Bullitt Mustangs

Stuck at 2K RPMS? Bad TPS possibly?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 01:41 PM
Feered

Default Stuck at 2K RPMS? Bad TPS possibly?

So recently I've run into an issue with my Bullit getting stuck at 2K RPM's intermittently. I can't pin point a cause other then the possibility my throttle position sensor is going bad. No big deal because cost and replacement is rather cheap but before I go out of my way to do that, I would like to see what you guys think.

So, when this does happen... If I give my car a good rev, the RPM's will drop back down to idle (sometimes) - 750 RPMs give or take. Sometimes I notice it has a hard time trying to drop back down to idle and will stick at around 1K RPM's.

Here is a perfect scenario: I'm cruising at 40 MPH (64 KPH) and I throw it into neutral coming to a red light. Instead of dropping to near idle, car drops or increases to (depending what gear I'm pulling out of) to 2K RPM's. When I hit about 30 MPH and below, the RPM's will drop with the speed of the car (odd, I know). When I hit 0 MPH, my RPM's will finally drop and stick around 1.2K (this isn't what I consider idle). If I give it a good rev, the car will drop to around 900-1K RPM's and if I'm lucky, it will drop to complete idle at around 750 RPM's.

It's not preventing me from driving but I'd rather take care of it before it goes bad all together... assuming it's my TPS to begin with.

Tell me your thoughts! I do have a couple of others questions I have regarding my engine that I'll fork into another thread once I've gotten to some resolution with this issue.

Thanks for your time guys!
Old 07-07-2020, 09:56 PM
Tanner Prestholt

Default Same problem how did you fix it

Originally Posted by Feered
So recently I've run into an issue with my Bullit getting stuck at 2K RPM's intermittently. I can't pin point a cause other then the possibility my throttle position sensor is going bad. No big deal because cost and replacement is rather cheap but before I go out of my way to do that, I would like to see what you guys think.

So, when this does happen... If I give my car a good rev, the RPM's will drop back down to idle (sometimes) - 750 RPMs give or take. Sometimes I notice it has a hard time trying to drop back down to idle and will stick at around 1K RPM's.

Here is a perfect scenario: I'm cruising at 40 MPH (64 KPH) and I throw it into neutral coming to a red light. Instead of dropping to near idle, car drops or increases to (depending what gear I'm pulling out of) to 2K RPM's. When I hit about 30 MPH and below, the RPM's will drop with the speed of the car (odd, I know). When I hit 0 MPH, my RPM's will finally drop and stick around 1.2K (this isn't what I consider idle). If I give it a good rev, the car will drop to around 900-1K RPM's and if I'm lucky, it will drop to complete idle at around 750

It's not preventing me from driving but I'd rather take care of it before it goes bad all together... assuming it's my TPS to begin with.

Tell me your thoughts! I do have a couple of others questions I have regarding my engine that I'll fork into another thread once I've gotten to some resolution with this issue.

Thanks for your time guys!
How can I fix this