Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Scosche DD Kit & Wiring Kit Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 12:37 AM
Maverick302
1st Gear Member

Default Scosche DD Kit & Wiring Kit Questions

Hi All,

Surfing on ebay, I found a Scosche kit available that I was able to bid and win on.

Weird how Scosche's website still lists them as being unavailable/out of stock but there are kits floating around online. I guess they're still fixing the bugs.

Anywho... My car is a 2011 GT/CS w/ the Shaker 500 audio package.

I have a Kenwood DNX7140 from my old car that has been sitting in a box since I got the Stang. I'm looking to install the Kenwood and utilize the OEM speakers/Shaker 500 (for now... Until I can figure out what I want to piece together.) However, I also want to retain Sync functionality as well as the steering wheel controls. I've read up on other folks builds but am a little confused as to what I need specifically to accomplish the above.

From what I read I would need:

- Scosche FDSR - 2005 - Up Select Ford CAN Bus Interface
or
- PAC MS-FDR1

- PAC SWI Jack (Kenwood Adapter)

- Scosche CRAB Attenna adapter (?)

Based on the wording of the Scosche description it does not come with the module needed for stereo controls on the steering wheel.

Looking to get feedback from the community on experiences between the FDSR vs MS-FDR1, as well as ensure I've got the right parts list to get my Kenwood setup.

Any feedback/comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Old 03-24-2012, 01:36 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

I have not taken one apart yet but I thought the sync stuff was built into the radio so retianing it while installing a kenwood w would be hard.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:39 AM
mondo73
2nd Gear Member

I would go with the PAC MS-FDR1 for the sync. But if you have a good headunit with Nav/Bluetooth, I wouldn't worry about sync. Also replace the 4 6x8 speakers. You will love the sound.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:40 AM
mondo73
2nd Gear Member

I would also get the firmware update before i would start the install. Alot of people have had issues with the unit draining the battery.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:29 AM
Maverick302
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ttocs
I have not taken one apart yet but I thought the sync stuff was built into the radio so retianing it while installing a kenwood w would be hard.
I initially thought that too, but appears to reside somewhere in the car. Curious though, where the actual brains reside...

Originally Posted by mondo73
I would go with the PAC MS-FDR1 for the sync. But if you have a good headunit with Nav/Bluetooth, I wouldn't worry about sync. Also replace the 4 6x8 speakers. You will love the sound.

I would also get the firmware update before i would start the install. Alot of people have had issues with the unit draining the battery.
Thanks for the recommendations Mondo. I've gained a lot of knowledge reading a lot of your related posts. I've also read about other folks with the Scosche kit installed having the power draining problem, thank you for the reminder.

I've got a sort of old Kenwood that featured the Garmin Navigation integration initially. It's the DNX7140 unit. While sync has several faults, I do like the microphone setup for hands free much better than the way the Kenwood handled it. And admittedly I do like some of the services that are available.

I have bits and pieces of audio equipment from my old car that I'll end up reusing, but still deciding on what to select for speakers and what not. I'm also doing some interior updates/refreshes and want to try to avoid having to pull panels off several times.

A hint of what I'm working on...

I'm kind of surprised there aren't any documented scosche installs on our board already.

Last edited by Maverick302; 03-24-2012 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Typos and punctutation errors.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:24 PM
mondo73
2nd Gear Member

That carbon fiber panel looks nice. I would like to do the same thing, but with wood grain like the older mustangs.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:26 PM
Maverick302
1st Gear Member

That carbon fiber panel looks nice. I would like to do the same thing, but with wood grain like the older mustangs.
Thanks Mondo, a wood grain version would totally be cool.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Maverick302
1st Gear Member

Hey Mondo,

What antenna adapter did you use for your HU? I'm getting ready to place an order for the PAC stuff from Crutchfield, and figured I'd buy everything from one place. They have two antenna adapters listed that would work, one with the motorola male end and another with the female end. I'm assuming I need the male end.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_12040CR...a-Adapter.html

Regards,
Old 03-25-2012, 08:43 PM
mondo73
2nd Gear Member

You need the male end. Where did you get the film to cover your Scosche Trim Panel?
Old 03-25-2012, 09:50 PM
Maverick302
1st Gear Member

You need the male end. Where did you get the film to cover your Scosche Trim Panel?
Thanks Mondo, just placed the order.

The trim is called "Di Noc" made by 3M, and bought it from http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com. Application seems daunting, but it's not as bad as it seems. A quick search on Youtube, and you can see how easy it is to work with. I'm planning on starting another thread when I get all the pieces completed.

Regards,

Quick Reply: Scosche DD Kit & Wiring Kit Questions