Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Audio newbie

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 02:34 PM
jrp1588
2nd Gear Member

Default Audio newbie

I tried googling and searching, but couldn't quite find what I'm after.

The Mach 460 on my 2003 GT is shot, I've tried replacing the amps to no avail. It just won't produce sound anymore.

Rather than messing with the stock system more, I figure it's time to get my feet wet in the audio world and install an aftermarket system. I'm not looking for a system that'll rattle the doors off, and I'm no audiophile, basically I'd just like something that has good sound for the value.

I believe I'd need a new head unit, amps, speakers, and wiring. I don't want to have to mess with subs, so I'll just be replacing with stock size speakers. Could anyone suggest some components that would work well together?

Also, if anyone could point me to some helpful articles on installing an aftermarket system on a new edge that would be helpful.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Thundersteel
2nd Gear Member

Have you tried Crutchfield? They seem to be helpful, and they have some good articles on their website.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:07 PM
jrp1588
2nd Gear Member

Was actually just looking at their website, I'm just a little overwhelmed. I don't know what works with what.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:53 PM
jrp1588
2nd Gear Member

Well here's what my research has gotten me so far.

JVC KW-R500 headunit
4 Pioneer TS-A6874R 3 way speakers for the doors and rear deck

I'm a bit confused about amps. Some reading I did on crutchfield suggested I may not need amps and the new headunit may be able to handle the speakers power demands. The RMS power of the headunit is 20watt and the speakers are 40watt. I assume the 20watt is per channel?

That seems like a far cry from the 460 watts of the stock system though. Seems like I'd have to spend a lot of money to get up that high. Or is that peak and not RMS?
Old 03-22-2012, 03:54 PM
Thundersteel
2nd Gear Member

I'm just a little overwhelmed. I don't know what works with what.
Just give them a call. I'm sure they'll be able to answer your questions.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:54 PM
DirtFarmer

The head unit will run most speakers that are in your price range. When you amplifiy the same speakers they offer soo much more. So it's all about budget and what you want/need.

You can install the factory size aftermarket speakers fairly eaisly and have the head unit run the speakers well.

I'd reccomend a simple 4 channel amp or even 5 channel amp. You can run one wiring kit to the amp and get decent preformance out of your aftermarket speakers. Plus if you get the 5 channel you can add a sub later if you feel like your system is lacking. Adding an amp will greatly increase your speakers preformance.

I installed 6.5" componets in my front door. its really easy to install the tweeters and you can get an adapter that allows the 6.5" speakers to fit in the 6x8 slots. IMO componets are far better than co-axel speakers and you can find decent componts for fairly cheap.

These will rock with low wattage
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...TR650-CSi.html

Plus you could find cheaper.

For an amp somthing like this will suffice.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...AC-7005PS.html

Keep in mind low end stereo equipment is pretty similar across the board. I would go with a company you have used in the past and like. I prefer Kenwood and Alpine for headunits and alpine componets with JL Audio subs.

Good luck!
Old 03-22-2012, 05:40 PM
jrp1588
2nd Gear Member

What would you recommend for a headunit?

Looking at the component system you recommended, that's 2 6.5" speakers and 2 tweeters? Does the tweeter go in the stock tweeter location on the door? What would I do about the rear speakers? Get another of those kits I suppose?

Now here's the question that is really getting to me. How does one go about wiring all this together?
Old 03-23-2012, 08:49 AM
DirtFarmer

Wiring is fairly simple. There are tons of sites that offer guides and youtube has many videos. Search "How to wire car audio". read thru it and if you have questions let me know. just remember to disconnect your battery whenever you work on your cars audio system. Also, look for videos/info based on your specific car, you'll find good info about where to route the wiring thru your firewall and stuff like that.

Im not sure what the tweeters you currently have are so I can't say they'll drop right in. But yes, you could use the hole for the new tweeter. You might want to verify the size of the tweeter first so that the componet set you order will work. You dont want to buy a 1" tweeter if you have a 2" hole. You want it to be the same size or slightly larger so you can make sure you fill the entire hole.

For Head Units Kenwood is really good for a few reasons. Mainyl price range for what you get. For example, I have the Kenwood KDC-x696. It comes with three sets of preouts including the sub out. All 4volt. Plus it has intergrated bluetooth so I can talk on my iphone thru the stereo. it isn't perfect but its better than getting a ticket. The stereo has a lot to offer for under 200$. You can find it at Crutchfield. Anything similar will work fine for you. It has all the stuff most people need in a car stereo including Ipod inteagration.

If your adding amps you want 4 volt pre outs. Most inexspensive radios have 2 volt or less. SO keep an eye out for that. Most amps want higher voltage inputs.

For the rear speakers I would just get a co-axel for the rears. Keep it simple, its mostly filler anyways. Your componets will give you most of your sound. Check out Caraudio.com for some pretty good advice.

I went with Alpine Type-r for my set up. They came with adapters to fit the 6.5" in the 6x8 slots so all i had to do was find a good spot for my tweeters and drill a hole. Easy as pie.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:07 PM
jrp1588
2nd Gear Member

Would it be possible to use the stock wiring on the car? I imagine otherwise I'm going to have to tear out basically the whole interior to rout wires around. I know I've read people with the mach 460 will install an aftermarket headunit and speakers, and then bypass the stock amps and run the speakers off the headunit.

Is there a way to make this work with an aftermarket amp, or should I just suck it up and do my own wiring? haha
Old 03-23-2012, 03:24 PM
DirtFarmer

Be brave!!! I wired my system, all of it. The only wires I used that were factory were the wires for the head unit. Get a wiring harness and install the head unit with the factory harness. But then run power and speaker wires.

Its time consuming, so if you dont want spend all day doing something like this then get some quotes from local shops. See if its in your price range. I think for the most part its about an hours labor for each item, roughly 60-100$ per hour depending on area/shop.

Quick Reply: Audio newbie