Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Ford Sync is kind of a jerk

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 06:12 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Fair enough, I was just trying to make sure we weren't talking past each other.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:48 PM
sidehack

Default I Phone

My problem lies with my I phone being synced. The dealer has tried syncing it 3 times to my 2014 Mustang and each time after about 2 days it loses it. After the 3rd time the dealer told me that the phone i just bought is not compatible with Ford Sync. You would think Ford would have included the Samsung Galaxy with the sync system.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:32 AM
vegas_
1st Gear Member

Default TUNE for SYNC ?

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Hi jz78817,
The next troubleshooting step I would recommend is removing fuse #3 (like you mentioned earlier). Make sure the engine is off while doing this. You'll find more information about fuses on page 236 of your manual: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo.../12musog3e.pdf
If this does not resolve the issue, I suggest scheduling an appointment at your dealership.
Kim
How long should one keep the fuse out? As an electronics designer, I might hazard a guess thats its more than second and more than a minute. Automotive electronics is designed to include some short duration power retention, for use during periods of power loss, e.g. starting the car or changing the battery. I might suggest that you leave the fuse out overnight, with the car off, key out, and doors shut.

If that doesn't work then I'm guessing the Sync board needs a factory reset, or re-flash.
I wonder if the community of hackers could figure out how to do this. Perhaps FORD should facilitate this, after all they have facilitated this type of procedure for the engine controller, thats what a 'tune' is.

FORD should release the source code for Sync, and technical info for the hardware.
Though Microsoft would go batsh*t crazy if this happened, but given the damage Microsoft has done to Fords reputation, I think it would be justified.

Last edited by vegas_; 03-04-2014 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Typo's
Old 03-04-2014, 04:02 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by sidehack
My problem lies with my I phone being synced. The dealer has tried syncing it 3 times to my 2014 Mustang and each time after about 2 days it loses it. After the 3rd time the dealer told me that the phone i just bought is not compatible with Ford Sync. You would think Ford would have included the Samsung Galaxy with the sync system.
Just for clarification, are you having trouble connecting a Samsung Galaxy or an iPhone? Would you like both devices paired to the SYNC system at the same time?

Originally Posted by vegas_
How long should one keep the fuse out?
Hi vegas_,

If you need to pull the SYNC fuse, I recommend removing it for at least 3 minutes. This seems to do the trick.

Kim
Old 03-04-2014, 07:00 PM
sidehack

Kim at Ford IVT Team:
I apologize i did not mean to say I Phone I need to Sync my Samsung Galaxy Legend with My 2014 Mustang.

Thank you Sidehack
Old 03-05-2014, 06:40 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by sidehack
Kim at Ford IVT Team:
I apologize i did not mean to say I Phone I need to Sync my Samsung Galaxy Legend with My 2014 Mustang.

Thank you Sidehack
It looks like the Samsung Galaxy Legend hasn't been officially tested:
http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...atibility-sync

This doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't compatible, so I'd like to suggest some troubleshooting.

If your phone is currently connected to SYNC, delete the phone from SYNC and delete SYNC from the Bluetooth menu of your phone. Once it is no longer connected, remove the battery from the phone and replace it. Power the phone back up and pair the phone again: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...our-phone-sync

Here are some other troubleshooting tips for connection issues: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...eshooting-sync

Kim
Old 03-06-2014, 10:21 PM
Stangette

I have a question, what happens to us sync users if/when ford switches to the new crackberry system? Will we still have product support or should I just go ahead and upgrade to an aftermarket system.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:39 PM
RetiredSFC 97
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stangette
I have a question, what happens to us sync users if/when ford switches to the new crackberry system? Will we still have product support or should I just go ahead and upgrade to an aftermarket system.
Bump this up. I would like to know the same thing. FYI, my sync does some of what the op said his does. Seems like it just gets forgetful at times and doesn't know what is hooked up and what is not.

In my opinion the shaker system is about as useful as a used turd. The only thing I really wanted was Bluetooth. The rest of it is just for show. I can get bluetooth capabilities in an aftermarket head unit. And if I wanted still have voice commands.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:21 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by Stangette
Hi Stangette,

I am unable to speculate on future Ford product plans, but I can confirm that we are long-term partners with Microsoft and will continue to work with them for the future. If you ever need help with your system, you know where to find me.

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
Bump this up. I would like to know the same thing. FYI, my sync does some of what the op said his does. Seems like it just gets forgetful at times and doesn't know what is hooked up and what is not.
Hello RetiredSFC 97,

Provide some more details. Are you hearing any specific error messages when using the SYNC system?

Kim
Old 04-03-2014, 11:46 AM
vegas_
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by vegas_
Thank you for reading and responding to our ramblings.
I think my post did not quite express my great satisfaction with my Ford.
Playing MP3's with Sync is not perfect, but very very close, maybe a 9.5 out of 10.
In the Mazda, it's maybe a 2 out of 10.
Just an update, I just got back from taking by wifes Mazda into the dealer, the bluetooth capability suddenly stopped working. They are ordering a new module, which he said was an updated version, will take a few days. The car only has 4000 miles on it, The Internet is ripe with complaints from Mazda owners about blue tooth problems.

Just wanted to post that to temper the 'myth' that Japanese cars are better than American cars. I'll keep my Ford sync rating at 9.5/10, but drop my Mazda rating to 1/10 pending the repair. It will be interesting to see if the MP3 player action will be any different once they do the repair. It shouldn't, but if they are replacing a 'module' that module may include both blue-tooth and MP3 functions.

Quick Reply: Ford Sync is kind of a jerk