Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2010-2012 Camera Spoiler install

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 04:32 PM
J0d_L@n

Default 2010-2012 Camera Spoiler install

I haven't seen any good information about this yet, so hopefully someone has some good information to share. I am considering adding a rear view camera to my Mustang. I would like to source the spoiler that has the backup camera installed already. I guess it comes primed for paint, but I'm not sure it uses the same holes my current spoiler does. Also, are there any existing wires I can use for the signal? I would assume I can get a compatible Gentex mirror from eBay or where ever.

Has anyone done this or know the specifics on what it takes to add this? I'm surprised I couldn't find more information on this for 2010-2012 models. I've searched several other Mustang forums and didn't come up with much there either.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:08 AM
superdutyfan
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by J0d_L@n
I haven't seen any good information about this yet, so hopefully someone has some good information to share. I am considering adding a rear view camera to my Mustang. I would like to source the spoiler that has the backup camera installed already. I guess it comes primed for paint, but I'm not sure it uses the same holes my current spoiler does. Also, are there any existing wires I can use for the signal? I would assume I can get a compatible Gentex mirror from eBay or where ever.

Has anyone done this or know the specifics on what it takes to add this? I'm surprised I couldn't find more information on this for 2010-2012 models. I've searched several other Mustang forums and didn't come up with much there either.
I have a 2011 GT 5.0 L that has the nav/dvd system with out the backup camera, I purchased the factory spoiler from the dealer that has the camera and they had it painted and installed there is a plug in the lid of the trunk under the liner that the camera plugs into but the camera still would not work. I ordered the Ford Lockpick from Coastal but have been working out of town so I have been unable to install it yet. If you don't have the nav/dvd player I don't know if that plug for the camera will be there. If you don't have the nav/dvd screen check out ford truck entusists forum search there i read on it that guys are putting factory camera that is in the ford logo on the f series trucks and hocking up to a mirror display when they do not have the nav/dvd screen but it seems to be a lttle bit of work to do it.

Last edited by superdutyfan; 04-14-2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:20 AM
J0d_L@n

Originally Posted by superdutyfan
...there is a plug in the lid of the trunk under the liner that the camera plugs into....
Any chance you have a pic of what the connector looks like and its location? I, like you, doubt it will be there since I don't have the NAV, but you never know with these things. Sometimes it's cheaper for the manufacturer to put the cable in all the cars, rather than picking and choosing which models they go in.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:46 AM
superdutyfan
1st Gear Member

Sorry no picture I am away at work and wont be home until end of April. but the clips are not hard to take out that hold the liner on. If there is a plug there and nothing plugged into it that would be it.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:00 PM
superdutyfan
1st Gear Member

So I have finally installed the Ford Lock pick in our 2011 Mustang 5.0L 6 spd with Nav/DVD player. it went quite quick 1.50 hrs tools needed is
flat screw driver to pry consol and stereo/hearter bezzel and
7 mm nut driver or ratchet
black tape
velcro and the
New Sync Lockpick plus
the synccam 12.
the lock pick and synccam12 are 239+39=278 plus tax and shipping.
I ran the lock pick controller into the glove box and velcored it to thinside if the glovebox incase an update is requireded easy to get to there.
I also bought a rear factory spolier with the camera in it form ford for 400 bucks had it painted 100 bucks. The plug in is in the trunk lid easy to find plugs right in.
After the monitor is removed the stereo can be pulled forward but not much room I was able to put my hand in behind the stereo unit and un plug the plugs from behind the stereo unit only two are required to be unplugged. pluged in the lock pick wire harness very easy they can only fit in the proper spots and plugged the synccam 12 harness into the back of the monitor (If using the factory cam like I did make sure you wrap black tape around the yellow rca plug so it does not touch any metal or the screen will get interferance). run the lockpick hanes to the glovebox and hook it up to the lock pick controller. make sure the wires are not going to be pinched anywhere behind the stereo etc. once put back together turn on the car 10 seconds lockpick turns on must wait about a minute and follw on screen prompts. If you are installing the factory cam like i did and it asks if you have a factory camera respond NO.
sorry if i am all over the place first time i have written a how to post
But if I can do it anyoine can I am not very mechanically inclined.

Thanks SDF
Old 05-10-2012, 12:31 AM
ihavefat
1st Gear Member

pics please!
Old 05-10-2012, 08:51 AM
superdutyfan
1st Gear Member

pics of what ?