Hey guys, new member, started on the sound system in my 07 and thought I'd share the story. I previously installed a custom console with an iPad in my F150 and loved it so much I thought I'd put an iPad mount in the stand too. I found faceplates that house IPads and provide a factory look, that was the easy part. I don't like how it covers your stereo, so I decided to try something.
Here is the faceplate from a place called store.audiodesignscg.com, goes for $300. Can also get from American muscle for similar price.
Here is how it covers the stereo, which is what I don't like. I bought a Kenwood KDC-X998, which has Bluetooth, Sirius XM ready and a rear USB port.
I'll use a magnetic cord like this for ease of use plugged into the rear USB port of the deck.<br/>
I used a regular Scosche Stereo bezel.
Now for the fun part, relocating the faceplate of the stereo. Since most aftermarket single din stereos have removable faceplates for anti theft, I figured I'd just run some wires (20 to be exact) between the brain and the faceplate. Here are some pics.
The wires coming from the brain. This is the top half of the connector.
Same only the bottom half of connector.
Applied this over the connections to seal everything and limit stray arc/shorting.
Close up after Goop was applied.
Threw in some quick connectors for ease of installation.
Made sure that one connector was opposite direction to the other so I can't mix them up upon install.
Top side of faceplate wiring.
Bottom side of faceplate wiring.
The Sirius receiver that plugs into the back of the stereo.
Front of the stereo for example.<br/>
Now I used long enough wires to be able to run from the stock location of the deck, all the way up the a pillar and into the Center of the roof, in which I'll remove the dome light and build a custom overhead console that'll house the faceplate of the stereo. I'm 7 hours from home for the next few weeks but as I install and improve on the build I will post updates. In case you're wondering, I have plugged the stereo in to my truck after the extension process and yes it does work, all functions work perfectly and ran the setup for a few hours with no problems what so ever.
Another thing I had planned for the iPad was to install a Bluetooth back up cam that sends video to an app on the iPad when camera is activated, which will be a nice touch. Any comments and ideas are more than welcome.