Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

St Jude event

Old 05-26-2012, 08:35 AM
jayman33
Banned

Originally Posted by Hellbound
are you going?
Larry and I will be meeting up at John's @1300 if you plan on going.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:25 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

OK...somebody keep me posted on this too...anything i can do to help, etc.

I'm sure we all frequent more than one forum, so getting the word out shouldn't be an issue.
it's usually the "what's in it for me" factor, work schedules, other events, location, etc. etc. that will determine how big the show is...

There are plenty of vendors out there that will-at the least-provide door prizes or goodie bag stuff for events.
It's just a matter of building momentum and showing the vendors we are supporting their efforts as well, which will lead them to committing more to what we do or to multiple times a year. They have budgets too, so hitting them with your plans ASAP to see what they can/can't do for you is key.

always good ideas:
50/50 raffle...EASY way to raise money
Chinese Raffle (buy tickets and you put them in jar for the item you want most). This works well as you can use gift certs and other non-car stuff that is useful to the participants and the onlookers as well
Admission Fee-even if it's $10 (100 cars=$1000), OR what does the sponsor need? (e.g. Food Shelter=bring can goods, get in free, etc)
Going to other events and hitting up the vendors in person. build the contacts, lay the groundwork. You will get a great idea of how flexible they are or who to contact
Encouraging local sponsorship-usually hitting up local businesses for donations or help can help offset some of operational costs, plus they get VERY CHEAP advertising

Being different goes a LONG way to draw people in! I hosted one show and contacted an ice cream truck company!! Hot summer days and this was the biggest hit-and most appreciated-and raked in nearly as much cash as my 50/50 (on a 70/30 split).
I don't mind sitting in a parking lot for a few hours, but having something to do afterwards is a HUGE reward for the drive and sitting around. I like the idea of incorporating a "Show & Strip" day or "Dyno & Display" day.

The WWP was a great start and for only having 50-some cars, were able to raise a considerable amount of money just from donations, selling raffle tickets, t-shirts & calendars. Think of what we could do if we REALLY put a full-blown event together!
Old 05-27-2012, 03:31 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

Alan, do you have any notes/ideas about this? I have some, but it'd be much easier for me to just meet with you and go over what has been discussed to this point.

Just let me know.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:55 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Hunter, that would be great. Are you in town?
Old 05-28-2012, 08:08 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

Yeah I just got back this evening.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:43 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Hunter, sent you a PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:59 PM
06_footy
2nd Gear Member

Any sure date? Ive been away from the forum but down to attend another gathering.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:50 AM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Stan, we are still in the idea phase. We discussed a few things, drag day, dyno day, car show, track day, etc. at the Columbia GTG. Hopefully we will begin posting some options in the next few days or so.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:46 AM
06_footy
2nd Gear Member

Works for me
Old 05-30-2012, 07:34 PM
jayman33
Banned

Alright everyone, I have a few updates. We now have a direct contact with St. Jude and after we get the venue and name of our event we will be receiving a coordination packet. Name we came up with is the "No More Chemo Cruise", St. Jude has a division "Cruising for St. Jude" so it sounded fitting. Let me know what you guys think on the name.
Past couple days Kristen and I have been compiling local vendors (dealerships, Mustang auto shops, etc) along with a list of regional vendors (lethal, AM, Evolution, JPC, Holcomb, etc). Kristen has already designed a promotional banner via vistaprint (flyers will be provided by St. Jude), let me know if anyone wants the username and password to take a look at the concept.

Now to the venues; we've corresponded a few times with the Fayetteville dragstrip. The normal cost is 8k to rent out the track for the entire day, he knocked it down to 5500 due to the type of charity we are doing. If you ask me 5500 is still outrageous of a price but thats just my opinion. Camaro South will be holding a 2nd annual "Camaros for Heroes" for the WWP on June 15-16. Its open to all street cars so I'll be attending if anyone else wants to go, I would like to get some ideas. From what I've gathered, they're doing the same event we are all interested in hosting.

You can find information on the "Camaros for Heroes" here, http://www.fayettevillemotorsportspark.com/index.html

Let me know what you guys think, the date we were looking at was Oct 13th and we'll be following up with the track on Friday to confirm this date is available. I know we planned a Dragon run for Sept/ Oct so please give me some feedback. Haven't made any promises yet to anyone but before we can get materials from St. Jude we have to lock down a date. St. Jude is expecting to hear from us on Friday. Let us know of any questions you may have to bring up with either the dragway or St. Jude.

jjaym33@hotmail.com or 734 306 5231

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: St Jude event