Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

I need help in buying

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 12:40 PM
LMR

Default I need help in buying

1992 Mustang hatchback with a Pioneer head unit. I'm not sure of the size speakers in place. I was thinking 3 component speakers up front and I think there are 6x9 in back I would replace. I also will want an amp which I don't know anything about quality wise. Mind you this has a blower on it and tends to play its own music. What would be a good set up for the Fox body on parts alone? $1000-$1500 budget.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:38 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

I would start by checking crutchfield to make sure you have the right sizes, or being an older car you can pull the current speakers and measure to make sure the new ones you buy fit properly. Component speakers are nice, get the biggest woofer you can fit and afford.
There are a number of good brands, it depends on how many speakers and how high of quality you want. If you are just doing speakers without a subwoofer (most think a good pair of 6x9 speakers will be good enough to not need a sub), you can get away with 1 decent 4 channel amp. I like JL audio, Alpine is a good brand, and I am sure there are others that are along the same lines. I think Pioneer and kenwood are similar quality, but lower than JL or Alpine. I wouldn't do rockford personally, but I have no experience with them, kicker wires are good, but I am not a fan of their speakers or amps either.
For $1000 you can get 4 decent speakers and an good amp, look for about $250 a pair for speakers and a $500 amp. try and make the RMS numbers on the amps match the speakers, so if the speakers say 150 watts each, you will want a 600 watt RMS amplifier. you can fudge the numbers a little, and more amp power than the speakers is better than less, and isn't going to hurt the speakers (kinda backwards but that's how it works).

let me know if you have any more questions. and fyi this is all just personal opinion, and free advice, so take it for what it's worth.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:58 PM
LMR

I was thinking starting with Morel Virtus up front for now and a McIntosh amp. Would this be a waste being that the car has a blower and nice exhaust. It really isn't bad on the highway. I was hoping some one on here would know the speaker sizes but shouldn't be hard when I get the car back from being programmed.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:03 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

never heard of morel virtus actually, sounds expensive . and you usually get what you pay for with car audio. Crutchfield has speakers sizes, looks like you have a 3.5 in front, 6.5 in the doors and kick panels, and 6x8's in the sides of the back seats.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:30 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LMR
I was thinking starting with Morel Virtus up front for now and a McIntosh amp.
get whatever speakers you like, but there's no need to spend that much on a "McIntosh" amplifier. It doesn't cost much to make a good amplifier. even a very, very good speaker has at least two orders of magnitude more distortion and is at least two orders of magnitude less linear than even a cheap amplifier.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:41 PM
LMR

Thanks. Talking to a Larry there now. He said Kicker 6x8's