Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

kind of pissed ...

Old 07-20-2014, 01:02 PM
IvanRad
2nd Gear Member

Default kind of pissed ...

so i paid 800$ for my 2007 v6 mustang to have the stock deck ripped out i had 2 jl audio speakers to replace the shaker door speakers the big *** subs . all other door speakers and rears were replaced with fosgates . all this 2 channel 4 channel crap is pissing me off because my audio guys are telling me . that in order to power all 6 speakers i need a 5 channel amp . i bought a 4 channel kenwood 700 watt amp with 80 rms . the audio guy was only able to hook up my brand new custom fitted fosgate sub to it . now the only thing powering my jl audio is my stock shaker amp . so my peice of **** shaker 500 watt amp is basically able to power all 6 door and rear speakers . but my kenwood isnt . Then he starts to go into all thos rms and bridging crap and the audio guy lost me here . how in the world is a shaker 500 amp powering all 6 speakers but a kenwood 4 channel amp cant power all 6 speakers makes no sense at all to me. sorry had a bad day . forgive me for all the typos . why dont we just build 8 channel amps ? save the earth some resources ? forget about all the 2 channel amps
Old 07-21-2014, 10:25 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

the Shaker 500 only has external amps for the 8" door woofers; the main door speakers and rear speakers are powered by the factory radio. The amps for the subwoofers need a line-level input, you might be able to use the subwoofer pre-out from the new head unit.

but it's kind of hard to figure out by your post what these people actually did.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:03 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Each amp is designed for a specific number of speakers, so your 4 channel amp is designed for max 4 individual speaker channels. If you want to power 6 channels you can use 1 channel for multiple speakers, but like your installer was saying, that can be bad for your setup, speakers and amp.
If you want good sound start by ditching the door subs, then use the amp you have to power all 4 main speakers. Buy another sub specific amp for your subwoofer and you will like that better too.
If all you want is the cool factor then you are doing it right... if you want something that sounds good you will want to listen to your installer or do some research yourself before buying anything else.
If you are just venting that is fine as well, and feel free to ask questions so you can understand what your installer is telling your. you might even be able to install some of this stuff yourself and save you some money.
I hope that helps, and like I said ask away and Ill help explain and answer anything I can.