Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

Advice for reckless driving ticket (SC)?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 01:02 PM
jeffpatton

Default Advice for reckless driving ticket (SC)?

I was being a bit stupid with my car the other night. Lost control of the car and ended up in a ditch. Nothing was hurt other than my car and pride.

I was issued a shiny new reckless driving ticket for my stupidity. This is my very first accident in 28 years of otherwise responsible driving.

Any of you guys been through something similar or know of someone that has? Any advice on the ticket aspect of this Cluster$*@#?
Old 06-09-2014, 01:49 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

You can go to court and contest it...but if the cop saw you that'll be a problem. He has to prove you were driving reckless. Otherwise...pay the ticket and forget it. Everyone does idiot things occasionally.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:20 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

I would consult a lawyer....I believe reckless driving ticket has some steep points....Get a lawyer and try to get it reduced to a non moving violation and fine.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:39 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

don't see how you can get a reckless driving ticket unless the cop saw you. Not to mention, if you did a single car accident, why/how did the cops show up?
Old 06-09-2014, 04:19 PM
jeffpatton

One half of the road is an empty field & ditch that I ended up in. The other side of the road had a couple of houses. There was no traffic and nobody was outside during/after the incident some heard the commotion and came rushing out of the houses. One of the homeowners (who was rather enraged) called the police.

The car had a two busted tires and various other damage so unfortunately I couldn't just drive away and I wasn't able to locate a tow truck in time either.

It was clear to the officer what happened because of the tire marks and my honesty about my predicament...At the time I thought honesty might help my situation with him. Probably not. Pretty much everything I did that evening was text book "what not to do".
Old 06-09-2014, 04:53 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

LOL....

Yea. I guess you pay the fine. If you've done good for 28 years you may get lucky on your insurance. Good luck with it.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:14 PM
BlindGUYnAR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_GT
I would consult a lawyer....I believe reckless driving ticket has some steep points....Get a lawyer and try to get it reduced to a non moving violation and fine.
^^^ regardless if LEO saw or knows what happened. You can get it reduced.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:11 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

Yeah...you would think that for your first offense, with nobody injured and no other parties involved you'd be better off hiring a lawyer just for the points alone. I'd bet you could take a class or something and get it removed entirely from your record (not sure though).
Old 06-09-2014, 08:49 PM
jeffpatton

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'll look for a traffic attorney just to meet with them to see what they say. I don't have any points at the moment but this one ticket is worth six so it's probably wise to see if I can get it reduced somehow.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:54 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Let us know how it goes....

Quick Reply: Advice for reckless driving ticket (SC)?