Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Android Tablet Install/Build into a 2005 Mustang

Old 08-14-2013, 03:03 PM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

thats basically exactly what i was planning AJ, was following a corvette tablet install and was gonna copy him, same clarion part too :P
Old 08-14-2013, 03:11 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lem-06
thats basically exactly what i was planning AJ, was following a corvette tablet install and was gonna copy him, same clarion part too :P
I'm not much of a car audio guy, so I'm trying to figure out how the hell to make all this work together. I read that same install among a bunch of others. That whole combo seems like the winner, the funny thing is I really don't even want to replace the stock speakers at first, but I know I should. I'm more interested in the tablet as an entertainment center/nav and such. I don't really even listen to music in my car most of the time, and sound quality won't matter much in a convertible with O/R exhaust. I almost think it'd be more of a pain in the *** to try to wire it up on the old speakers though. The amp would probably be in the trunk, so I'd be rewiring anyway.

Last edited by AJ06GT; 08-14-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:24 PM
Eismann
1st Gear Member

AJ, I haven't found an app yet that I like and have wanted to keep for the hands free. I will end up just doing a little more research on that.

As for the pre-amp, I had thought about doing it and looked into it but decided against it after testing everything out with the headphone jack. The A500 does have a USB connection/dock that can be bought for it but again after testing it out I didnt think it was worth it and then I wouldn't have been able to cut the tablet like I did. Something to keep in mind with a head phone jack. They are sending out a digital signal but are considered analog since it is only left and right. Over all sound quality between the USB adaptor and a headphone jack differ very little.

Either way you do it as long as you are happy with it you will be just fine.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:45 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

If it all works as is then that's great, definitely less of a pain in the ***. I don't know about the A500 but the Nexus 7 is known for pretty crappy audio out. It does have support for a ROM that will allow you to use an external DAC though, that's not redirected audio output through USB, it's entire audio processing on an external device which is where you get the increase in sound quality. Whether or not it's necessary is of course dependent on your own ears and perception of the sound. I can be a little bit of an audiophile at times, but like I said, my car isn't exactly a good sound stage. As for the preamp, I think that's more of a matter of if it works without it, it's not necessary, but the power of the signal can be too low for some amps I've read. Plus the EQ and volume are worth the cheap price themselves. Dunno if I can fit it in the dash though, was considering mounting that in the center console or glove box, though that makes the volume less accessible.

One of the nice things about the N7 that I noticed is that the headphone jack and usb ports are on a separate board so when you take off the back, those can be relocated incredibly easily so you don't have to worry about a 90 degree jack or where the route the wire like you ended up coming across, though it looks like you handled it with no issue at all which is still reassuring for me who hasn't actually ripped the dash out to take a look at it all yet.

Bottom line is there's definitely a LOT of ways to go about doing this kind of a setup. I'm happy to see other people trying the same idea though since I couldn't find a tablet install on an S197 yet. I just want to make a fun project out of it that I can build myself and have something pretty unique.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:57 PM
Eismann
1st Gear Member

That there are many ways to go. One thing to keep in mind, whether you go with the smaller or larger tablet, is that the entire radio and climate control trim has a slight curve outwards that you may or may not have to compensate for.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:23 PM
steev
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJ06GT
If it all works as is then that's great, definitely less of a pain in the ***. I don't know about the A500 but the Nexus 7 is known for pretty crappy audio out. It does have support for a ROM that will allow you to use an external DAC though, that's not redirected audio output through USB, it's entire audio processing on an external device which is where you get the increase in sound quality. Whether or not it's necessary is of course dependent on your own ears and perception of the sound. I can be a little bit of an audiophile at times, but like I said, my car isn't exactly a good sound stage. As for the preamp, I think that's more of a matter of if it works without it, it's not necessary, but the power of the signal can be too low for some amps I've read. Plus the EQ and volume are worth the cheap price themselves. Dunno if I can fit it in the dash though, was considering mounting that in the center console or glove box, though that makes the volume less accessible.

One of the nice things about the N7 that I noticed is that the headphone jack and usb ports are on a separate board so when you take off the back, those can be relocated incredibly easily so you don't have to worry about a 90 degree jack or where the route the wire like you ended up coming across, though it looks like you handled it with no issue at all which is still reassuring for me who hasn't actually ripped the dash out to take a look at it all yet.

Bottom line is there's definitely a LOT of ways to go about doing this kind of a setup. I'm happy to see other people trying the same idea though since I couldn't find a tablet install on an S197 yet. I just want to make a fun project out of it that I can build myself and have something pretty unique.
Awesome. It also looks like there's a Y cable to allow USB OTG and charging, you need cyanogenmod and a custom kernel though. I think that would be my route. I also have a double din mount that I can mess with.