Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

CAROLINA CHAT

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 01:07 AM
sonicx
speed'n

@ Hunter: whoa whoa whoa.... i must be in the stone age here. That incar head unit not only has gps/dvd/mp3 etc but it's also a electronic dashboard which shows your rpm's and speed accuranty???? Wayy cool man

@ Brighton: (guess I can finally meet ya internet to internet lol).
I got TWO WORDS for you.... Maximum Motorsports

There are hands down the best in the aftermarket suspension world for all generations of mustangs. 2nd to none. SUSPENSION.... never ever go the cheap route when it comes to this. Wait if you must but you want the very best espcially if this is a car your planning on keeping awhile. JAZZER THE CAT (MF member who is the site guru imo has taught be alot about suspension... very insightful Kat)

Anyways Brighton what are your needs specifically? Because that depends upon what your need to buy. LIKE, you want street, stripe, track, auto-x, what?

If your looking at kits though see what you think of these:
STARTER:
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...oducts_id=1114
SPORT:
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...oducts_id=1115

Otherwise tell us what your looking at doing? For there it's going to be easier for us to point you in the direction you'd like to go .... suggesting brands n such. Hopefully more will chime in on this But never the less your still going to be north of 1k if you want a decent handling/riding ride in your s197's.

PS: Sorry, i got no exp with s/c or turbo. I can't help ya there.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:49 AM
HasABetterSN
3rd Gear Member

I dunno I went 315s cause they look sweet out back, I'll throw a picture up, its too rainy and polleny to get any good pics, but I snapped a couple in the sun yesterday

Old 03-30-2011, 11:34 AM
HT
5th Gear Member

The head unit itself doesn't display the gauges. I have a Performance Computer called a Magden M1.b and it's sole purpose is to tap into the cars OBD-II port and display all the information that it can provide, as well as compute even more information. Once I get it set up correctly, the Magden will also tell me Dynamic HP and Dynamic Torque. There are 16 readings that can be displayed (only 5 at a time, as shown). It outputs in VGA, S-Video, and Composite Video, so basically it can be displayed on any screen imaginable, so I chose to display it on my new Head Unit. It also data logs, and can log weeks of data at a time on a USB and then that information can be pulled up on a computer and analyzed, sort of like a continuous dyno, except the goal isn't maximum power, it's more about daily driving and maximizing performance in those situations.

I haven't really gotten to play with it much at school, but it seems really cool.

Oh, and it's crazy accurate. As accurate as the car gauges, but it outputs a number as well, so it's even more helpful. You get an exact speed, exact number of RPMs (but it changes to fast to read much past the the hundreds digit), and anything else. It's actually really weird looking down and seeing 67% fuel rather than just estimating "a little under 3/4 of a tank."

If I ever find a good deal, I want to put screens in the back of each headrest, and split the video signal into 3, and display the gauges on those as well so back seat passengers can see whats going on, but I have more important car priorities than that. I just think that would be cool.

Last edited by HT; 03-30-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:00 PM
HasABetterSN
3rd Gear Member

damn Hunter, thats super cool. Makes my little Pioneer look like an 8 track
Old 03-30-2011, 02:16 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

Haha, thanks. It's pretty sick, install was a major pain though. I still have a bit of work to do on it, gotta screw with some more wires back in there, and find a way to run the wires and mount the computer somewhere, I'm thinking under the passenger side dash, attached somehow...but idk. It's behind the drivers seat right now, and it's not going to stay there.

Those 315s look sweet. Nice and flush. I have 295s out back on Baja, and they fit flush, I guess it's just a different model thing. Looks great though. Just noticed that my sig says 293/30/20. Apparently I had some custom width tires made...I need to fix that.

Last edited by HT; 03-30-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:53 PM
HasABetterSN
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by HT
Haha, thanks. It's pretty sick, install was a major pain though. I still have a bit of work to do on it, gotta screw with some more wires back in there, and find a way to run the wires and mount the computer somewhere, I'm thinking under the passenger side dash, attached somehow...but idk. It's behind the drivers seat right now, and it's not going to stay there.

Those 315s look sweet. Nice and flush. I have 295s out back on Baja, and they fit flush, I guess it's just a different model thing. Looks great though. Just noticed that my sig says 293/30/20. Apparently I had some custom width tires made...I need to fix that.
Yeah I bet the wirings a bitch. It'll look really awesome when its all complete though, and the data logging will be freakin sweet.

Yeah they look perfect on there, really changes the way it looks. The stock 245s were so looked like they belonged on a Civic
Old 03-30-2011, 03:08 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I've never soldered before this, and I had no idea what was going on in the dash, but I figured I needed to learn sometime, and this was the chance.

The only thing I still need to do in the dash is switch the video input cable for the PC into the Rear View Camera input. That way, I can listen to music while displaying the GPS on the right 1/3 of the screen and the gauges on the left 2/3.

I know what you mean with the tire size.

There really just isn't a comparison to them. That picture was from when I took the stock wheels off of my V6 and put on my 295s and CS40s. That was the first thing I ever did to my first car...and it was definitely the best choice. I saw a S197 the other day that sounded great, had a Cervinis C-Series Front Fascia and Side Exhaust, what looked like a Trufiber hood...and stock V6 wheels and tires...and it looked pathetic. Wheels definitely make a huge difference, and the right tire size plays just as huge of a role.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:37 PM
HasABetterSN
3rd Gear Member

wheels definitely make a huge difference, I had painted stockers on before (still in my sig) that looked ok, but I kept burning through to redline in 2nd at the track, so I needed wider tires and wheels.

ugh I do so much soldering, as an EE major. Useful skill to have, thats for sure
Old 03-31-2011, 10:09 AM
sonicx
speed'n

@Mike: Gotcha man (refering to tires). BTW: Car looks good.

@ Hunter: Dang dude.... Idk if i've ever seen something quite that fancy b4 for a head unit. Bet that cost a pretty penny.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:30 AM
HasABetterSN
3rd Gear Member

Thanks man, I tried to stand out from the other 1.5 million red New Edges roaming around. The car was completely 100% stock when I got her exactly one year ago..

Quick Reply: CAROLINA CHAT