Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

Ghost alarms

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 05:44 PM
Cockygt500
3rd Gear Member

Default Ghost alarms

So I was driving down the road today and 3 separate times my dash alarms started going off saying all my fluids were low, emergency brake was on, TC was off and all my gauges quit working except my tac, speedo, oil temp and boost, my radio turned off, windows and locks wouldn't work. I pulled over checked all my power connections under the hood and everything was tight. My car ran, idled and started perfect but the warnings would come back on and then all go off after a couple mins. Any ideas of what could be causing this. My cigarette charger in the arm rest quit working a few days again but other then that I haven't had any other problems from the car. The check engine light came on the last time it did it and hasn't gone off since. I am going to scan it tomorrow but all on board computer checks said everything was OK. Any ideas of what's causing this would be great.

Figures something would happen this close to be going back.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:49 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cockygt500
So I was driving down the road today and 3 separate times my dash alarms started going off saying all my fluids were low, emergency brake was on, TC was off and all my gauges quit working except my tac, speedo, oil temp and boost, my radio turned off, windows and locks wouldn't work. I pulled over checked all my power connections under the hood and everything was tight. My car ran, idled and started perfect but the warnings would come back on and then all go off after a couple mins. Any ideas of what could be causing this. My cigarette charger in the arm rest quit working a few days again but other then that I haven't had any other problems from the car. The check engine light came on the last time it did it and hasn't gone off since. I am going to scan it tomorrow but all on board computer checks said everything was OK. Any ideas of what's causing this would be great.

Figures something would happen this close to be going back.
My guess would be alternator...they are a major weak point.
Sounds like your system isn't getting fully charged or holding a steady charge, thus resulting in the ECU turning off functions and throwing the car into "limp mode"
Old 08-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Cockygt500
3rd Gear Member

I thought about that too SP. it seemed kind of odd to just happen out of the blue. I will try and get it tested tomorrow when I scan it. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:00 PM
Zodiac
5th Gear Member

Yeah my guess would be an alternator or battery issue.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:14 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

I thought about that too SP. it seemed kind of odd to just happen out of the blue. I will try and get it tested tomorrow when I scan it. Thanks for the help.
The 05-09 models are notorious for this...mine died on the 07 while driving (at 9pm), around 32,000mi
I've seen others exhibit the same symptoms you are describing @ 16,000mi.

You're better off just replacing it with an aftermarket one.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:55 PM
Cockygt500
3rd Gear Member

Any idea what you paid for yours? Any place better then others for a good one. I'm use to the old Chevy alternators on all my old rides. This is my first mustang and want to make sure I get a good one and only replace it once.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:35 PM
GT500Steve
4th Gear Member

Alternator or battery probably. I would have the battery load tested first to rule it out. Then look to the alternator.... They are bad on the 07-09 Shelby's to go out. Lots of RPMs kill them too..... I actually run a larger pulley on the alternator to keep its rpm's under spec. Anything spinning the enine over 6300 rpms and it will be hard on it, do it excessively (like me) and it will die every time. If you do end up replacing the alternator, make sure to get a GOOD one (not advance, auto zone, o'riellys)... The alternator is VERY important on the GT500s. I know of a couple of guys that killed engines because the alternator went out and the car went lean. Not trying to freak you out, but just saying the alternator is VERY important. Carquest and Napa offer DECENT reman units, and then there is always PA performance for a little extra output.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:32 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Any idea what you paid for yours? Any place better then others for a good one. I'm use to the old Chevy alternators on all my old rides. This is my first mustang and want to make sure I get a good one and only replace it once.
Originally Posted by GT500Steve
Alternator or battery probably. I would have the battery load tested first to rule it out. Then look to the alternator.... They are bad on the 07-09 Shelby's to go out. Lots of RPMs kill them too..... I actually run a larger pulley on the alternator to keep its rpm's under spec. Anything spinning the enine over 6300 rpms and it will be hard on it, do it excessively (like me) and it will die every time. If you do end up replacing the alternator, make sure to get a GOOD one (not advance, auto zone, o'riellys)... The alternator is VERY important on the GT500s. I know of a couple of guys that killed engines because the alternator went out and the car went lean. Not trying to freak you out, but just saying the alternator is VERY important. Carquest and Napa offer DECENT reman units, and then there is always PA performance for a little extra output.
What Steve said...
when mine went, it was $279 thru NAPA cuz Ford hadn't acknowledged the problem yet, so there wasn't any demand for them...so i waited 5 days for them to find one. Not so much of a problem now, but Steve is right...if it is the alternator, don't skimp...pay a few extra $$ for the little bit of "peace of mind"
Old 08-11-2013, 11:23 PM
Cockygt500
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys. I will get the battery checked first and the move to the alternator. Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:55 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

I imagine you'll have it done pretty quick but if you need some help cuz you're too busy I'm happy to oblige.

Quick Reply: Ghost alarms