Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

How to enable "phone" on 2011 OEM base HU?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 09:59 AM
pyroerebus

Default How to enable "phone" on 2011 OEM base HU?

I bought a 2011 Mustang last week (I think it only has an appearance package. Interior is completely base), and it has a "phone" button on the bezel, but it does absolutely nothing when I press it. Presumably, the original owner wanted nothing extra factory installed for the sound system (not even a USB port in the console, nor is a satellite receiver installed). I've tried searching for a part, but as with anything factory, it seems like a big secret that only the dealership has the answer to.

Is there an OEM harness/adapter/wire/dongle that can be connected to the current HU to enable the phone/Bluetooth button, or do I need to replace the HU? If I must replace it, which OEM HU will fit behind the current bezel? Keep in mind that I have no stereo controls on the steering wheel. I'm lucky it has CC.

I'd really prefer to keep the original bezel and just enable the functionality of a currently useless button instead of installing an aftermarket. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks for your help!
Old 01-19-2015, 10:10 AM
shouldhavegottheGT
2nd Gear Member

Pretty sure you need to install sync for the phone button to work. They use the same HU for the base and premium models.

Your other option if you want Bluetooth and audio streaming while keeping the stock HU is a plug and play Bluetooth device. There are quite a few posts on how to do it.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:29 AM
pyroerebus

Originally Posted by shouldhavegottheGT
Pretty sure you need to install sync for the phone button to work. They use the same HU for the base and premium models.

Your other option if you want Bluetooth and audio streaming while keeping the stock HU is a plug and play Bluetooth device. There are quite a few posts on how to do it.
Thanks so much for the reply. I've been looking into those, but I wouldn't be able to utilize any hands-free functions on my phone if the plug and play device has its own mic and needs to be inside the console (for access to the aux input and a power supply). People have a hard enough time hearing me on speakerphone if the mic isn't within a foot of my face, no less inside of the console. Maybe I'll have to look harder for one with an external mic that can be mounted elsewhere.

How would I get Sync? Wouldn't I have to purchase a different HU? I know it's not currently on mine.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:50 AM
pyroerebus

I just stumbled upon a couple of really great threads (sorry, I guess I didn't look hard enough before posting) and I've decided that Sync is not the way I want to go. Too involved and way too expensive to just talk on the phone through my stereo system. I might as well get a couple mods for that price! Looks like I'll be on the hunt for a plug and play Bluetooth device with an external mic.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:05 PM
shouldhavegottheGT
2nd Gear Member

Adding sync to a non-sync car is pretty expensive. You can probably add an aftermarket HU with touchscreen and Bluetooth for the same price.

Check out the interior/audio section. There's some good post there with some reviews for the aftermarket Bluetooth. Some are definitely better than others.