Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

Short Throw Shifter Options

Old 03-18-2014, 05:22 PM
VTintheBurg540

Default Short Throw Shifter Options

So guys and gals, I've gotten pretty tired of my stock shifter since it's so clunky and I feel like it shifts pretty roughly going into second (not sure if a new shift would fix this problem, it mainly happens on cold mornings). So, here are some of the questions that I have;

1) Will a short shifter void my warranty?

2) Will it reduce the clunky and rough shifting that I experience when it's cold?

3) What is the best brand? I know people who have Hurst and Barton, the only problem I have with Hurst is the removal of the reverse lockout but I've driven a friends with a Hurst and didn't have a problem.

4) Should I buy the bracket that you can add to a Barton shifter if that is the way I decide to go? Can the Hurst use the same bracket as well?

Any and all information is appreciated!
Old 03-18-2014, 06:05 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by VTintheBurg540
So guys and gals, I've gotten pretty tired of my stock shifter since it's so clunky and I feel like it shifts pretty roughly going into second (not sure if a new shift would fix this problem, it mainly happens on cold mornings). So, here are some of the questions that I have;

1) Will a short shifter void my warranty?
No, there have been no issues with this, unless you break the stock shifter installing/uninstalling, that won't be covered.

2) Will it reduce the clunky and rough shifting that I experience when it's cold?
This has been reported both ways, some improve, some don't. Most of the time these issues are addressed by fluid changes. Amsoil worked for me, but I didn't have any cold/rough shifting issues to start with.

3) What is the best brand? I know people who have Hurst and Barton, the only problem I have with Hurst is the removal of the reverse lockout but I've driven a friends with a Hurst and didn't have a problem.

MGW FTW! mgwltd.com Their local and support a lot of our charity events, plus they have the best shifter. Kinda pricey but I had less NVH with it than with the stock setup. If you drive to augusta they'll install it, if not we have plenty of members that will lend a helping hand or be there to take pictures when something goes wrong.

4) Should I buy the bracket that you can add to a Barton shifter if that is the way I decide to go? Can the Hurst use the same bracket as well?

MGW takes care of this, they had the two post bracket before Barton ever did.

Any and all information is appreciated!
Answers in bold, hope they help!
Old 03-18-2014, 06:35 PM
VTintheBurg540

Originally Posted by clowe1965
Answers in bold, hope they help!
Thanks for the help. I'll definitely look into MGW as it is comparable in price to everything else. I don't have a problem with second gear when the fluid is nice and hot. I'll think of Amsoil in the future for sure.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:13 PM
WJBertrand
2nd Gear Member

I second the MGW shifter. I installed one in my '13 GT and the kit is astonishingly complete. Check out the installation video on their web site, it's very good and thorough. Unlike most of the other options the MGW completely replaces the entire shifter assembly, not just the upper part with the shift lever.

My transmission is still a bit notchy but I don't have situations where I cannot find the gear when shifting at higher RPM. The MGW is very precise. Totally worth the extra cost, it's so beautifully made it's kind of a shame it's hidden under the car!
Old 03-18-2014, 07:43 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

The Steeda Tri Ax is another popular option.

Here is a video that we did on our unit:

The shifter has been tested over a million shifts & comes with a lifetime warranty.

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-t...fter-555-7312/

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 03-18-2014, 09:53 PM
Shellback
4th Gear Member

I am not pleased with my stock shifter too. I also noticed that cold mornings are a problem. Saving my pennies and aluminum cans and plan on getting the MGW shifter too.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:09 PM
GT500Steve
4th Gear Member

I would suggest the Steeda Tri-ax also.... Run one in my car and haven't missed a shift since it was installed. It is kind of "mechanical" feeling, but it performs flawlessly.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:34 AM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Thank you, Steve ... for your feedback. To build on what Steve said ... here is another customer's testimonial:

100% of the slop is ELIMINATED. The shifter is not notchy, it is easy to engage each gear and finding the gate is not an issue. However you never have that mushy in between the factory shifter gave you which left you wondering: is this first or third? while sitting at a light.

My favorite part is the 2-3 shift. I push forward with an open palm and the shifter authoritatively finds 3rd for me 100% of the time. You will NOT miss 3rd with this shifter.
Best Regards,

TJ
Old 03-19-2014, 08:47 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

I enjoyed my Steeda Tri-ax when I had my '04. Also was very surprised to see how nice my Hurst was in my '03 Mach 1. Could have sworn it was a pro5.0 it was so nice!
Old 03-20-2014, 04:54 AM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

I know my MGW is way better than the stock shifter, haven't tried the others. If Steve says the Steeda is a great shifter, I would definitely believe him.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Short Throw Shifter Options