California Regional Chapter Chapter President: Matt's 95 Stang

Buying a mustang with straight pipes

Old 04-24-2013, 06:04 PM
dabsevo

Default Buying a mustang with straight pipes

Sorry I think this is the best place to put it cause CA laws and emissions are no joke.
Would you buy a mustang that has headers and straight pipes? It's a 95 gt.
I was told by the muffler shop that this model has 6 converters!!! 6!! WTF.
I dont know what headers are in it but is it possible to at least pass emissions with the converters only and header in? Taking out the headers would be a major hassle esp for me since I dont know how. Id have to learn how to and find a replacement part and it'd be a real PITA.

not sure but i think the dude said he can hook it up with a smog place that will pass the car but that's a pretty big risk esp if they dont do it for me and only for him. it's not future proof either. plus the whole environment thing.
any cheap solutions to this?
Old 04-24-2013, 06:09 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

I don't think you would have to remove the headers to do that. This might help...
http://www.americanmuscle.com/unders...t-systems.html
Old 04-24-2013, 06:12 PM
dabsevo

Well the thing is, I dont know if the headers on the car are CA legal. So if I put catalytic converters on and it doesn't pass CA emissions, I'm going to have to find CA legal headers or stock ones and go to work all over again. Might end up costing me a lot more money than it's worth to get it legal.

Can anyone confirm if the 95 GT 5.0's really do require 6 converters? What's the minimum needed to pass smog?
Old 04-24-2013, 06:24 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Well, you could always search some junk yards if you end up buying it for a full stock system. Six sounds freaking nuts to me but the 95's are not exactly my area.

Talked with a friend he said the 95's had four stock. So not sure where that shops getting the idea of 6. Which should be after the headers, I don't think an emissions center is going to pop the hood and look at the headers and say umm nope those are not stock fail.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:54 PM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

In Colorado, it is the responsibility of the seller to get the car smog tested. Why not just ask your seller to deal with it?
Old 04-24-2013, 08:46 PM
dabsevo

Originally Posted by rbowmar
In Colorado, it is the responsibility of the seller to get the car smog tested. Why not just ask your seller to deal with it?
he'll do it but he gets it done under the table i think so once it's mine, the parts are my problem even though it "passed" smog. i think im going to pass on it.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:58 PM
MustangInTexas
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rbowmar
Like the OP said, if the guy has a (shady) guy that will pass it, doesn't mean he can get it passed next year. I'd pass on the whole deal, if it were me or take it to YOUR guy and see if he would pass it - before purchasing it.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:01 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

Pass unless you have your own guy to deal with getting it passed.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:31 PM
dabsevo

So if i want to go legal, can i get one of those xpipe exhausts with two cats on them and be able to pass smog?
Old 04-27-2013, 08:16 AM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

You want a system that is certified CA compatible (CARB) and comes with an emissions warranty. I just went through this in Colorado so our laws are not as stringent. It was a big hassle and quite expensive. Passing emissions is more than cats. The engine has to operate just right so the exhaust can be cleaned up.

To put the cost and configuration questions to rest, check the new Ford OEM unit. the Colorado 1999 V6 was $1800.00 with 4 cats. Headers not included. With installation and engine repairs, close to what the car is worth.

I would pass on this car.

Good Luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying a mustang with straight pipes