Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Upgrading 2014 GT's base audio

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 11:11 AM
artdohc
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
I think those are only there for the enclosures for the shaker 8" subwoofers.
Yeah, I don't remember seeing those big openings on my Shaker 500 setup.

If you think you'll have the Dynamat to cover some of the inside door skin you should do it to help with any hollow sounds or sound echo. Otherwise, keep the Dynatmat for the driver side door and you can always buy some basic insulation from Home Depot/Lowes to stuff into those openings to help cut down any hollow/echo sounds you might hear, and it'll be way cheaper.

While a huge amount of the sound insulation I used was Damplifier and Overkill, I also used basic home sound deadening in areas where sound quality wasn't my #1 concern and killing road noise was (the trunk).
Old 02-10-2014, 12:12 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Ahh, you two are correct. There are styrofoam inserts attached to the inside of the door liner that fill out those holes. Precisely where my Shaker500 subs would've been on the old stang.

I'll go back and purchase a large Second Skin roll to complete my trunk and fill out the inner door panel, for sure. Thanks again guys.

One thing I forgot to mention that I'm quite proud of was that we re-purposed the coax plug from the stock speaker by soldering it to the db571. It really wasn't necessary, but it makes future tear-downs a bit easier.

Last edited by SPARTAN VI; 02-10-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:19 PM
merlin66043

So this is probably a silly question, but if I wanted to install a sub I could install one here? I also have a 2014 GT with the base sound system. it is a convertible though. I was trying to figure out the best place to put one.

thanks.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:01 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by merlin66043
So this is probably a silly question, but if I wanted to install a sub I could install one here? I also have a 2014 GT with the base sound system. it is a convertible though. I was trying to figure out the best place to put one.

thanks.
trunk, passenger side rear corner.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:38 AM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
trunk, passenger side rear corner.
Agreed! I have had 3 mustangs, 1 with the sub in the center, 2 with it in the rear corner and I like the rear corner a lot better. With a convertible you don't have the fold down seats as far as I know, so putting the sub front and centered in the trunk wouldn't take up as much space as it does in my coupe, but I still vote for the back passenger side corner.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:05 PM
merlin66043

Anyone happen to have any basic plans or write up on building a sub enclosure that would fit the back passenger corner? I have a convertible so it doesn't look like JL audio has a stealthbox that fits. I haven't decided on a sub yet. Am looking at JL audio though. Any other suggestions? Want something that will work in a smallish box. Still need to be able to use the trunk as trunk.

thanks.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:47 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

For a convertible i doubt you will find any plans out there. but I can't imagine it being too different than the coupe.
I would recommend doing it as simple as you can. It will probably end up with a square end and a pointy end and vertical sides. To make one I would start with some cardboard or paper, cut it to roughly the right size for the area, and then put it on the trunk floor where you want the box to go. trim the edges to make it fit without interference, or add pieces where you need. Make sure you take into account any parts that come out from the side/back of the trunk when you build your bottom piece. If not you will have more angles to worry about and that makes the box more complicated.

Here is my box, as you can see it is complicated, if I had a picture of the back you would see how complicated it really is.

The bottom left corner is roughly a 45* angle, and the back has a few other angles to get around the wheel well.
If you don't want the angles, like I recommend, the box will be slightly smaller, but you can make it stick out more to make up for it.

I hope that helps a little at least.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:38 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

nicely done enclosure.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:40 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Thanks, I did add a bracket on top that the bolt holding the carpet in place connects to. anyone know why ford decided a 1/2" bolt was needed for the flimsy carpet there? seems like overkill when there is a plastic one about a foot below it!
Old 10-04-2014, 02:25 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ticopowell
Thanks, I did add a bracket on top that the bolt holding the carpet in place connects to. anyone know why ford decided a 1/2" bolt was needed for the flimsy carpet there? seems like overkill when there is a plastic one about a foot below it!
it's probably one used for the big-*** subwoofer enclosure for the Shaker 1000 system. since the weld nut is already there, might as well use it for a trim hold-down.

Quick Reply: Upgrading 2014 GT's base audio