Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Need ideas for '14 base V6 audio

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 06:46 PM
rvastang
1st Gear Member

Default Need ideas for '14 base V6 audio

Let me preface this by saying that I'm completely audio dumb.

I have a '14 base V6 with the tech and sync packages. So it's the 4 speaker setup. I would like a little better sound than what I've got now, but I don't want to lose the Sync stuff.

I know upgrading the head unit is best, but would just upgrading the 4 speakers make much of a difference? If so, what should I look for in a replacement speaker for this application? I can get the sizes and stuff from Crutchfield, but I'm not sure what to look for wattage wise that would sound decent driven by the head unit.

If just swapping out the speakers wouldn't be worth the trouble, what should I do? Remember, I don't want to lose Sync.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:28 PM
clucas

I'd start with the speakers. The front and rear are all 5x7/6x8 speakers. Different manufacturers call them different things, but they are pretty much the same thing. You could do a set of 5.25" components in the front that will give you a separate mid and tweeter, but that's up to you. I'd try to visit some local stores so you can hear the speakers, as what sounds good to your ears may be different from any person who is giving you a recommendation. If you find the ones you like, them you can see if you can get a better deal somewhere online.

I'd start with the speakers, them see if there is something missing you'd like to remedy next. Next step could be a subwoofer, or even an amp for the 4 speakers.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:38 AM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

If you don't want to lose sync, the quality of the sound will be very reliant on how much money you want to spend.
I agree that starting with speakers is a good idea, get the best you can afford IMHO.
If speakers aren't enough then either get a sub, or amp the speakers, or both. They have kits at every car audio store to take a signal from a HU and send it to an amp for either speakers or the sub.
If amped speakers and a sub isnt enough for you, then you can get a sound processor. I don't know much about them, but I know that they will help a lot, especially if you are using the stock HU.
Last thing you can do after all that, without upgrading the HU, is to add some type of sound deadener. There are lots of options for that, so find one that works for you.
If you still don't like it then you will have to replace the HU, unless someone knows of something that I don't(very possible haha).