Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Awful speaker static

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 04:12 PM
bmowens

Default Awful speaker static

okay so i have looked and looked and cannot find any solution. i have a 2007 mustang gt premium with a shaker 500 system. i have upgraded the headunit to a pioneer 270bt bluetooth touch screen stereo. amps and subs and speakers are all stock to my knowledge. for about a month or so now whenever my car get warm the speakers start making a static noise that gets worse if i hit the brakes or hit a bump. if i start the car cold it is completely fine but once it gets warm it starts to static out of the subwoofers. also when the static starts i also get the annoying engine noise that resonates thru the speakers and it gets louder when i hit the gas. then if i turn the car off and back on while its still warmed up the speakers go crazy loud with static.

i have no clue where to begin to look. the stereo headunit has been installed for months and months before this has happened so i am kind of ruling out wiring behind the headunit itself. any help would be great. Thanks!
Old 02-09-2016, 09:08 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

the audio input wires to the subwoofer amps are messed up. almost sounds like what would happen if one of the RCA cables to the amps has partially backed out.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:02 AM
bmowens

Originally Posted by jz78817
the audio input wires to the subwoofer amps are messed up. almost sounds like what would happen if one of the RCA cables to the amps has partially backed out.
So you think its something with the amp itself? I havent actually taken the door panel off to see anything yet. I may do it tomorrow depending on how cold it is.

The only thing im wondering tho if it hadto do eith the rcas would it be constant all the time?
Old 02-10-2016, 11:02 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bmowens
So you think its something with the amp itself? I havent actually taken the door panel off to see anything yet. I may do it tomorrow depending on how cold it is.
don't bother taking the door panels off, the amps are in the kick panels below the dash.

The only thing im wondering tho if it hadto do eith the rcas would it be constant all the time?
if it has an aftermarket radio and the subwoofers are still working, then it has one of those PAC factory integration interfaces. That translates the signal coming from the aftermarket head unit to the input signal the factory amps expect. Usually they use RCA connectors, so if the connector has backed out partially then one conductor is "floating" and it will pick up a ton of noise. it might have backed out just enough to contact some of the time but not always.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:04 PM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

In that case above, doing it while warm and not when cold would make sense as metal contracts when cold and expands as heated. So it is probably the ground prongs(outside) of the RCA jack. A nice little pressure on them to close them in and snug them up would probably do the trick.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:06 PM
bmowens

Originally Posted by ucinn
In that case above, doing it while warm and not when cold would make sense as metal contracts when cold and expands as heated. So it is probably the ground prongs(outside) of the RCA jack. A nice little pressure on them to close them in and snug them up would probably do the trick.
Okay sweet. I will definitely try that. So where exactly after the amps? I read somewhere that they are in the door panels?
Old 02-10-2016, 12:08 PM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

don't bother taking the door panels off, the amps are in the kick panels below the dash.

JZ78817 posted this above, hope that helps
Old 02-10-2016, 03:09 PM
bmowens

JZ78817 posted this above, hope that helps
Okay so update: i drove the car home and the speakers were doing it so i found the amp where you said and tapped on it. When i tapped on it the speakers made a static noise. So the i turned off the car and unplugged the harnesses into the amp and there was like a yellowish residue on the prongs so i whiped it off and pluged them back in and drove again. This time is didnt go static as fast but it still did so this time i drove it home and unpluged the harness again and there was even more yellowish residue. Is this supposed to be here??

Also you said something about like tightening a metal clamp or something. Which i know exactly what your talking about on a normal amp but the amps i have just have harnesses into them theres no acutal wire to clamp connection.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:17 PM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

I was talking about the metal tabs on an RCA jack but it sounds like you don't have those. It would be the tabs on the black connector in this pic.

Don't know what the yellow is, but could be your problem. You car isn';t leaking into the interior is it?

Old 02-10-2016, 03:28 PM
bmowens

No it looks like this. Sorry i can get a better pic later. I literally pulled over to the side of the road to take this haha

I was talking about the metal tabs on an RCA jack but it sounds like you don't have those. It would be the tabs on the black connector in this pic.

Don't know what the yellow is, but could be your problem. You car isn';t leaking into the interior is it?

No it looks like this. Sorry i can get a better pic later. I literally pulled over to the side of the road to take this haha

Quick Reply: Awful speaker static