Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

Anyone ever replaced a driveshaft carrier bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 05:19 AM
Tribefan
2nd Gear Member

Default Anyone ever replaced a driveshaft carrier bearing?

I've had some noise coming from my rear end for a little while now. Took my car to Crossroads Ford in Indian Trail. They claim my 1.5" lowering springs caused my driveshaft carrier bearing to wear out prematurely and is causing the noise and, shocker, won't cover it under warranty. They want $620-ish for the bearing and $105 for the labor.

Based on the labor price, it must not be too hard to do the repair, but that's a pretty expensive part and I know nothing about the part or how to replace it. I can't even find the part online when doing several different google searches to see if I can find it cheaper. Anyone here have any knowledge or first-hand experience in replacing one?
Old 02-27-2015, 05:28 AM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Of course they are going to blame it on the springs. Bunch of BS, the driveshaft is a POS. Anyway, for that price you can upgrade to a one piece driveshaft and be rid of the two piece garbage.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:29 AM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

How many miles on the car John?

I would reach out to a Ford customer service rep on the forum, she is FordService.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/memb...rdservice.html
Old 02-27-2015, 07:45 AM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

I agree, one piece drive shaft time. But if you do go to a one piece drive shaft lowered you'll want an adjustable UCA to correct pinion angle.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:55 AM
Tribefan
2nd Gear Member

I've got 12,700-ish miles. Probably around 9,000 miles on these springs. The service advisor at the dealership said that this bearing is at the back end of the driveshaft, inside the rear end, if I remember correctly. He said the part is not visible from looking at the car from underneath. He said the tech put a scope or a probe or whatever on it and pinpointed the noise as coming from there.

The funny thing is when I try to google "2014 Mustang driveshaft carrier bearing", the only thing I can seem to find are a bunch of results for diesel trucks and a few pics of Mustang driveshafts and it seems to be suggesting this bearing is near there the two pieces of the driveshaft join in the middle. So I don't know what to think. I don't know of the service advisor gave me an inaccurate description of where the part is or if I'm misunderstanding my google search results. Lol.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:15 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

I still have my stock one you can have. Or try calling Carolina Driveline (Spartanburg) to see what they can do. I agree it's BS that the lowering springs do that, it would make the angle even more obtuse. If it was the ujoint at least it would be educated BS assuming you haven't corrected the pinion angle.

I don't go to ford service anymore. They quoted me $800 to fix the gears in my car just for PARTS. Pro dyno does what, 600 installed price?

Last edited by clowe1965; 02-27-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:01 PM
Tribefan
2nd Gear Member

I might have to take you up on that Clint. I'm still trying to do some research to see if it could be something other than that bearing because it seems to me like something isn't adding up. I feel like I was either told the wrong part was bad or the wrong location on the vehicle that the part is located.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:30 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

I'm sure they have got your visit to Crossroads logged into the Ford service database. Have you considered a different dealership. Crossroads doesn't carry the best reputation.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:59 PM
Tribefan
2nd Gear Member

I am actually considering trying somewhere else. When the dealership service people put notes such as "____ is bad due to customer modifying ____", does that only show up when you bring the car back to the same dealership or will another dealership see the notes as well?
Old 03-02-2015, 12:41 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

I don't think they put stuff tagged onto the Vin unless you actually get work done. Not saying other dealers in the area don't call them first, think that would just be luck of the draw. Also they are morons if they called that the driveshaft carrier bearing, went back and read what you put up and that is the pinion tail shaft bearing. Usually carrier bearings, being the one that is THREE FEET AWAY from the pinion flange are not a dealer serviceable part and they have to put in a whole new driveshaft.

It wasn't ft mill ford was it? They have a bit of an understanding with pro dyno at least. Replaced my O2 sensor for free under warranty even though I had long tubes. If it was them then I'm surprised.

Last edited by clowe1965; 03-02-2015 at 12:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever replaced a driveshaft carrier bearing?