Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

Fun Ford Weekend - June 29th & 30th

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 01:19 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Default Fun Ford Weekend - June 29th & 30th

Just putting this out for anyone that might be interested in going to Fun Ford Weekend in Bristol. I am thinking about going over on Saturday, it will be a good chance to drive the Snakem Hwy 421, out of Boone and see some great Fords. I think Steve (GT500) will be running over there.

Let me know if there is any interest and we can put something together.

http://funfordweekend.com/2012/02/br...event-details/

http://www.421thesnake.com/
Old 05-22-2012, 03:10 PM
GT500Steve
4th Gear Member

I am planning on running True Street as long as everything goes according to plan over the next few days. Going to do some test & tune trips to the track and get some seat time as well as trying out a new tune to deal with the stresses of the True Street format. A 30 mile cruise/30 minute cool down, and three back to back passes is tough on a car.

My buddy Seth is thinking about taking his car as well and trying to win the True Street class. As long as it survives the cruise, ETs should be in the high 7 sec range at 170-175mph.

Should be a lot of fun, and if you have never been to one of these events it is really a GREAT time.

The only thing I will hate is I might miss the cruise over
Old 05-24-2012, 06:21 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

I'm trying to make this one.

wow, Steve that sounds like it would be pretty rough on the car. Hopefully you get it all shook down and set.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:42 AM
lpcard
4th Gear Member

There's one in Rockingham, too, but I don't remember what day.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:55 AM
GT500Steve
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jeffk

wow, Steve that sounds like it would be pretty rough on the car. Hopefully you get it all shook down and set.

Thanks... I hope we will get it dialed in. The True Street class pretty much goes against every common sense theory in drag racing. I guess thats what is so neat about it. After the cruise leaves the pits, the hood can NOT come up on your vehicle. If it does you are disqualified. So, after the 30 mile cruise, you basically park your car without rasing the hood so it gets really good and heat soaked before you make your passes. They line the field up in the staging lanes, then the field makes 3 hot lap passes and the average of the 3 passes is you ET, or "score" for the event. Usually I get to the track when the gates open, let the car sit for an hour before I make the first pass, and usually at LEAST a 45 minute cool down in between passes. Will be completely different than a normal day at the track for me lol!
Old 06-18-2012, 07:28 AM
2008Vert
2nd Gear Member

Any more plans for this GTG?
Old 06-18-2012, 02:09 PM
GT500Steve
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2008Vert
Any more plans for this GTG?
I haven't seen any more about it, however I will not be able to run in the True Street class. Last Thursday night I was doing the last round of testing to be ready for Bristol and I had a couple of problems. Ran a best ever ET, but with the taller tires the clutch didn't want to hold up and started slipping on the last pass, plus the hub on the blower where the pulley mounts came loose and shredded the belt. So, I am down for a least a couple of weeks waiting on the replacement parts for the blower, and not sure when I will do the clutch replacement (whenever funds will allow I guess...)

Heres a video of the best MPH pass on the small tires (wouldn't hook in 1st gear), the best ET pass on the big tires (clutch slipping on top end and killed mph), and then a couple of pics of the blower hub.

[youtube]spHjpMiOSW4[/youtube]

[youtube]w1J-vIPu910[/youtube]

Old 06-18-2012, 08:04 PM
SHOHORSE
5th Gear Member

WHAT!!!! You broke my next Mustang? So much for "never raced or abused but ready".
If the supercharger ant supercharging and the clutch ant clutching, maybe just maybe I could take you ............or not. Thanks for the videos and I will scream like a little girl if I ever get to ride with you, but who cares. Hope you are well.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:44 PM
2008Vert
2nd Gear Member

Oh, now that looks like an expensive fix, but it looks like it could have been much worse.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:45 PM
GT500Steve
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SHOHORSE
WHAT!!!! You broke my next Mustang? So much for "never raced or abused but ready".
If the supercharger ant supercharging and the clutch ant clutching, maybe just maybe I could take you ............or not. Thanks for the videos and I will scream like a little girl if I ever get to ride with you, but who cares. Hope you are well.

Lol!!! Just look at it this way... I am just finding all the weak links and getting them fixed before you take ownership!

You could definitely outrun me right now... all the spark plugs are out and the blower is laying on top of my toolbox waiting on parts. They are sending me the replacement parts so I can fix the blower, and they are also sending me a smaller pulley so we can turn it up a little more. Won't do any good till I get the clutch though...

Quick Reply: Fun Ford Weekend - June 29th & 30th