Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

CAROLINA CHAT

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 09:03 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Zodiac
Just leaving the house, be there say 5pm next Thursday?
Step on it!
Old 01-18-2016, 09:15 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Zodiac
Just leaving the house, be there say 5pm next Thursday?
Originally Posted by CPTCO
Step on it!
Now this is funny....LOL
Old 01-20-2016, 10:31 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Looking in to Spring Break trips right now. Are there any decent beaches in South or North Carolina that aren't completely overrun by college kids? Was kin of toying with the idea of Savannah or Charleston. I k ow Alan was around there recently. Thoughts? Biggest concerns are crowd and temperature.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:51 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Can't speak for savannah, but charleston beaches are pretty calm except for folly, that's the spring break beach. If you want really quiet and remote either Kiawah or ediston sland. Kiawah is more of a nature preserve, Edisto is just houses. Both are pretty removed from stuff though, so you'd have a 30 minute drive to restaurants. Bestnton Pl an on stopping at a grocery store (both have those locally) and cook while you're there. All rental properties on both, I prefer kiawah.

Hilton head is the best of both worlds, but expensive. Price helps to keep most of the college crowd out though. Lots of tourist stuff but they keep everything as natural as they can with small nature preserves and green everywhere. Hotels are the main way to go, a few rental properties.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:01 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jeffk
That's because it's too damned HOT Crent. lol.

Are most places fully recovered from the flood? I always mean to ask you but forget.
Well I forgot to respond so that evens it out?
Pretty much, no long term effects to the infrastructure. Not sure of changes to come, gotta rebuild the water intake canal to Columbia, lots of people lost their local ponds. The ponds may not make it back because of permitting and cost to "properly" engineer the dams, most of them had been made before anyone cared . There are a few projects to bring some of the more historic and public ponds/lakes back around though. Thankfully my parents pond and neighbors weren't affected.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:13 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by clowe1965
Can't speak for savannah, but charleston beaches are pretty calm except for folly, that's the spring break beach. If you want really quiet and remote either Kiawah or ediston sland. Kiawah is more of a nature preserve, Edisto is just houses. Both are pretty removed from stuff though, so you'd have a 30 minute drive to restaurants. Bestnton Pl an on stopping at a grocery store (both have those locally) and cook while you're there. All rental properties on both, I prefer kiawah.

Hilton head is the best of both worlds, but expensive. Price helps to keep most of the college crowd out though. Lots of tourist stuff but they keep everything as natural as they can with small nature preserves and green everywhere. Hotels are the main way to go, a few rental properties.
Thanks for the information Clint. We are all over the place with our planning right now, but this definitely helps out. The wife has been talking Hawaii, Washington, California,...you see what I'm dealing with here.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:44 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Charleston and Savannah are very historic but neither are on beaches. The beaches are relatively close though. The first shot in the war of Northern Aggression (a.k.a. the Civil War) was fired in Charleston. There are gorgeous plantation homes around both. Both have some amazing food options if you are a foodie.

Another interesting option would be the North Carolina Outer Banks. It is a narrow stretch of land up the NC coast with the Atlantic on one side and the Pamlico Sound on the other. Cost is much cheaper than Hilton Head and there is some incredible scenery, lighthouses, etc.

What do you guys like to do while on vacation? I know you have children, so are you looking for a lot to keep them entertained or do you just hang out. I am sure some of us can help find you a place if our part of the world makes the cut.

If you make it out our way, you know we have some great curvy roads and willing participants to show you around.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:43 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alan0614
Charleston and Savannah are very historic but neither are on beaches. The beaches are relatively close though. The first shot in the war of Northern Aggression (a.k.a. the Civil War) was fired in Charleston. There are gorgeous plantation homes around both. Both have some amazing food options if you are a foodie.

Another interesting option would be the North Carolina Outer Banks. It is a narrow stretch of land up the NC coast with the Atlantic on one side and the Pamlico Sound on the other. Cost is much cheaper than Hilton Head and there is some incredible scenery, lighthouses, etc.

What do you guys like to do while on vacation? I know you have children, so are you looking for a lot to keep them entertained or do you just hang out. I am sure some of us can help find you a place if our part of the world makes the cut.

If you make it out our way, you know we have some great curvy roads and willing participants to show you around.
We are trying to find a location that satisfies everyone I guess. I'm thinking the kids would like the beach, I would like the history. Like I said though, wife has no idea what she wants. I suggested Machu Picchu amd got shot down on that one.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:55 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CPTCO
We are trying to find a location that satisfies everyone I guess. I'm thinking the kids would like the beach, I would like the history. Like I said though, wife has no idea what she wants. I suggested Machu Picchu amd got shot down on that one.
Machu Picchu is high on my bucket list. Larry's wife had the opportunity to visit while on one of mission trips to Peru.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:36 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

I love Savannah! You got lots of pirate history and architectural history. You can drive over to Tybee island and be on the beach. When Jen and I went there we saw Dolphins swimming in the river.

Quick Reply: CAROLINA CHAT