Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

sound ideas.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 09:48 AM
phoenixfriend84
1st Gear Member

Default sound ideas.

Still kinda new here but I thought I might throw out some ideas for sound deadener. I was looming at places road noise can come from and some easy solutions. I thought some spray foam insulation on the fender slash guards would be a good idea, but wondered how it would hold up under the conditions. Alison for other areas that are not so easy to get asphalt sound insulation like dynamat and fatmat can't get to. While I do enjoy hearing my exhuast note I could do with a quieter ride. Let me know what you guys think. Throw in other ideas as well.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:22 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

One possible problem, spray foam can trap moisture which will cause a panel to rust. I'd be really careful about spaying anything outside the car.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:52 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by phoenixfriend84
Still kinda new here but I thought I might throw out some ideas for sound deadener. I was looming at places road noise can come from and some easy solutions. I thought some spray foam insulation on the fender slash guards would be a good idea, but wondered how it would hold up under the conditions. Alison for other areas that are not so easy to get asphalt sound insulation like dynamat and fatmat can't get to. While I do enjoy hearing my exhuast note I could do with a quieter ride. Let me know what you guys think. Throw in other ideas as well.
Please be aware that the brands mentioned are not asphalt based but butyl based. The asphalt based types are ONLY recomended for outdoor use as they leach off carcinogenic gasses.

As for spray foam after 15 yrs of installing, never used it.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:03 PM
phoenixfriend84
1st Gear Member

I did some research and found that out about the mat type sound/ vibration dampeners. When talking about the spray foam I meant on the plastic inner fender splash guard. I've notice that a lot of newer vehicles use carpet on there. Just can see myself buying carpeting to put in the fender well. While thinking about the spray foam for the fender I was thinking it might be a place for moisture to sit but also that a good coat of paint could seal it and prevent it sucking up moisture. Though it being on the I side of that panel not on the tire side nit that much water should be in there anyway. Just thinking about things to help thee whose wive wont pet them spend hundreds onsound deadening their cars. I was lucky mine let me buy a mustang at all.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:43 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

my bitch doesn't tell me what to do, but she is quit literally a bitch(four legs and a tail)

One other difference is that she is ALWAYS happy to see me. Always....

Are you getting some noise from that location that you are trying to get rid of? Really not sure what you are wanting to do with the fenders, matt works there as well.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:01 AM
phoenixfriend84
1st Gear Member

Just trying quiet down the ride. I tend to hear quite a bit of road noise. I did find some mat the looked promising. On the cheap. B quiet sells a 50 sq ft roll for around $70. When I ride I want to hear my music and the exhuast. Not every piece of dirt and people's my tires kick into the fenders. Plus a better insulated cabins means less having to run the heat and the a/c.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:10 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

ok that makes sence now. I have never had the need for foam in the fender but I guess you can always take it out if it isn't working. I have already done extensive damping in my car with both dynamat and second skin(my fav). So far the doors are covered both on the inside skin as well as with a complete layer across the door. If you have been doing reading on the subj you have probably come across the debate of how much to apply as some places only recoment covering 25% of the panel you want to help. That is fine when just trying to reduce vibrations but if you are wanting to keep more of the road/exhaust noise then more is better. I have also done a layer on the floor from front to the trunk, now I am getting ready to do the sides and also add some closed cell foam/vinyl as I have a side exhaust system I would like to cut down on a bit as well. After this round I am done as there really isn't anything left to cover.

As for keeping the interior insulated better to reduce ac/heat needs well that is new to me. Sure, I guess.....

Also one other little technical hair to split, reducing noise/vibrations is refered to as damping, not dampENing which would require the use of your hose. I am not trying to be that dude that corrects your grammer to feel superior, just trying to inform you.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:27 PM
phoenixfriend84
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the English lesson. While Georgia isnt the hottest or coldest place on the u.s. it does getbvery hot in the summer to those who haven't been to the desert and cold to those who don't see snow very often. So along with insulating the car for sound/ vibration and temperature ill also be using ceramic tint on all windows including a very light shade on the windshield.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:16 PM
DPHC13
1st Gear Member

I wouldn't use a spray foam in the panels just incase you ever want to get a dent out. Closed-cell foam like "Arma-flex" is good. I did my rear quarter panels with a dyna matt type stuff and filled the void with Arma-flex. I'm a pipe insulator by trade so I get the stuff for free. But I would think any kind of material that fills the void and that can be removed if needed would be good. As for wheel wells I used some rubberized spray under coating I got at Napa and it works good. Just make sure you don't get the cheap stuff (it's useless). The stuff I got is almost like Rhino Liner. Something that gives a little when rocks hit it.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:20 PM
phoenixfriend84
1st Gear Member

I got my inner fender splash gaurds Thursday. Bought em from autogeek. Com. They seem more rubbery than plastic. They should have plenty of give on em. For $12 each I couldn't pass em up considering Ford wanted $90 each. Its those I was planning on spraying with something to deaden sound. I was on a ranger forum last year and say something on there about some kind of insulation that a guy used in his car that's very similar to dynamat. He did the entire I.side of a super cab range for about $60. Gonna look there. I also figure they have to have some kind of carpet insulation that also provides for noise reduction for multi floor houses and apartments. Google I guess would tell me. My wife keeps me on a very tight budget so if I can find something that will work at the local hardware store for cheaper, then I have to go that route. Wife, 4 kids, mortgage, and extra activities for the boys 7 and 9 to keep em busy young and keep em out of trouble doesn't leave me the largest budget for the mustang. My wife wants me to be able to retire by 50 with no financial worries. Any helpful ideas would be great. She doesn't give me a load of money to play with but time I do get to work on it. So I do whenever I can. Getting ready to trade to two rear factory tweeters fir a new head unit. With the Jensen in now it sounds flat. It was a flea market pickup and the select button for bass and treble fade and balance doesn't work. I don't like that much high in my system anyway.

Quick Reply: sound ideas.