Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

Vice President/Co-Moderator Nomination Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 02:05 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

A lot of people get on, get a number, and never come back to the forum altogether. Not everyone who doesn't participate, but quite a few.

My question would be what constitutes as a chapter event? We often participate in other groups events. Does that count? I see the concept but it's just tough to track or verify. Reasonably active isn't a bad requirement though.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:10 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Wow, you guys are getting pretty serious here. If I can lend my experience with volunteer organizations here, maybe it will help. Most of the time, people are not clamoring for the leadership roles. If someone wants to volunteer, usually that's all it takes. I don't have a problem with one or two year terms, but when you start rotating in and out, that's where you are bound to run into problems. Even if you can run for VP right after serving a term as Pres, that's just going to be confusing. So I would suggest this:
Hold an election every year or two, with absolutely no term limits or cycling in or out. Ideally, when a President goes out of office, the VP will step in, but it doesn't always happen.

Year one, elect Joe as president and Bob as VP.
Year two, Joe is elected as pres, but Bob ran off, so Pete is VP
Year three, Joe is elected Pres, Pete is VP again
Year four, Joe is tired, elect Pete Pres and Billy as VP

The bottom line is, all of the members of this chapter that I've met online seem like good guys, I guess I see a lot of "I'm willing to serve again, but if someone else wants to volunteer I'd be happy to let them."
Old 01-02-2014, 02:26 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

I'd say any posted event that has been planned, whether chapter or other group, with at least four members at, constitutes an event. Add to or take away from that baseline as you will.

Chris that's a good idea, just have it be every year and if no nominations are cast then it stays as is.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:59 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

I think it makes logical sense that CPTCO should be Carolina Chapter President.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:22 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

I think that makes a lot of sense too, meaning CPTCO's contribution. :P

In my opinion, any title in this group is purely an administrative one. It's just managing the forum and the email/account (if we used it). There's a lot of animosity and effort put into these discussions (typically) but in reality anyone can plan an event, making them the leader of that. The chapter is an outlet for broadcasting those details (along with planning and general chat). I'm not sure why it becomes such a point of contention.

That said, my varying circumstances (school, Ireland, no internet all summer, etc.) pull me away more than I'd like and I acknowledge that I haven't been as active as I would like or the group would like, so I'm fine with stepping down (although I don't mind staying). I just don't want the position to become more than it should be. We, as a group, have obviously done something right from the start, so sticking with that easygoing formula seems smart to me.

Last edited by HT; 01-02-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:43 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I didn't understand what the whole president and vice president thing was all about. This is just a forum, not a club, just need a mod or two for the section to clean up here and there. Don't we already have a couple of mods?
Old 01-02-2014, 03:49 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

Just myself as a dedicated mod, but we have the option of having two (i.e. a VP) as well as regular patrolling by general mods. Most of them have universal powers whereas mine are limited to this forum.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:57 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

Why does it have to be President and Vice...how about just moderator? Since its just an admin position?
Old 01-02-2014, 04:04 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HT
Just myself as a dedicated mod, but we have the option of having two (i.e. a VP) as well as regular patrolling by general mods. Most of them have universal powers whereas mine are limited to this forum.
Yeah, just section mods. Really, it's not about who goes to events and such, it's about who is active on the message board and will be around if and when a mod is needed. It's a janitor job basically, not a president job, haha.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:19 PM
SHOHORSE
5th Gear Member

Hey Chris...What did Bob do that made him run off?

Quick Reply: Vice President/Co-Moderator Nomination Thread