Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

Inspection in NC with Off road pipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 11:57 AM
sofaking5.0
1st Gear Member

Default Inspection in NC with Off road pipe

Anyone in NC got an Off-road X-pipe and passing inspection?
Old 04-08-2012, 04:33 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Move to SC and the problem goes away.

One of the manufacturers makes a O/R x with cat deletes that can be changed for inspections. Found the link.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-ca...te-1112gt.html
I don't know how easy it is but it seems a viable alternative to removing the entire O/R midpipe every time for inspections.

How does NC handle the aftermarket cats and longtubes? Visual check that it has the cats, pass the sniffer test and you're good to go?
Old 04-08-2012, 04:38 PM
lpcard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by clowe1965
Move to SC and the problem goes away.

One of the manufacturers makes a O/R x with cat deletes that can be changed for inspections. Found the link.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-ca...te-1112gt.html
I don't know how easy it is but it seems a viable alternative to removing the entire O/R midpipe every time for inspections.

How does NC handle the aftermarket cats and longtubes? Visual check that it has the cats, pass the sniffer test and you're good to go?
Depends on the county. Mine checks to make sure everything is there, pulls the computer codes and that's about it. I believe Wake sniff-checks, I can't believe they are the only ones that do so.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:45 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

I think all counties plug up to the obd, but vary widely from there. We have a shop in Hickory that will pretty much inspect it if it rolls in on it's own.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:59 PM
sn95yellowgt

They make fuel additives to make your car pass. I was a store manager for autozone and we carried a product called guaranteed to pass. Google it..
Old 04-08-2012, 10:00 PM
GT500Steve
4th Gear Member

I went through this last year with my car.

If you have an off-road X on your car, in the tune the rear O2 sensors are more than likely turned off. If that is the case, the car WILL NOT pass NC inspections. Even though the light on the dash is not on, the code is stored in the computer. No one really makes a MIL eliminator for the S197 cars, so that is not really an option either. Only thing I have heard people doing with limited success is to place a spark plug anti-fouler in the bung where the rear O2s go, and then screw the sensor into the anti-fouler. That will sometimes get the sensor far enough out of the path of airflow so that it will not trip the light. You WILL have to load your stock tune back in the car though.

I ended up putting the factory converters back on, switching out to the factory tune and airbox, and then getting it inspected. Total pain, but I didn't have much of a choice.

Good luck!
Old 04-09-2012, 04:34 PM
brittny881
2nd Gear Member

Mine has stock H pipes with no cats or resonator.. but I'm lucky mine doesn't have to be put on the machine. Hope you find a way around it without having to put them back on each year.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:43 PM
laser.redv6sleeper

I have a 3.8 with pacesetter longtubes and am looking to go the O/R route, im in the Onslow area, any have an idea on my chances of passing? If unlikely, could I cut the first 2 cats off and have my Y pipe, with the 2 leftover convertors, modified for true dual? More costly in my mind but whatever I have to do to adapt my longtubes.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:11 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

Originally Posted by laser.redv6sleeper
I have a 3.8 with pacesetter longtubes and am looking to go the O/R route, im in the Onslow area, any have an idea on my chances of passing? If unlikely, could I cut the first 2 cats off and have my Y pipe, with the 2 leftover convertors, modified for true dual? More costly in my mind but whatever I have to do to adapt my longtubes.
I would say that unless you know a shop that will pass your car without the cats you probably want to have them on there.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:15 PM
laser.redv6sleeper

True. That being said, I've got some more thinking to do. I don't mind cats but was just wondering about the possibilities when dealing with a 96'. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Inspection in NC with Off road pipe