Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

looking for ideas for improving the sound in a 2013 gt?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 07:30 PM
suade907

Default looking for ideas for improving the sound in a 2013 gt?

OK, so I just ordered my car, got a 2013 gt with the track package, not the premium model. So I just have the base radio. I'm looking for ideas what I can do to improve the sound. I figure with the 4k I saved from going premium I ought to do something decent. I'm not looking to go crazy. I just want the sound to be very good and have a little bass without adding much weight if any to the car. I'd like to keep the stock radio so I guess I need ideas of speakers and how I get some more bass.

Thanks in advance I'm a radio noob.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:41 PM
suade907

Just out of curiosity because this car doesn't have sync and just the base head unit is it possible to replace the head unit without needing one of those double din kits? I actually have no idea what double din even means.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:43 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

You can start by simply upgrading the speakers, adding a sub/amp combo, or both if you want the budget generally dictates what can be done.

I thought the face of this radio was integrated into the climate controls on the '13 which would mean you will need a fairly expensive kit to mount an aftermarket radio in it.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:54 AM
suade907

That's what I figured. I saw some kits but I don't want to go that route so I'll probably just be using the stock radio and speakers and so on. I was hoping to get some suggestions if anyone has done this.

Thanks
Old 08-15-2012, 11:22 AM
jng2985

Replace your speakers and surround the with dynamat.or add a small sub like an 8. For best sound IMO replace all speakers fronts for Highs and rears for base and add a small amp to better power them off the oem head. Just go in to a legit speaker shop tell them what you're wanting and price range.
Don't worry about using your stock head unit, only reason they suck is because of the power they don't put out. Case in point I replaced all speaker added 2 tweeters an 2x 10s in my f150. All running off the oem head. Just have a big *** amp under the seat. Lol.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:13 AM
George_ORH
1st Gear Member

Another cheap alternative would be to find someone selling their factory setup from a premium car and install it into your car. They usually sell dirt cheap and you would have an immediate upgrade from what you have now and very little $$ in it??
Old 08-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Cali-Ed

I recently purchased a 13 Boss 302 and want to retain the Sync capabilities, but upgrade the base audio system. So far, all I've done is replace the factory speakers with Focals. The speaker change made a big difference, particularly at volume.

My future plans include a Scoche replacement for the audio/environmental control panel (last I checked, there was still a problem with the current version, so I'm waiting), a Kenwood 9990 HU (my understanding is a Sync module will be available from Kenwood soon), a JL stealthbox sub, and an Audison 5 channel amp.

I'm not interested in blowing out windows, just clean sound I can listen to at any volume my ears can stand.

If anyone has any constructive comments to my selection of equipment, please feel free to jump in.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:51 AM
suade907

Man, i wish i could of afforded a Boss. That's actually the model I test drove but it was raining when I did. It still felt great. If I went that route I would of had to trade in my truck and the old lady isn't allowing it. It's paid off and i really need it for the winter. We get some nasty winters here and I'd rather not be driving the stang unless it's nice out. So I guess we are in the same boat. i think the Boss and the base gt come with the same radio. I'll have mine in a few weeks. I'll let you know what i decide to do when that time comes.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:38 PM
claudermilk
1st Gear Member

I have the base radio with Sync and am planning on upgrades myself. I have the amps out of my last car (4-channel & 2-channel), and my 8" sub. I'm looking at the Zenclosures corner box for the sub--so the same setup I had in the last car. I'm also looking at component speakers for the doors and coax for the deck. It looks like Pacific Audio has a nice adapter module that will make splicing all this together fairly painless & no hacking of the factory harness.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:34 PM
johngt10
2nd Gear Member

I replaced the just the front speakers and it made a pretty good improvement in sound on my 2010gt

Quick Reply: looking for ideas for improving the sound in a 2013 gt?