Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Sync Applink issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 09:22 PM
J0d_L@n

Default Sync Applink issues

I was playing around with my Sync and my Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket and I was reading up on the Applink function on the radio. Basically I say "Mobile Apps" and I should be able to start Pandora from my phone. But the problem is the system keeps telling me there are no mobile apps found. I know it should work, because I am able to start Pandora from my phone then say "blue tooth audio" to the system and I can then hear Pandora through the speakers.

Has anyone been able to get any Applink apps to work with Sync using an Android phone?
Old 04-14-2012, 09:15 AM
J0d_L@n

*UPDATE*

I gave up trying to get it to work and headed out for the night. I tried it one more time with my girl in the car while we were driving and sure enough it started working on its own. She must be my good luck charm. The commands started working and I was able to fire up Pandora over the bluetooth connection totally hands free. That along with the iPod connected in the center console and Sirius I now have more music choices than you can shake a stick at!
Old 04-14-2012, 11:28 AM
J0d_L@n

*UPDATE 2*

Well back to square one. I got in the car this morning to run an errand and it's back to "No Mobile Apps Found" again. I guess it's just sketchy. Ugh.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:27 PM
Dave Boll

Things to consider about how AppLink works when trying to get AppLink-enabled apps to work with SYNC:

- For Pandora's app, specifically, in the settings, there is a setting to turn "Bluetooth for Automotive" on or off (other AppLink-enabled apps do not necessarily have a setting like this). If this setting is "off" then AppLink will not (or probably will not) work.

- Most, but not necessarily all, AppLink-enabled applications are designed to start themselves when the mobile phone establishes a bluetooth connection to SYNC.

- In SYNC, when you choose "Find Mobile Applications" from the menu, it will at that moment go out to the currently connected phone and discover any AppLink-enabled apps. Those that it discovers will show up on the menu. If an AppLink-enabled app is not running (or not ready to be discovered) at the moment that SYNC looks for AppLink-enabled apps on your phone, that app will not show up in the menu as an available app. If that happens, and you're sure the AppLink-enabled app is running and ready to be discovered by SYNC, then select the "Find Mobile Applications" option from the menu again.

This process actually applies for any phone that is bluetooth-connected to SYNC (which means it has already been bluetooth-paired to SYNC), whether Android or Blackberry. And, in fact, this procedure also applies to an iPhone that is USB-connected (i.e. the strategy for discovering AppLink-enabled apps).

Hope that helps.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:25 PM
J0d_L@n

If an AppLink-enabled app is not running (or not ready to be discovered) at the moment that SYNC looks for AppLink-enabled apps on your phone, that app will not show up in the menu as an available app.
Other than enabling "Bluetooth for Automotive" within the Pandora app is there any other thing I need to do in order for Pandora to be ready to be discovered by Sync? I'm under the impression that once my Bluetooth connection is established, it should be as simple as me requesting for mobile apps and then requesting Pandora. I should not have to fire up Pandora on the phone prior to anything. The Bluetooth connection itself has been very reliable. I can't recall where the Bluetooth hasn't worked well. If could get this Pandora thing figured out life would be grand.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:46 PM
djoneill
1st Gear Member

It only works for me if Pandora is already up and running when I say "mobile apps." Then it's just "mobile apps" and "pandora." Oh, and I might have had to update my Pandora app by uninstalling it way back when.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:55 PM
J0d_L@n

Originally Posted by djoneill
It only works for me if Pandora is already up and running when I say "mobile apps." Then it's just "mobile apps" and "pandora." Oh, and I might have had to update my Pandora app by uninstalling it way back when.
I would have thought that the whole point of appsync was so that I wouldn't have to touch my phone to get the app I want up and running, but I guess not. I tried starting Pandora manually anyways, then trying appsync, but still a no go. I'll try Slacker Radio next, see if I get the same results.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:08 AM
djoneill
1st Gear Member

Default You might have to update Pandora...

When I checked the latest version of Pandora, I discovered it was newer than my installed version. I had to uninstall Pandora and re-install from the Google market.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:14 AM
J0d_L@n

*UPDATE 3*

I decided to factory reset my phone. I download too many apps and have too much junk on there, so I tend to do a full factory reset about once a year to start fresh, promising myself that I won't go crazy with apps I don't need or use (yeah right). Anywho I have a clean slate to work with and now applink is working great with my Pandora app. It hasn't failed once to find mobile apps in the last 2 days I've used it. I do not need to start Pandora on the phone, appsync starts Pandora on its own and starts playing the last station I listened to. If things change I'll report here, but so far so good after my reload.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:01 PM
ilmor
3rd Gear Member

I can get Sync AppLink to recognize only one app at a time. In other word, if I run pandora, stitcher and NPR on my iPhone, and say "mobile apps", it will find only one of them. Shouldn't it find all three so I can make a choice?

Quick Reply: Sync Applink issues