Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

Why I haven't been on the forum or gone to any events

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 09:52 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Default Why I haven't been on the forum or gone to any events

Well most of you know the reason, but figured I'd post my progress.

First day we got the bane of my existence.

And that same weekend we also got a 4th dog, who has called eternal dibs on this seat apparently.

I had to dig a hole to lower the outdrive. Guess I need to figure that out when it's parking position has been established.

The general condition of the floor.....basically non-existent. Water came up everywhere we stepped.

Besides the seat vinyl being torn up, the frames and backs were rotting and/or infested with critters.

My glorious stationary gantry crane. Had to use the jeep to pull it up.

The engine ran after I had the starter rebuilt, and pumped out 20 gallons of who knows how old gas. Anybody need to burn some brush piles? Here it is all separated and ready to be pulled.

And done.

The instant the gimbal housing was out of the way, she was back. She kept bringing me a ball and dropping it inside the boat while she waited outside for me to throw it.

What was left after the seat boxes and deck were removed.

Suit Up! That suit did wonders compared to just a flanel shirt. Still itched like hell.

Here it is all clean, and a large sheet of glass laid in to reinforce some surface cracking.

Some of my patching where I got a bit greedy with the chisel had to be repaired.

In between my grinding and Lily getting in and out of the boat the keyhole had some damage to it around the bolt holes. I was going to do the repair from the inside, but decided it probably wouldn't turn out right and ended up grinding back the gelcoat to put a patch on the outside that would give me a solid surface to work with.

All clamped in place.

The end result. I had a hump in the middle but that's going to get cut out anyway.

Put in two more layers into the keyhole. I'll have to grind the edges flat before the next layer and fill in any holes with some putty.

And the transom, two layers of chop mat on the top and only one on the bottom. I'll put another on the bottom tomorrow and then it's ready to go into the boat.

That's where I am as of tonight. So I won't be going to Lenoir this weekend, and possibly missing mustang week because of a work trip, plus a few more shindigs here and there until it's done. I didn't hit my deadline of memorial day, or July 4th, so now I'm just saying it will be done when it's done.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:41 PM
RedDrop00
2nd Gear Member

Wow. First time I've seen those early pics. Seems like every time we talk, the fact that the boat still isnt done comes up. You've made great progress so far though. Just a matter of time now. Let me know if you need someone to hold the tools one weekend. It'll be just like when we put my springs on. I take off 3 bolts to your 7 lol.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:56 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by clowe1965
Well most of you know the reason, but figured I'd post my progress.

First day we got the bane of my existence.

My glorious makeshift Gallows. I knew this would be the end of me, so I wanted to be prepared...

there...i fixed it for you =)
Old 07-02-2014, 05:41 AM
DK Pony
4th Gear Member

Awesome work Crint. I've done some boat repair work but nothing like that.
Very nice job with the fiberglass too.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:08 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RedDrop00
Wow. First time I've seen those early pics. Seems like every time we talk, the fact that the boat still isnt done comes up. You've made great progress so far though. Just a matter of time now. Let me know if you need someone to hold the tools one weekend. It'll be just like when we put my springs on. I take off 3 bolts to your 7 lol.
O I think I can give you more than just a tool holding job. How bout cleaning and polishing the outside of the boat? I've got about a weeks worth of work there to do.

Originally Posted by steel pony
there...i fixed it for you =)
It's nice knowing I have friends who will tie the noose for me.

Originally Posted by DK Pony
Awesome work Crint. I've done some boat repair work but nothing like that.
Very nice job with the fiberglass too.
I should have taken pictures of all the trash I took out to give an idea of how much is actually in the boat. I'm improving, had some bubbles in the large sheet in the front but it's not super critical. I never found a cost effective filler for the strakes, looks like I'll be ripping some 2x4's to fill them in. Joy.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:40 AM
Widow Maker
5th Gear Member

Damn Clint.... that's too much like wo...wo....wo...wor...... ah fahk it!!! LMAO
Old 07-02-2014, 12:25 PM
Shellback
4th Gear Member

That is some project Clint. Glad you had your First Mate to help you. I always heard that a boat was something that sucked up your money faster than anything else (excluding a kitchen upgrade). It will be worth it when you can take it out and run into a sandbar.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:39 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

So far the money isnt that bad, unless you suscribe to the rule time=money. if that's the case then I'm about 12k in the hole.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:22 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

damn, that's a great bit of progress Clint. Got to love the furry helpers...
Old 07-02-2014, 03:40 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

"The instant the gimbal housing was out of the way, she was back. She kept bringing me a ball and dropping it inside the boat while she waited outside for me to throw it."

My pups do this too. I've found that humans need to listen to the furry ones when they tell us it's time to stop and play.

I went a different route, I bought the pups life jackets and a new personal floatation device complete with beer holders for the missus and I. It all fits nicely in the back of the Tahoe

Quick Reply: Why I haven't been on the forum or gone to any events