Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

1st post

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 11:31 AM
maho

Default 1st post

Hey guys, my name is Mike. I'm a newbie on here. I'm rocking an 02 GT and am pretty happy with it.

I do have one question and I was trying to pm jthorn9 but, I'm new and don't have the privileges yet

Anyway, I was attempting to install the mach 1000 in my GT over the 460 and all went well until I got to the amp turn on switch. It is supposed to be a green wire in a harness behind the hood latch. I found 3 wires in that harness and I was curious as to which one it may be specifically. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:21 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

a volt-meter or test light would allow you to confirm which is what. The stock remote turn on uses a 6v turn on rather then the standard 12v so with the deck on the wire should show 6v, or light the test light dimmer then usual.

The remote wire is up by the hood latch?
Old 06-10-2012, 02:52 AM
maho

Originally Posted by ttocs
The remote wire is up by the hood latch?
The hood lever inside the car. It's hidden behind the driver side kick panel...

I just have one question. How do I test the wire? Would I just strip a portion of the wire off and then test the voltage? It's not an easy area. My idea was to take a tap on splice and just clip it onto the wire. Which would not be very difficult to do in the given space.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:59 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

the mach hrns goes down the drivers side frame rail back to the trunk going in on top of the drivers wheel well to the amps in the back. You should be able to find the wire anywhere in that hrns from front to back.

To test the wire you will need to be able to see bare copper. Some testers have a probe that will stab the wire through the insulation and make contact otherwise you you will need to strip the insulation back a bit to test it. With a volt-meter(Set to DC-voltage(not ac)) you can take either the black or the red lead of the meter and ground it by finding some bare, unpainted metal somewhere near by. Then simply take the other lead and touch the copper on the wire. It should show 0v with the key/radio off and 6v with the key/radio on.

A test light is the same operation but rather then give you a voltage reading it just has a light that lights up to tell you that there is power there. You can get either a meter or a light at autozone for $10 I think they are cheap now.