Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2013 Audio Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 07:02 PM
kirk35
1st Gear Member

Default 2013 Audio Upgrade

One of the things I disliked most about my car was the factory stereo, it was probably the worst sounding factory system I've heard in a long time. In order to take care of the issue I placed a quick order to Crutchfield. They were offering 50% off on the install gear with the purchase of a HU, so I couldn't beat their price anywhere.

My parts list consisted of the following:
  • Pioneer MVH-X560BT Digital media receiver
  • Scosche FD1441B Factory Integration Adapter
  • Metra 40-CR10 Antenna Adapter
  • iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR Factory Integration Adapter
  • iDatalink Connect ADS-HRN(SR)-F Harness for Ford/Lincoln/Mercury
  • Two Sound Ordnance M-4050 Amplifiers, 50 watts RMS x 4
  • One Pair Pioneer D-Series TS-D6802R 6" x 8"
  • One Pair Pioneer A-Series TS-A6885R 6" x 8"
  • Two Pioneer Champion Series TS-W254R 10" 4 Ohm SVC Subs
  • Atrend E10d Sealed Box [Dual 10"]
  • Two PowerAcoustik KIT-4G, Amplifier Installation Kits
I chose the MVH-X560BT because it was cheap and had all of the features I wanted. I'm waiting on Pioneers new Nav series to come out this spring and thought this would hold me until then. I'm actually pleased with the quality and sound of the HU, especially for the price.

I ordered the Scosche dash kit with the touchscreen climate controls for the installation. The dash kit matches the factory interior very well, the climate controls seem to be of a durable construction and function well. Set-up of the climate controls took about 30 seconds, Scosches instructions are well written.

I used the iDatalink Maestro RR module and the correct iDatalink cable to tie in to the cars wiring. This is by far the easiest SWI to program that I've ever used.

I've always had good luck with Pioneer products so I went with TS-D6802R's in the front doors and TS-A6885R's in the rear deck. I opted for two TS-W254R 10" subs in a sealed enclosure by Atrend.

To power everything I decided on two Sound Ordnance M-4050 amplifiers, one powering my 6x8's (4 ch. x 50 Watts RMS) and the other bridged in two-channel mode for my subs (2 ch. x 180 Watts RMS).

The whole install was pretty much straightforward so I won't go into too much detail. I did want to mention that the Atrend box fits very well under the package tray. I added a little extra 1/4" plywood and carpet to it, just to fill in some of the gaps, the box is about a foot narrower than the opening behind the back seats. The amps are mounted on the back of the box in the trunk with the subs facing the cabin. Anyone riding in the back seat gets a complimentary back massage!

As far as sound quality goes I'm very happy with the way it turned out.Here are a few pics of the finished install.
Name:  Mustang3-22-2014006.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  111.2 KB
Name:  Mustang3-22-2014004.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  109.4 KB
Name:  Mustang3-22-2014001.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  119.0 KB
Old 03-24-2014, 07:16 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Looks like a nice clean install. Did you do it all yourself?
How much space did you lose with the subs and amps where they are? and is the box angled to match the floor? looks flush on both front and back... probably from the extra plywood that I just now saw that you put in.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:21 PM
kirk35
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ticopowell
Looks like a nice clean install. Did you do it all yourself?
How much space did you lose with the subs and amps where they are? and is the box angled to match the floor? looks flush on both front and back... probably from the extra plywood that I just now saw that you put in.
Thanks! I did do the install myself, I basically lost everything under the rear package tray to subs and amps. I built an angled base to keep the box sitting level and of course I made sure I can still access the spare without moving anything!
Old 03-25-2014, 06:28 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kirk35
I made sure I can still access the spare without moving anything!
THAT^^^ is one of the toughest things on our cars... My sub is off to the side, so it works, but barely! I have to take it out to get the floor of the trunk to sit right .
How do you like the climate control you bought? looks almost better than mine. (check the install sticky for pics)
Old 03-26-2014, 12:33 PM
kirk35
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ticopowell
How do you like the climate control you bought? looks almost better than mine. (check the install sticky for pics)
I do like the controls, but if I'd put more thought into it I would have probably gone with the Metra kit. The only reason I say this is that the factory display doesn't show anything except the outside temperature and compass heading, it looks awkward with 95% of the display blank.

If the touchscreen holds up over the long-term I won't have any complaints.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:20 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Good to hear, If there is a next time I will keep in mind the extra unused space... and probably not get that one . They have newer ones with nav and such all in a neat little package... I just wish these ones had the radio higher.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:20 AM
RetiredSFC 97
1st Gear Member

Looks real nice
Old 03-29-2014, 07:56 AM
12V Guy
Former Sponsor

There is a solution that places the radio higher and uses the factory display fully. See here:
https://mustangforums.com/forum/audi...-mustangs.html

AND for 2014, you can use this solution with Kenwood 2DIN AV units that have 4 digit part numbers i.e. DDX5901.

Cheers,
Old 03-29-2014, 01:43 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

True, I have seen that... The problem is that I have a Pioneer HU and already have everything installed.
Had that come out when I first got the car I probably would have used it
Old 03-30-2014, 05:23 PM
kirk35
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 12V Guy
There is a solution that places the radio higher and uses the factory display fully. See here:
https://mustangforums.com/forum/audi...-mustangs.html

AND for 2014, you can use this solution with Kenwood 2DIN AV units that have 4 digit part numbers i.e. DDX5901.

Cheers,
Any plans on support for the new Pioneer Navigation units?

Quick Reply: 2013 Audio Upgrade