Bullitt Mustangs

need advice on launching (im horrible haha)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 07:58 PM
whiteponypower

Default need advice on launching (im horrible haha)

well this is my first manual mustang and i cant seem to get a good launch for the 1/8 im doing nothing but spinning first and second gear and after that i tend to go sideways each shift after that. soooo any suggestions on how to launch good? and keep her straight. (4.10 gears might have somthing to do with it)
Old 10-06-2009, 09:31 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

If you're on street tires (which it sounds like) i would just come off idle and nail it! When i was on streets that's the only way i could hook with my 3.90's.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:08 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Ya sounds like street tires. I don't know if it's just me since I'm new also, but it is hard to get a good launch on street tires (especially my bald *** tires). You could always try to feather the clutch a little rather than dumping it and giving it hell right away.

Or you could solve the problem with good sticky tires
Old 10-08-2009, 08:28 PM
whiteponypower

ok i have tried feathering the clutch and light throttle then when i get moving nail it. still spins and 2nd gear light throttle then hit it still spins and goes sideways and every gear after that it wants to get crazy on me. i have 275 40 17 sumimoto htzr or somthing like that on it all the way around that should be enough rubber for a basicly stock stang too hook with basic bolt ons on a sticky track still dont get it my old 01 gt with auto ran 13.5 and never had a problem hooking (auto) with all this spinning i can only get a 8.8 1/8 mile if i get stickeys what do you thing my times would be?
Old 10-09-2009, 11:49 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Sounds like you need new tires and maybe some suspension work. And who knows the track you run on might have crappy prep.

If you get slicks they will help and will lower your time, especially if your not slippin and slidin all over the track.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:41 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

Sounds to me like a combination of bad tires, bad suspension, and probably a bad track. Slicks would be nice, but at least get some DR's. Get some decent UCA/LCA's, and maybe try a different track. Ask a few guys where they prefer to go.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:01 PM
whiteponypower

no suspension is good and somewhat new I have summimoto htzr or somthing like that just need to get some spare wheels with drags slicks on it
Old 10-11-2009, 03:36 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

What suspension do you have? And btw, what are you're 60' and 330' times?
Old 10-11-2009, 07:39 PM
whiteponypower

from what i have read it is the same springs and basic parts from a cobra except not independent rear and its a higher spring rate then the gt and lower then the gt with bigger sway bars. its the bullitt and its all been replaced recently my 60 ft time was from 1.8 to 2.2 and 330 times i dont remember but i am spinning entire first gear no matter how I launch i still spin. the only way I dont spin 1st is if i lauch it like im just starting out normal then 2nd gear try to nail it but going slow on 1st gear kills my time haha
Old 10-11-2009, 07:44 PM
jvinson
1st Gear Member

where in nc are you

Quick Reply: need advice on launching (im horrible haha)