Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2000 to 2003 Center Console Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 12:17 PM
amvaughn

Default 2000 to 2003 Center Console Swap

Hello all,

I know this has been talked about in the past but I have yet to find the answer I am looking for. I own a 2000 Mustang GT. I just purchased on E-bay the center console, shifter console and radio console out off a 2003 SVT. I am planning to swap them this weekend hopefully. My main question are on the traction control, Rear Defrost, and Fog light switches. My current rear defrost switch is in the dash by the ins. cluster. Traction control is in the shifter console and Fog Light switch is in the center console. I'm guessing none of the current plugs and wiring will work. My question is between the two models do they have the same amount of leads? My thought was finding a 2001-04 in a junk yard and cutting the plugs out of them and rewire to my leads. Same applies to fog light with some additional wire to reach. Has anyone actually done this? Are there aftermarket plugs that convert the two? Will there be more wire leads on one plug vs current plugs?

Thanks!

Austin V.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:32 PM
amvaughn

Default Update On console

Ok all I have swapped the center console with from the 2000 to the 2003. I had to take the emergency brake loose at the back to get the handle high enough to remove the old and install the new. I also had to use the wiring harness from my original 2000 center console. One plug went to the 12v plug that is now in the center cubby instead of right outside the center cubby. I removed the switch from the 2003 in front of the cup holders and routed the fog light switch there for now. 2003 had a convertible top switch.(Had to cut some of the electical tape loose off wiring harness to reroute the fog light switch to the front a little bit.) Next will be the shifter console and radio bezel out of the 2003. The 2003 only has cigarette lighter in the shifter console where the 2000 has both cig lighter and Trac Conrol. Will keep you updated on that rewire.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:40 AM
Toadster
1st Gear Member

got pics?
Old 05-18-2013, 06:50 AM
amvaughn

Toadster,

Do you want pics of the finished job or some of the wiring changes? I now have the radio bezel installed. MGW quick throw shifter installed and the switches. I was able to go to a junk yard and find the switches, cut them off with the plugs included with 6 inch wiring leads. Wiring the trac control and fog was a breeze. I think there was one extra wire on the trac control between the two harnesses and all i had to do was match the colors. one had two of the same color so one connection had three wired together instead of two.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:58 AM
amvaughn

Update,

I went to Wal-Mart and purchased a 2001-2004 Aftermarket radio insert. This allowed me to install my current single din radio into the new 2din console while i save up for a new 2din radio. I want one with GPS. It interesting getting this insert to work. The next problem posed is finding some way to get a 2 din radio to slide in and sit secure. I have seen posts where a bracked was installed across the front right below the radio. I'm worried about room there because of the switches. I've also heard of using fiberglass apoxy to attach a cage to the bezel.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:59 AM
Toadster
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by amvaughn
Toadster,

Do you want pics of the finished job or some of the wiring changes? I now have the radio bezel installed. MGW quick throw shifter installed and the switches. I was able to go to a junk yard and find the switches, cut them off with the plugs included with 6 inch wiring leads. Wiring the trac control and fog was a breeze. I think there was one extra wire on the trac control between the two harnesses and all i had to do was match the colors. one had two of the same color so one connection had three wired together instead of two.
curious to see the before/after pics
Old 05-23-2013, 07:22 PM
Toadster
1st Gear Member

any pics yet?
Old 05-25-2013, 05:18 PM
amvaughn

Default Pics

Here are the pics. I had to buy a 1u aftermarket radio instert to install until i get my 2u radio

http://s936.photobucket.com/user/aus...tml?sort=3&o=1

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/a...v/IMAG0082.jpg

http://s936.photobucket.com/user/aus...tml?sort=3&o=2
Old 05-26-2013, 10:58 PM
Toadster
1st Gear Member

Looks great!
Old 06-14-2013, 11:54 PM
xluisx48

Hey man Iwas just searching this same swap and I was wondering exactly how you wired the buttons to work I'm stuck on this lol I'd appreciate your help!

Quick Reply: 2000 to 2003 Center Console Swap