Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

Need a good shop around Raleigh NC

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 10:56 AM
Order_66
2nd Gear Member

Default Need a good shop around Raleigh NC

hey guys

i need a good shop that can tig weld a shock tower brace for me for a reasonable price.

anyone have any recommendations?

clayton, raleigh, benson, smithfield, garner....those general areas are local for me.

also need assistance with a CAI install since i have no idea what im doing and dont wanna mess this up, as simple as it is.

thanks!
Old 05-28-2012, 02:27 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Are you making a brace and need it welded? If its steel I can weld it for you (flux core or mig, I don't have the equipment or experience for tig welding).

CAI install you shouldn't have any problems with, pull the engine cover off, unclip the PCV hose, unclamp and remove the sound tube, other PCV hose, then unclamp the tube from the throttle body. Pull the tube out and then unbolt the airbox. Takes about 30 minutes for the removal/install.

What brand did you go with?
Old 05-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Order_66
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by clowe1965
Are you making a brace and need it welded? If its steel I can weld it for you (flux core or mig, I don't have the equipment or experience for tig welding).

CAI install you shouldn't have any problems with, pull the engine cover off, unclip the PCV hose, unclamp and remove the sound tube, other PCV hose, then unclamp the tube from the throttle body. Pull the tube out and then unbolt the airbox. Takes about 30 minutes for the removal/install.

What brand did you go with?
i got airaid CAI.

i got the steeda tower brace for the rear and the boss spring tower brace for the front, in case i ever want to add the boss manifold.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:32 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

I can weld that in for you. The next GTG we are having is in Greensboro on 6/23, I can head up there early and swing by Clayton I'm assuming with my stuff and get you welded in about 2 hours or less, free.

If you don't want to wait until then, doing the fitment and prep work will save you some money when you go to get it welded. All you will need to do is strip the trunk carpet out and remove the plastic panels from the shock towers. Take the brace and line it up where you want it positioned and extend it to keep it in place. Mark the area with a sharpie or a wax pencil and take the brace back out. Then remove the paint with a wire wheel, sandpaper, or small stripper disc inside the area that you marked off and about 1/4-3/8" around the outside. It would be ready for welding then.

You should be able to go to any machine shop, not just auto shop, and they can weld it in if you don't want to wait. If you do the prep work then it would probably run you around 60 dollars, figure 1 hour labor charge minimum, though its probably 15-20 minutes of welding/setup. If they charge you any more than 100 keep looking.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:37 PM
Order_66
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by clowe1965
I can weld that in for you. The next GTG we are having is in Greensboro on 6/23, I can head up there early and swing by Clayton I'm assuming with my stuff and get you welded in about 2 hours or less, free.

All you will need to do is strip the trunk carpet out
as far as the comment above, couldnt i just take a razor and cut out around the carpet enough to expose the area to be welded? as seen on AM website?

your offer is very generous, thank you very much! i couldhnt have you do it for free though...that aint right.

does it need to be tig welded? i do not know the diffference. what is normally done?

on a side note, why do the rear braces need to be welded but not the fronts?

thanks for your help thus far! i appreciate it.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:42 PM
Order_66
2nd Gear Member

also read this on AM...

You'll definitely need an impact gun to take off the flange nuts on the OEM shocks to install the brace.

i do not have an impact gun.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:49 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Are you planning to autocross or something? Just curious.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:01 PM
Order_66
2nd Gear Member

Nope. This is my daily driver. Just looking for less body flex and improved handling.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:02 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

You do not need an impact gun, just a torque wrench. If you don't have one I do, but if you're going to start working on your car it is a smart investment.

The rear brace is welded because there isn't a location to bolt it on.

Tig welding is used for thin metal work and detailed welds on exotic metals like stainless and aluminim. It is a higher quality weld and takes lots of practice and technique. Mig welding is more common and can be used on almost anything, but doesn't make as neat of welds and can generally be used only on thicker materials because it generated more heat.

The reason to remove the carpet is to not catch it on fire. You can cut holes in it after the brace is installed.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:03 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

Originally Posted by Order_66
also read this on AM...

You'll definitely need an impact gun to take off the flange nuts on the OEM shocks to install the brace.

i do not have an impact gun.
Are you referring to the rear shocks? You shouldn't need an impact gun for those. Even if you're referring to the front brace you won't need an impact to get those off either.

Quick Reply: Need a good shop around Raleigh NC