Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Shaker 500 CD error (Update, also posted in MCA)

Old 06-19-2012, 08:12 PM
Twstones
2nd Gear Member

Smile Shaker 500 CD error (Update, also posted in MCA)

Talked with 2 reps from Ford Service, concerning Shaker 500 CD problems. Explained how I had to disconnect the battery to keep the CD player from running it down, or worse, causing a car fire. They were very sympathetic, and I'm sure, could "feel my pain". Whereas I'm 2 months out of warranty, the problem is mine. Unless they have a recall for the problem, nothing can be done. They'll keep my problem on file.
So I took the radio out to see what I could find. Not really too hard to do. Take your time with the connectors, they all have a latch. Once you figure them out, they disconnect pretty easy. The CD part of the HU is connected to the radio section with a ribbon connector between the CD and radio circuit boards. I just unplugged the ribbon from both boards. I disassembled the CD section to get my CD's out, then junked it. Put the HU back in "Sally" and bingo, everything works fine. Bad News: I don't have a CD play which I rarely ever used. Good News: AM/FM/Sat/Aux all work fine, and I didn't have to spend 4-500 dollars on a replacement HU. Life Is Good!!
Old 06-23-2012, 06:10 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

fords cd players have been the weak point in the audio-chain for years. They have never made/used a reliable cd player from the start. The old mach-tape decks from 94 will last 10x longer then their modern cd players. The transport mech is normally the first to go once it seems to know it has your 6 most fav discs that it knows you will replace. I am fairly sure its a conspiracy between the music recording artists and ford/jbl but I just can't prove it....

If you want a reliable cd player in your car, go out to your local store and buy one.... Removing the cd mech is the next best thing but don't be suprised when what you have goes bad too. In the grand scheme of things I would like them to pay more attention to the brakes/motor important parts but in a perfect world I would want everything to work perfectly for ever ohh and be completely free too, not polute the environment and who doesn't like road head too!!! We do not live in a perfect world(at least I don't).
Old 08-13-2012, 04:21 PM
coco-coco

Default Further assistance w/ your directions

Hi Twstones ...

This is my first time on this forum, or any car forum.

I read your "fix" on the Shaker 500 CD problem and I think it might work for me because I'm having the same issue with my 2008 Ford Mustang GT (37,000 miles). My car has been running beautifully since the day I pulled it off the lot, but then yesterday I tried to start it and it wouldn't start. The automatic door locks didn't work, the CD player was making a horrible whirling sound, and the lights on my dash lit up (specifically one that had a little car and a lock over it). My husband tried the jumper cables but even after 20 mins of charging it still wouldn't start. That CD player kept right on making the weird sounds, though, and that's when I jumped online to do some searching and found so many others have struggled with this.

Like you, I don't use the CD player. I'm ready to go out and buy a new battery, but if I do that I wonder if the CD player is just going to wear down that new battery too? (Probably). So, I guess I need to remove the CD player. I read through your instructions and ... I'm nervous to do that! Or, rather, have my husband do that. Do you think you could send me more specific directions (step by step) on how to do it?

Thank you!
Nicole

<<Talked with 2 reps from Ford Service, concerning Shaker 500 CD problems. Explained how I had to disconnect the battery to keep the CD player from running it down, or worse, causing a car fire. They were very sympathetic, and I'm sure, could "feel my pain". Whereas I'm 2 months out of warranty, the problem is mine. Unless they have a recall for the problem, nothing can be done. They'll keep my problem on file.
So I took the radio out to see what I could find. Not really too hard to do. Take your time with the connectors, they all have a latch. Once you figure them out, they disconnect pretty easy. The CD part of the HU is connected to the radio section with a ribbon connector between the CD and radio circuit boards. I just unplugged the ribbon from both boards. I disassembled the CD section to get my CD's out, then junked it. Put the HU back in "Sally" and bingo, everything works fine. Bad News: I don't have a CD play which I rarely ever used. Good News: AM/FM/Sat/Aux all work fine, and I didn't have to spend 4-500 dollars on a replacement HU. Life Is Good!!>>
Old 08-13-2012, 07:37 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Afraid this is about as close to a walkthru as is available that I'm aware of for doing this.
2 Torx screws to start with:

The top portion in that last picture is what you want to disconnect via it's ribbon cable inside the housing. Likely a few more steps beyond this to get to it with further torx screws.

This is how to get it out:
[youtube]YXFk6GtzGi0[/youtube]

Last edited by wayne613; 08-13-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:17 AM
Twstones
2nd Gear Member

The video that Wayne posted is great instruction as to how to remove the radio from the car. But, it appears the picture he has posted would show you how to disconnect the front control panel from the radio/CD unit itself.
If I remember right, I never removed the front control panel. The ribbon cable (very small gauge wires, flat, about 3/4" wide, 5 or 6 inches long) I was referring to is on the back (rear) section of the circuit board. If I remember right, goes from the top of the radio board, to the bottom of the CD board.
If you don't have CD's is the radio, or don't care if you retrieve them, all you need to do is somehow disconnect that cable from both boards and discard. I completely disassembled the metal box, and removed the whole CD unit. Had a couple of CD's I couldn't replace. You may be able to loosen one side and pull it open enough to get a needle nose pliers, or something to pull the ribbon out. None of this is that difficult, just take your time.
Back to the battery. I'm pretty sure the radio is the main problem. What I would do, is first pull the main radio fuse. It's under the hood in the black box. Your book will tell you which number it is. Then replace the battery, us the car a few days to make sure that the radio/CD is the ONLY problem. I never had a problem with multiple other lights and warning occurring. My only malfunction was with the radio/CD. Hope this is some help, happy Mustanging.....
Old 08-15-2012, 03:31 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

I know you all like the stock look and the convinience of the indash changer if you use them but if you insist on keeping them then you should get use to pulling and repaiting it often. They really are not worth keeping in the dash as they just cause more and more frustration the longer you keep them.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:42 AM
REDHEAD5150

Angry Shaker 500 6-disc CD player

I have a 2006 Mustang V6 that came with this Shaker 500 6-disc changer. I've always had high-end home audio equipment and always had a single disc CD player. The reason is some of my friends started buying 6-300 CD holding players and had nothing but problems. The multi-CD systems wear from use. Maybe from turning from disc to disc but believe me. Always go with a single CD player, less mechanisms. Now I have to replace my stereo/CD player. I'm looking now $$$$
Old 02-27-2018, 03:32 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

My Shaker 500 has started with this problem also. I've a 2008 Shelby GT (off warranty, natch) with 39,000 miles and hadn't driven the car in about a week. It seems to start making noise as soon as I hit the remote to unlock the doors. It cycles through for about 2 minutes or so and I get the "CD Error" message.

My dealer says the only thing they can do is replace it and that there's some software upgrade it gets. The diagnosis says "Needs ACM replaced". They want $624 plus tax for what I assume will just be a refurbished Shaker 500.
I was hoping to keep the car stock, as I'd like to sell it as all original. Oh well!

Oh for the days when we could order cars with the "stereo delete" option!
Old 03-12-2018, 04:43 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

I did the cd changer reset from the You Tube video, and it just got stuck again at the same
spot. Took it all apart, moved it to the service position, it cycled through the holders
till it got to where it was, and bound up again...

You can remove the CD changer, just unplug the ribbon cable and remove. No more
Error and no more battery drain for the ones that do not shut off.

ALL that space in there, makes me want to add something to it...
Old 03-17-2018, 12:33 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

So, after over a month of this issue of the CD player cycling through every time I opened the door, today it magically has stopped!
I had not driven it for 6 days.

As I was getting my seat belt on I noticed the CD changer wasn't making the noise. I took a chance and hit Eject and it ejected all 3 CDs I had in it. 2 were homemade,and was was pre-recorded- an authentic, record company CD.

I had found a place relatively close ( hitechserv.com)that was the one that made a decent Youtube video on how to remove the Shaker 500 from the S197 Mustang. I had been wondering if I should take it to them to have the unit removed and fixed, removed and replaced with am aftermarket unit, or maybe a navigation unit. Removing the unit was something I might have been able to do myself but I wasn't sure I'd be able to hook it back up!

But since I want to keep my car stock as I need to sell it soon. I will just not load any CDs into it. Not sure how the Shaker healed itself... Maybe the cold weather today?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shaker 500 CD error (Update, also posted in MCA)