Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

To those of you with 15 Mustangs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 05:43 PM
Zodiac
5th Gear Member

Default To those of you with 15 Mustangs.

So how are all of you enjoying them? I haven't gotten a chance to test drive one yet.

I see there are some Carolina Members here with some new 15+ please give me some pros/cons, etc.

Interesting to see what everyone thinks compared to the 11-14 stangs with the IRS.

I'm trying to negotiate a deal on one this week, unfortunately not with the dealer more negotiating with the wife. Which makes things worse. I did find one somewhat local that has the options I want so I don't have to order.

Looking at getting a CO, Auto, 3.55, and recaro seats.

Any reason to wait for the 2016? Just worried with the new Camaro incoming with the plethora of add ons and power bump that Ford will change the output after I get one.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:34 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

I drove Todd's base model and comparing it to my premium 2011 I didn't miss a thing. quieter interior, lot of modernization. Can't relate on the day to day driving it though. Also hard to compare the suspension since mines not stock, but it was a smooth ride and it didn't have the tossing sensation you get with the SRA over corner bumps. I was nice to it since it wasn't my car, but Todd's feedback was lots of wheelhop. Hopefully he'll chime in here.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:41 PM
Zodiac
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by clowe1965
I drove Todd's base model and comparing it to my premium 2011 I didn't miss a thing. quieter interior, lot of modernization. Can't relate on the day to day driving it though. Also hard to compare the suspension since mines not stock, but it was a smooth ride and it didn't have the tossing sensation you get with the SRA over corner bumps. I was nice to it since it wasn't my car, but Todd's feedback was lots of wheelhop. Hopefully he'll chime in here.
Thanks Clint. The wheelhop was a big concern for me, wife might like the fact that it's smoother ride than the old live axles.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:21 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

That would be my concern as well. I see that Steeda already has an IRS brace for the S550. Maybe that would help with the issue. That's why my Cobra had a solid rear swap. As much as I'd love a Mustang with a great IRS, I may be weird in that I like the feel of the solid rears. With the right supporting mods they carve corners pretty well still but they have that playful untamed feel that I love in a Mustang.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:02 PM
RedDrop00
2nd Gear Member

Sure Clint, I'll give it a whirl. Hard to keep her hiney planted, thanks to the IRS, but, I wouldn't change it. I wanted a car to "drive" this time around, not just a car to "drag." My 4th Mustang and I have to say I love it. I plan to do some different driving with this one than my previous fun cars. More road racing/autocross, so for me it made sense. If I had not, I probably would have gone with a used '10-14, or given into my passion for Foxes.

As Clint mentioned, the technology infused into the car, along with it's overall "feel" makes me glad I took the leap of faith. Even my base model seems very refined, and it is apparent that Ford wanted the car to appeal to a larger, more global market, finally. As anyone whose seen an episode of Top Gear will know, our beloved Mustangs are considered a bit caveman'esque to global purchasers who are used to driving more polished, fast cars. I think that may have caused some heartburn with many of the Pony car purists who feel the current version is nothing more than a falsely badged Eurocar, unjustly wearing the cherished nameplate we love so much.

As for aesthetics, like every iteration of Mustangs, there are angles I love, and some I don't care for. My '15 is no exception to that. At some angles it seems like a wide plank of wood coming down the road. A bit like a stingray swimming along the ocean floor. It's width and contoured hood give me that visual. At times it can feel like driving a sled because of this increased girth. Overall though, the more I see it the more I fall in love with her curves. A sexy combination of grown-up refinement and red blooded Mustang DNA that I appreciate more each day.

I love every Mustang I've ever owned/driven, and I've owned or driven every version from '84 to '15. I never thought I'd love one more than my Foxbody's, but my S550 may have taken their place. But, it needs to fit the style of driving you plan on doing with it. Or, as with everything, throw plenty of money at it and all issues will be resolved. ☺️

Hope this helps.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:26 PM
Zodiac
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RedDrop00
Sure Clint, I'll give it a whirl. Hard to keep her hiney planted, thanks to the IRS, but, I wouldn't change it. I wanted a car to "drive" this time around, not just a car to "drag." My 4th Mustang and I have to say I love it. I plan to do some different driving with this one than my previous fun cars. More road racing/autocross, so for me it made sense. If I had not, I probably would have gone with a used '10-14, or given into my passion for Foxes.

As Clint mentioned, the technology infused into the car, along with it's overall "feel" makes me glad I took the leap of faith. Even my base model seems very refined, and it is apparent that Ford wanted the car to appeal to a larger, more global market, finally. As anyone whose seen an episode of Top Gear will know, our beloved Mustangs are considered a bit caveman'esque to global purchasers who are used to driving more polished, fast cars. I think that may have caused some heartburn with many of the Pony car purists who feel the current version is nothing more than a falsely badged Eurocar, unjustly wearing the cherished nameplate we love so much.

As for aesthetics, like every iteration of Mustangs, there are angles I love, and some I don't care for. My '15 is no exception to that. At some angles it seems like a wide plank of wood coming down the road. A bit like a stingray swimming along the ocean floor. It's width and contoured hood give me that visual. At times it can feel like driving a sled because of this increased girth. Overall though, the more I see it the more I fall in love with her curves. A sexy combination of grown-up refinement and red blooded Mustang DNA that I appreciate more each day.

I love every Mustang I've ever owned/driven, and I've owned or driven every version from '84 to '15. I never thought I'd love one more than my Foxbody's, but my S550 may have taken their place. But, it needs to fit the style of driving you plan on doing with it. Or, as with everything, throw plenty of money at it and all issues will be resolved. ☺️

Hope this helps.
Awesome thanks for the info. I'm still interested in the occasional drag but don't plan on throwing a bunch of mods on this one. I know famous last words.

Hopefully test driving next week. Although I do have to go up to NY so maybe the week after.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:34 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Also, I wouldn't waste the money on the recaros. Try the base seats in cloth or leather before you start dropping bills.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:41 PM
Zodiac
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by clowe1965
Also, I wouldn't waste the money on the recaros. Try the base seats in cloth or leather before you start dropping bills.
I loved the Recaro's I had in my 13. I'll check out the base cloth seats before I purchase, is there a huge improvement?
Old 04-25-2015, 11:12 PM
RedDrop00
2nd Gear Member

Stock seats are quite lovely. Stock shifter as well. Immediate first mods are ideally a cat-back or axle-back exhaust, but at the very least a resonator delete so the car no longer sounds like a frightened Prius. After that, a quality dyno tune to smooth out the curves and adjust the fuel delivery (Ford seems to be running these 15's lean as hell from the factory). My second gear felt sluggish as @&$!, prior to the tune. Dan was able to massage the curves and squeeze out her full potential.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:35 AM
Allupinya
2nd Gear Member

Refined the best way I can explain the differences. Better handling as well, 10x better handling and when the suspension market really hits its going to be crazy.

I'm more of a corner carver so the IRS suits my needs. Those looking to go to the strip, a lot of work needs to be done, especially if you but some sticky radials on there.

The shifter is crap, always has been. The MGW racespec is a work of art, crisp shifts and no extra noise.

Great car, very happy with what Ford did.

Quick Reply: To those of you with 15 Mustangs.