Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Upgrading 94 Convert w/mach 460

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 10:08 AM
firedawgy

Default Upgrading 94 Convert w/mach 460

Ok so as I bounce around I seem to get a lot of conflicting info about upgrading in my opinion the pos mach 460 system in my 94 gt convertible. For now I installed a Alpine deck and used the specialized harness to keep the stock amps. 1st question, what size are the rear and front speakers, crotchfield says 6x8, others say 6.5's. Second I have heard the best way to do these 460 systems is to rerun the speaker wires and bypass the stock amps, so just speakers to the deck, is that right? Also as far as a sub, not a big un, maybe just a 8" for a little punch, is there any other way besides the trunk, there's little enough space in there. Just want to get all the bases covered before starting yanking panels. Thanks all
Old 07-18-2013, 09:19 AM
clucas

I believe the readers are going to be the 6.5 and the tweeter I can't remember about the fronts on that year, but most likely it is the 5x7/6x8 in the front. You'll definitely want to get a sub though because you'll feel like there is a lack of bass when you bypass the mach system. It is so easy to run wires in that year that you may as well just run the wires directly to the speakers.

I think I would do something like a 4 channel amp to run a set of component speakers in the front and a sub in the rear. If you feel like you need the extra volume of speakers in the rear you could do a 5 channel a,p for everything. The amp is going to make a huge impact in how it sounds though.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:57 AM
firedawgy

the deck is pretty good power, what about about running 6x8's or whatever sizes in the front and rear to the deck and a 8" bazooka tube with amp in the trunk, that wont take up too much space, or have also seen 8" subs in the sides of the trunks. Whats your opinion on that?
Old 07-18-2013, 07:43 PM
clucas

Right now you're using the stock deck, but most likely it is running to the mach amps. That is why it doesn't sound to bad, and you have enough volume. When you bypass those amps you're actually going to be taking a step down in power to about 18-22 actual watts. That will be okay, but you will definitely notice the lack of volume when you are riding with the top down, and you'll also notice the onset of distortion sooner. You can always try the radio and the new speakers first and then get an amp later. That's up to you.

I would say most bazookas are great for added bass. They do fill nicely for just that little extra, but again you're fighting with the convertible top. You may not get as much sound out of it as say someone who has a coupe mustang. I would probably look to the two 8"s on the sides, or maybe one 10" subwoofer. In my opinion I like to go bigger when dealing with a trunk and a convertible top to get sound in. Plus it will give you that little bit of extra when you do have the top down.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:19 AM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

I am not too familiar with your mustang, but in the newer ones I remember unplugging the amp and the speakers still worked without running wires. it may or may not be the same for you.
I think a bigger sub is better, as long as you can fit it. I have a 12" in my trunk and because of the box I built, it only takes a corner so we still have room for anything else we want in the trunk.
I have never been impressed with 8" subs, I would go with at least 1 10", or a 12" if you can fit, and if you have the space and money, get 2 subs.
What kind of budget do you have for this?