Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

Faux cap swap for the 13s

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 04:48 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Default Faux cap swap for the 13s

So I finished the install of my new faux cap. Completely different from the 10-12s. Some will ask, can you do this on the car without removing the entire deck lid. The answer is yes, but I believe taking it off makes it a little easier. Especially when it comes to attaching the new faux cap. So here's my write up:

The starting point.

First pop the trunk and remove the two torx screws.

Next is the frick'n scary part. Start at one side and pull the deck lid off. You will hear the "C" clips start to pop just like when you pull the front bumper off. Take your time working from one side to the other. You can see there is a top row and a bottom row. I ended up braking 3 of the lower "C" clips. Luckily the lower part also held on by the torx screw.

As you can see the faux cap is still attached to the deck lid.

Here's a pic of the back side of the deck lid showing the 3 "C" clips I broke.

I removed the 3M tape from the back of the deck lid. Not a necessary step and when I re-installed I did not put any in its place. Although removing it will help from it sticking to everything while taking the emblem off.

So here you see that the faux cap is now separated from the deck lid. I read that you can use a heat gun/blow dryer to help separate the two. As you can see there is no 3M tape residue left on the deck lid. Well, that because they don't use any to keep the two together. In the center you can see 4 square holes. There are "C" clips there that holds it in place. I do believe there is some small amount of epoxy/glue as using the heat gun did help. I would suggest having a couple pop-sickle stick available to help separate them. There are also two posts that stick out the back that you can push on to help remove it. I ended up using a heat gun, fishing line and the a pop-sickle stick substitute. (I didn't have any, but need something that wouldn't damage the deck lid). I heated it up, got the fishing line underneath and worked my way around then used the pop-sickle stick substitute to pry it up until I could use my figures to finish the job.

This is the back side of the faux cap. You will see black plastic welds. I took my dremel and filed them down and took a small screw driver and pushed them through.

This is what you have left when you do this. THANKS FORD!!!!!

That's right, it's all one frick'n piece. So I called in dremel support once again. I wanted to leave as much contact area as possible for the new faux cap to stick too so I cut out around the GT. On the left you see the black disc and the right what's left of the GT.

So Ford wasn't done there. They also made this thing slightly domed shaped. Yep, you can't set your new faux cap in flat. (At this point the dremel and I are pretty tight.) I used the dremel to level the center portion until the new emblem laid flat. Take your time so you don't scratch to outer portion.....Like I did...

Here I used small strips of 3M to help those four "C" clips hold the faux cap in place.

What I did was re-install the stock piece to the deck lid and made sure it snapped in and that the 3M was holding. Then I put the new emblem in place, popped the deck lid back on, and re-installed the two torx screws.

If you are planning on doing this and have questions let me know.

Last edited by Sleeper_GT; 02-04-2014 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:54 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Nicely done JJ. I like.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:21 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Damn! That's more work than I expected. Looks great.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:56 PM
Poppacapp
2nd Gear Member

Looks good man!
Old 02-02-2014, 06:09 PM
Zodiac
5th Gear Member

Looks good, heard nightmare stories about doing this. Alot more involved than the earlier ones.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:15 PM
DK Pony
4th Gear Member

Very nicely done JJ. Looks great and an awesome write up.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:17 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

The new Marvel commercial was just on too. Looks great.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:51 PM
*SLEIPNIR*
2nd Gear Member

Looks awesome!
Old 02-02-2014, 09:35 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Makes me feel good about having an old car lol. Looks good JJ, when are the machine gun headlights going in?
Old 02-02-2014, 09:39 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Who says they're not already in......................

Quick Reply: Faux cap swap for the 13s