Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Help with wiring aftermarket HU

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 03:01 PM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

Default Help with wiring aftermarket HU

I am getting ready to install a Pioneer AVH-P4400 in my 09 GT with the Shaker 500.

I already have the wire harness and and was looking over it today. It says the amp turn on is the blue/ white wire (+12v) in the main harness. However, every thread I have researched says the +12v amp turn on wire is the blue/ white on the smaller harness with the RCA's. On the small RCA harness there are two blue/ white wires. From reading I think one is the +12v amp turn on and one is for a power antenna.

Now my question is which is the correct blue/ white wire to put the 5v regulator on?

And does anyone know what color the wire is coming out of the headlight switch that will control the dimmer and illumination for the radio?

Thanks
Old 01-12-2013, 09:00 PM
Shawzie
1st Gear Member

For the dimmer wire,wire it to your parking lights,if you wire to the headlights it will go bright again if you turn on your hi-beams. Which harness did you buy? Doesn't the harness specify which wire is your remote and which is power antenna?
Old 01-12-2013, 10:28 PM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

Is a Metra 70-5521 harness. All of the wires in the main harness are labeled. However, I have read in other threads that the blue amp turn on wire is on the second smaller harness that has the RCA's on it. Neither one of those blue wires is labeled.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:27 PM
Shawzie
1st Gear Member

The 2 blue and white wires on the small harness get soldered together and then to the output side of the regulator. This might help you a little.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...k-go-away.html
Old 01-12-2013, 11:36 PM
Shawzie
1st Gear Member

Im not sure if your aware or not but you also need to run a separate wire for your ign wire for the head unit,2008 and up use the can bus so you need to use a ad a circuit in your fuse box,just look at your fuse box diagram and piggyback it to a delayed power circuit so that way it will be like stock and the head unit will stay on after you turn your car off until you open the door.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:00 AM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shawzie
Im not sure if your aware or not but you also need to run a separate wire for your ign wire for the head unit,2008 and up use the can bus so you need to use a ad a circuit in your fuse box,just look at your fuse box diagram and piggyback it to a delayed power circuit so that way it will be like stock and the head unit will stay on after you turn your car off until you open the door.
I have read that, but why does the power to the new radio cut off when the car is turned off? Shouldn't the OEM harness retain the power until a door is opened? How does the stock radio remain on? It's plugged into the factory harness and not wired any special way.

Also, the blue/ white white that is in the main harness that is labeled amp turn on, that's not the amp turn on? It's the blue/ white wires on the small harness? And I read on another thread that you only need one of those wires for amp turn on as the other is the power antenna wire.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:07 AM
Shawzie
1st Gear Member

The solid blue will be your power antenna,I can't see the wires in your harness but it should be the same as others. It might have a remote amp turn on in the main harness as well cause the main harness might work for other ford cars as well. You need to use the blue and white off the small harness with a 5V regulator. As for the delayed power off and ign wire you need to run is because the factory stereo uses the can bus system to turn it off and on. Google can bus and you'll understand. Can bus sends a signal for the ign power on,speed sense and dimmer,that's why you need to run these wires separately. If you check the main harness in your car,you'll see that ther are no wires actually going to those pins.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:17 PM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

Ahh Ok thanks for the info. Just some info. In the small harness, there are two blue/ white wires (identical). Neither is marked. I am going to confirm with my multimeter but I think both put out 12v, one for amp turn on and one for antenna. I don't see a reason to wire them together. If each is putting out 12v then you will still have an output of 12v not 24v. I can't figure out the reason for wiring the two together. Am I missing something?
Old 01-13-2013, 02:28 PM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

Anybody know what this harness is for? It was plugged into the radio in the middle of the two harnesses that I have the adapters for.
Name:  E3C8582E-F0E5-4198-B811-DB3549693313-7220-00000272C9EFF6EB.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  240.4 KB
Old 01-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Shawzie
1st Gear Member

That harness is not used,don't worry about it.

Quick Reply: Help with wiring aftermarket HU