Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

What are you working on?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 07:46 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shellback
JJ

Looking at your car in the snow, that star on the back really shows up, sweet.
Thanks...It's a nice subtle little detail. Should have my new shift **** in the next week'ish. They are trying to match the color of the car and instead of a shift pattern, I'm having them put a large white star. Should look sweet.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:07 PM
lpcard
4th Gear Member

Subaru drive shaft. Gah. Of course it can't be that simple, oh no.

At first it was just the right side. So I got it yesterday, and today Son In Law was going to help me put it in.

Turns out both axles were bad (the left side had a split boot), and so were the ball joints! Oh what fun...they were the originals as far as I can tell, and they were rusted into the steering knuckles.

We got the right side out after much cursing and pounding (PB'laster is the good stuff) and swapped the axle out (no ball joint, they had to be ordered and they'll be here tomorrow...when I'm in Ft Mills), but we were unable to get the left side ball joint out, and the axle is rusted into the wheel hub so we didn't get that out, either.

So, everything is soaking in PB'laster until Thursday, when hopefully using pry tools and precision percussion instruments we can get everything apart so that we can put everything back together.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:12 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

Damn Larry. Sounds like you need some bigger hammers!

Seriously though, some heat might help separate those parts. That's how I got the balljoints out of the Mustang. No amount of hammering would free it.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:25 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Glad to hear PCM got you sorted out, JJ. And I'm glad to hear you liked their work. I'm thinking about using them when I need to get certain things done. I wonder how their tuning is. I know most of you are Pro Dyno guys but that's pretty far away for me and Piedmont is just down the road. I'm a bit away from needing any kind of serious tuning though.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:59 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Meh, we could probably be convinced the other way if PCM was closer for the rest of us. Once you look into it there's a lot more custom tuners out there than you know. I've found two dyno shops in columbia plus an engine dyno. I just go to Pro Dyno for the pancakes.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:00 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

JJ, Glad Peidmont took care of you and fixed the issue. They are a good bunch of guys!

Dana, sorry to hear about the dinger.

I guess it's my turn to jump in now...
Not sure what hit the windshield or when, or why all of a sudden such a tiny chip popped to this.
Only 5k on the car since we got it, garage kept...i guess it was the "perfect storm". Thankfully getting replaced tomorrow, but not really what i wanted to spend $$ on right now.

Name:  IMG_20140322_081619_144_zps2aa7ee1a.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  24.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20140322_081639_786_zps47812fb8.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  28.1 KB

While that is waiting replacement, I hit up EmblemPros for a custom faux gas cap. It got here today and i couldn't be happier with the work!
Currently the only one in this color in existence =)
They are now working on fender emblems for me.

Name:  IMG_20140401_175550_780_zps96568604.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  48.8 KB

and yes, for the record...I don't feel like paying $75k for a GT350 from Shelby, so I'm making a Carroll Shelby GT350 Tribute car.
So JJ, how hard was it to replace that faux cap??
Old 04-01-2014, 10:22 PM
Shellback
4th Gear Member

My truck and Mustang have both been hit by rocks on the road. Waiting for the summer heat to make them go crazy, insurance will cover in SC. Just replaced my wife's windshield on her honda.

Rock happen!
Old 04-01-2014, 10:45 PM
XxDISMEMBEREDxX
2nd Gear Member

So I messed with the car a bit today. I found that if I pump the clutch pedal I can drive it. The more I pump th better it works. The pressure does fade as I drive it. So it's leaking somewhere. I have seen any puddles, and I still have all the fluid in the resevoir. I'll need to have someone else look at it. Any ideas... ?
Old 04-01-2014, 11:05 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Slave Cylinder most likely...

They're only good for about 80k miles under "normal" driving conditions and are just one of those things on the 05-09's that give out regularly, like the alternators.

Same thing happened with my 07 that you are describing.
When we took it apart the slave cylinder was in about 5 pieces.

Since you'll have everything apart, now is a good time to consider an upgraded clutch, hydraulic slave cylinder and upgraded clutch line
Old 04-01-2014, 11:17 PM
XxDISMEMBEREDxX
2nd Gear Member

That's what I was thinking. I had taken the car in while it was under warranty for this issue about two months ago. Of course it's not under warranty any more. Guess I'll have to go in and throw a fit. I won't be able to upgrade if it's done under warranty.

Quick Reply: What are you working on?