Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Help with wiring aftermarket HU

Old 01-13-2013, 06:01 PM
Shawzie
1st Gear Member

Did you get the extension cable for the radio antenna,forgot to mention that! Doh
Old 01-13-2013, 06:27 PM
Shawzie
1st Gear Member

Your going to love the sound difference with the new HU,it seems to bring everything alive! I have the shaker 500 as well and the difference with a new HU is night and day.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:48 PM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

The antenna adapter is the only thing I have left to get. The HU doesn't get delivered till tomm. so I'll pick one up. The proper one is a Chrysler adapter right? I am pretty confident I know what needs to be done thanks to this forum. I can't wait to get it installed and hear the difference.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:13 PM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

For the dimmer wire and the power wire that enables the radio to go off when the door is open...Do you know what color wire is the parking light wire and what should I do to run the power wire to enable the open door/ power off?
Old 01-15-2013, 11:38 PM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

Ok having some issues. I wired up my pioneer harness to the Adapter harness. I wired in the bypass relay and the 5v regulator. When I plug in the Pioneer I get nothing. Plug in the factory radio and it powers up. Then when I plug in that middle factory harness, the radio comes on and is on an AM station as default. Are you sure that middle harness is not used? Also it appears that the pinout for the adapter harness has the 12v red wire on the wrong pin. The pioneer bench tested fine both before I plugged it into the car and after. I have found very little install info using a 2009 GT. Is there any differences between an 05-08 to an 09?
Old 01-16-2013, 10:50 AM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

Does anyone know what that middle harness does? There are wires in the harness and the factory radio obviously relies on something in that harness. As far as the 12v ignition wire in the stock harness...its not getting power when the key is on. But when the stock radio is installed it works fine. I read on another forum that somebody with an 08 GT had the same problem. I'm thinking when I run the add a circuit from the fuse block to the 12v ignition wire, that will solve the problem....I hope. Also, is there a way to retain the stock 3.5mm aux input that is in the center console? I don't have sync so there is no USB just the 3.5mm jack and a 12v power port.

I have never done a write up before but I think I may do one with more detailed pics on the wire harness connections, running a separate 12v ignition wire, and the dimmer wire. I know those things would have helped me greatly but this forum has been extremely helpful also.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:21 AM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

UPDATE....

I used the add a circuit and tapped into fuse #6 on the fuse panel. Fuse #6 is the "accessory delay power feed." I ran that to the 12v ignition wire. Plugged in the radio and everything fired up perfectly. Voltage regulator worked perfectly and the parking brake bypass relay I made also worked. Only thing left to do is find what wire will give me +12v when the parking lights are turned on.

Just so everyone knows the Metra 70-5521 wiring harness does not have the 12v ignition wire in the correct pin location. Not sure if I got a bad harness but it is definitely in the wrong location. It really didn't matter that much because I ran the accessory 12v wire anyway.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:29 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

It's not in the wrong location, they just stopped running it as the factory radio got it's turn-on signal via the CAN-BUS. Happened about mid-year 08 productions onward. Hence most using the PAC C2R-FRD1 units so they don't have to run another line, or bother with a bit of that.

The 12pin middle plug is for the aux in. You can get that harness separately should you want to be able to plug in a 3.5mm phono-jack into the center console's plug for say an mp3 player or the like. If you have no use for that, then you can just not bother.

Last edited by wayne613; 01-17-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:04 PM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I just found that harness online and figured thats what it was for. I kind of figured it was some kind of feature unique to the 2009 model because there is next to nothing in any forum about an aftermarket HU install for 09 Mustangs. They are all for 05-08 models. I may get that harness in the future but the USB is fine for now for my iPhone. I may decide to put my 20GB 5 year old iPod in the glove box permanently as I have really no other use for it other than to keep a backup of my music library. I

I don't understand why someone would pay $130 for a harness when a $3 add a circuit and $.50 worth of wire will do the same thing.

Now if Pioneer would only issue a firmware update to support iOS 6 bluetooth and video out features.

Last edited by NOLA26; 01-17-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:13 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NOLA26
I don't understand why someone would pay $130 for a harness when a $3 add a circuit and $.50 worth of wire will do the same thing.
It can be had cheaper, it also gets the CAN-BUS signals for other things, such as VSS, e-brake, and does the 5v turn on for you for the shaker series amps. It is prone to a flaw that requires you to do more than just hook it up though, same for the variations. Just saves a lot some extra hassle they don't wish to deal with, much like iOS vs. Android IMO.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with wiring aftermarket HU