Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Ford Sync is kind of a jerk

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 06:27 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stangette
Bummer, what would it take to upgrade to the touchscreen with nav?
You can't; it's practically impossible. The touchscreen/nav hardware for the 2012 Mustang requires automatic climate controls. If you didn't get the nav option, you don't have automatic climate controls, and you can't add them after the fact.

You also can't install MyFord touch because the electronics architecture is different in cars which come with MFT. You're stuck with what you have unless you rip everything out and go aftermarket.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:15 AM
vegas_
1st Gear Member

It looks like Ford is dumping Microsoft.
http://seattletimes.com/html/busines...kberryxml.html
Old 02-27-2014, 10:58 AM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

I just recently started getting the "Indexing...please wait ////" problem. After a master reset, switching the iphone off for a while (I use my old iphone 4 as my "ipod" now since I have a 5) no issues until yesterday 2/26/14.

I googled the problem and seen on various Ford forums (F-150, Focus, Fiesta) and saw something about pulling a fuse and/or battery cable. Such a headache because it had been fine since I purchased the car in November.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:28 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by So_Cali
I just recently started getting the "Indexing...please wait ////" problem. After a master reset, switching the iphone off for a while (I use my old iphone 4 as my "ipod" now since I have a 5) no issues until yesterday 2/26/14.

I googled the problem and seen on various Ford forums (F-150, Focus, Fiesta) and saw something about pulling a fuse and/or battery cable. Such a headache because it had been fine since I purchased the car in November.
Yeah, seems something broke for 2012MY cars. I've run into that several times on my '12 GT, and my sister has as well on her '12 Fiesta. I've been bitching up a storm, but no fix yet. It's infuriating to me that it's been going on so long without a fix.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:38 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
Yeah, seems something broke for 2012MY cars. I've run into that several times on my '12 GT, and my sister has as well on her '12 Fiesta. I've been bitching up a storm, but no fix yet. It's infuriating to me that it's been going on so long without a fix.
Yea it's definitely a pain in the ***. This is my first time dealing with this. Only thing I can think that I did different was recently add some new music, that's when this started happening. I used to love the feature :/
Old 03-02-2014, 10:49 AM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by Stangette
Bummer, what would it take to upgrade to the touchscreen with nav?
Hi Stangette,

jz78817 is correct; the touchscreen is not offered as an option once the vehicle has been built.

Yea it's definitely a pain in the ***. This is my first time dealing with this. Only thing I can think that I did different was recently add some new music, that's when this started happening. I used to love the feature :/
Hello So_Cali,

Although the iPhone 4 may stream music via USB, CONNECTING TO USB isn't one of the supported features of this device. This may be why you're experiencing issues: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...atibility-sync

It sounds like you've already tried master resetting the SYNC system and soft resetting your iPhone. These are great troubleshooting steps. If you have another supported media player or a USB, try connecting it and see if it produces a different experience.

Also, keep in mind that these are the supported audio formats: MP3, WMA, WAV, and AAC. Check the new music that was recently added to make sure the new songs are saved as one of these formats.

Kim
Old 03-02-2014, 02:04 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Although the iPhone 4 may stream music via USB, CONNECTING TO USB isn't one of the supported features of this device. This may be why you're experiencing issues: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...atibility-sync
he's not trying to tether, though. This bug happens if you either 1) change the music stored on your device enough times, or 2) connect different devices to USB. Then, SYNC has to re-index the music on the device. Except it seems SYNC never purges old index information, and eventually voice commands will stop working for USB media sources, then you'll get a "Sorry, Index is full" error, and any device you connect to USB will get you nothing but an infinite "Indexing.. |||||" readout on the CID. A master reset won't fix it, restoring to factory defaults won't fix it, you have to hard reset the SYNC module. it doesn't matter if the device is an iPhone, an iPod, an Android phone, or just a USB thumb drive.

I didn't have this problem on my 2010 Mustang, but I know of several 2012MY cars which have run into this issue. This problem has existed for two years now with no fix.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:56 AM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

he's not trying to tether, though. This bug happens if you either 1) change the music stored on your device enough times, or 2) connect different devices to USB. Then, SYNC has to re-index the music on the device. Except it seems SYNC never purges old index information, and eventually voice commands will stop working for USB media sources, then you'll get a "Sorry, Index is full" error, and any device you connect to USB will get you nothing but an infinite "Indexing.. |||||" readout on the CID. A master reset won't fix it, restoring to factory defaults won't fix it, you have to hard reset the SYNC module. it doesn't matter if the device is an iPhone, an iPod, an Android phone, or just a USB thumb...
This, before I added some new music to my iPhone/iPod, SYNC USB responded to my voice commands. Now when I go to try and do it, it gives me an "indexing...please wait ///" no matter how long I leave it connected via USB to "index" I am no longer able to use voice control SYNC via USB
Old 03-03-2014, 07:00 AM
rvastang
1st Gear Member

Read FordIVTteam's post carefully. They're saying connecting your iPhone 4 to Sync via USB is not officially supported even if it appears to work.

That reeks to me of Ford washing their hands of the situation. "Oh, it's not on our woefully outdated compatibility list, so try a different device." And with the BlackBerry/QNX announcement, Sync is a lame duck product so it's not going to get any better.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:50 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

he's not trying to tether, though. This bug happens if you either 1) change the music stored on your device enough times, or 2) connect different devices to USB. Then, SYNC has to re-index the music on the device. Except it seems SYNC never purges old index information, and eventually voice commands will stop working for USB media sources, then you'll get a "Sorry, Index is full" error, and any device you connect to USB will get you nothing but an infinite "Indexing.. |||||" readout on the CID. A master reset won't fix it, restoring to factory defaults won't fix it, you have to hard reset the SYNC module. it doesn't matter if the device is an iPhone, an iPod, an Android phone, or just a USB thumb drive.

I didn't have this problem on my 2010 Mustang, but I know of several 2012MY cars which have run into this issue. This problem has existed for two years now with no fix.
Hi jz78817,

I am able to assist with basic troubleshooting when it comes to SYNC systems. I'm just making sure we don't overlook any of the easy stuff.

This, before I added some new music to my iPhone/iPod, SYNC USB responded to my voice commands. Now when I go to try and do it, it gives me an "indexing...please wait ///" no matter how long I leave it connected via USB to "index" I am no longer able to use voice control SYNC via USB
The next troubleshooting step I would recommend is removing fuse #3 (like you mentioned earlier). Make sure the engine is off while doing this. You'll find more information about fuses on page 236 of your manual: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo.../12musog3e.pdf

If this does not resolve the issue, I suggest scheduling an appointment at your dealership.

Kim

Quick Reply: Ford Sync is kind of a jerk