Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Audio/Visual Electronics
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 04-06-2014, 08:36 AM   #11
Redfire6er
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ford Mustang Convertible

Ok guys the speakers I bought from Crutchfield online. They came with the adapters, and free shipping. Total cost for the 4 speakers, and 4 adapters was......$99.98. The speakers I got were Sony XSGT5738F. The stock front speakers were garbage. The stock rear speakers were better than the front, heavier (bigger magnet) than the front. I think the combination of replacing the fronts and the rear speakers was a huge improvement. For 100 bucks you can't go wrong. I would recommend doing both sets.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Redfire6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #12
DAD_23
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 07 GT Vert

I just dug into my rears yesterday only to find out there is nothing there
I knew there were no speakers installed but worse is there is no wiring for them either. Shaker 500 setup, no rear speaker wire setup at all. Odd I would think. Anyone see this same issue?
Old 04-06-2014, 01:26 PM   #13
Redfire6er
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ford Mustang Convertible

Wow that's odd. I would think that there should at least be wiring for the speakers.
Redfire6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:45 PM   #14
chadc880

Vehicle: 2010 Ford Mustang GT Grabber Blue Convertible V-8
Default RE:

There you go the rear speakers install video.

chadc880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:14 PM   #15
Tom M.

Vehicle: 2012 Shelby GT500 convertible

I just upgraded my 2012 GT500 convertible, your excellent videos made it pretty easy.

I used 2 pairs of Kenwood KFC-P680C speakers in the front and back, and the Kicker subs from Shelby American. The Kenwoods were $90 a pair from Amazon.com, and the Kickers were $150 from shelbystore.com. I also got 2 Metra 72-5600 adapters for a total of $15. The total was under $400 for everything including shipping and tax.

I also bought the Boom Mat foam speaker baffles, it turned out there wasn't room for them so I didn't use them.

If you get these speakers, you're going to need additional 3/4 inch long #8 self tapping screws. The OEM Ford screws won't work on the Kenwood speakers, they have a shoulder flange that's too big. Kenwood gives you 6 of these per speaker pair, but you're going to need 14 per pair total: 4 to secure the plate, and 3 to secure the speaker to the plate. So buy 20 of them just in case. Luckily I had them in one of those assortment packs so I didn't need to go to the hardware store.

Following the videos it was pretty easy. Working at a leisurely pace the driver's side took me about 2 hours to do the front and rear, and the passenger side about 1 hour.

The sound improvement is unbelievable. I did some fairly critical listening to the OEM speakers playing Steely Dan's Gauchos, and Aimee Mann's Charmers. The Kenwood/Kicker combination has much more extended highs - such that I can still hear - and a smoother midrange. Vocals are noticeably clearer. The bass doesn't have a one note thump like the OEM speakers did, drum sounds are more clearly defined.

I know a lot of people have sprung for big amps, and if you're going to really have a great system of course they're worthwhile. But I have to say that the Kenwood/Kickers seem to be more efficient than the OEM Ford, and they will definitely play louder. I don't feel like an amp is required at all.

This is a great upgrade, well worthwhile, and it's what I would highly recommend unless you're going to spend a lot more money.

Tom M.
Tom M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:14 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement