Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

First step, speakers or amp?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 09:19 AM
Airslot

Default First step, speakers or amp?

I have a bone stock 2012 base vert. I want to do some minor stereo upgrades over the next few months. My music taste is mostly County, Classic Rock, or Adult Hits type stuff.

Would I be best served with an initial $150 outlay for new speakers or a small alpine 4 x45 amp?

Looking past that, will a slim line powered sub fit under any seat? Maybe the rear seat? I haven't looked that far yet, but I'm guessing no.

Thanks in advance,

'Slot
Old 05-29-2014, 02:42 AM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Speakers first, or a sub/amp combo... I don't think you will be able to fit any amp or sub under the front seats, and definitely not the back seat. Most people but stuff in the trunk on our cars.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:01 AM
Ford-a-tude
2nd Gear Member

I added a 12" sub only to my shaker 500 system and I think it sounded great. In 2005 there was no iPod or Aux in so I was forced to eventually upgrade the whole system. Regardless, throw a powered sub in the trunk and see how good it sounds. I'm not too familiar with the headunit in the 2012, but like the older units I'm sure there is a way to tap the pre-amp outputs. Using speaker level inputs to drive the sub amp is not the best way to do it.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:30 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I'm not too familiar with the head unit in the 2012, but like the older units I'm sure there is a way to tap the pre-amp outputs. Using speaker level inputs to drive the sub amp is not the best way to do it.
I have a 2012 with the Shaker 500,it does not have line level outputs for an amp.
The rear speakers do have the full freq range, several of us here on this site use them to run a speaker level input amp, or a convertor to line level that runs to an amp. I was worried about alternator noise or distortion, it actually sounds pretty good. The next step up would be to replace the head unit with one that has line level outputs, which is really the best way to go.
If you add a sub in the truck, you might a well put the amp there as well.
There is room in the drivers side kick panel for a small amp. I have a Sony 200W amp mounted there that drives the 8" subs in the doors that come with the Shaker 500. I like this because I need my trunk space, and I'm happy with the loss of bass-that you only get with the larger subs. I would not use my amp to drive a larger sub. I'm not sure if its possible to add the 8" subs to the doors. You would also have the issue of running new speaker wires to the doors, I think you need to remove the doors to run additional wires into them.

Last edited by Chromeshadow; 06-15-2014 at 01:33 PM.