Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Carplay is Here

Old 10-02-2014, 12:22 PM
ststang

Default Carplay is Here

Bought and installed a Pioneer NEX 4000 to replace my 2005's Shaker 500 system earlier this year. Today, the Apple CarPlay firmware was released for all the NEX units. Easy upgrade and here it is...

All I have to do now is learn to communicate with Siri better.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:23 PM
djklein21

AWESOME! Tell us more. I really want to put a new deck with Carplay into my 2005.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:18 PM
ststang

Not much to tell. I had it installed at a local shop about a month ago. Have been using the HD Radio and iPod/iPhone connection to play music and directions waiting for CarPlay.

CarPlay integrates the iPhone (5, 5s, 5c, 6, 6+) with the NEX unit. You can use the touch screen to navigate the apps but it is much safer to use Siri. You can get Siri's attention by pressing and holding the screen indicator at bottom left (see photo), by pressing and holding the unit's Home button or turning on the "Hey Siri" function on the iPhone.

Pioneer has announced a new model today called AppRadio 4 which comes with CarPlay support. It has a smaller touch screen than mine (6.2 inches vs. 7 inches). All the units are pricey. It is much cheaper (got mine $200 cheaper) if you buy it online (Amazon, eBay, etc.) and then have someone install it. Installation cost me $140 which included labor, dash board kit and emergency brake bypass switch (needed for CarPlay).

My first impression is Ford Sync hears and understands better than Siri but that is probably due to the placement of the microphone in my car which is at the top of the A pillar to the driver's left. In my Ford Escape, Sync hears fine from driver or passenger side. I need to get used to using Siri and phrase my commands better.

There are a few Apple approved apps I need to get. iHeartRadio being one of them to get local stations while traveling. iTunes Radio is like having satellite radio.

Remember, when using CarPlay, you are using your iPhone's voice and data plan. You can see the signal strength and type on the left side of the screen below the time in the photo. I am still grandfathered into an unlimited data plan with AT&T so I will not mind using CarPlay a lot. Others might have to think carefully about using CarPlay due to their data plans.

Last edited by ststang; 10-03-2014 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Found another way to launch Siri
Old 10-03-2014, 09:30 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

crap. the Pioneer 2-DIN unit I have for my Ranger is one generation too old for this.