gear Member

Pioneer Avic-x930bt... Bit more expensive but I got mine for a steal, you just have to look around. Can connect to Iphone with a cord to watch videos, netflix, apps, and everything else. But I just connect to my phone with bluetooth and use Pandora or listen to music without wires.

Forgot to say it has a volume ****, and aux wires long enough to put your Idevice wherever you want
Old 01-08-2012, 07:23 PM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

On amazon the pioneer 4300 is about $400. depending on the day/sellers
Has pandora integration, ipod, etc etc.
goodluck finding one you like
Old 01-08-2012, 07:28 PM
EthanP71

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Red, the Avic-x930bt looks great and is pretty much just what I'm looking for. It's a shame that it's a bit more expensive. I'll keep my eyes open for deals though.

Lem, the 4300 looks nice too and fits into my price range.

Do you guys have any pics of these in your cars?

By the way, I've ruled out the AppRadio too after reading some reviews where it says that if you reply to a text on your phone while its playing, the music stops. That's a pretty large negative for me, so both of my original considerations are out of the running now.

Last edited by EthanP71; 01-08-2012 at 07:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Comparing some head units...